Preferred Snap Bolts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouse51180

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just started getting into sidemount diving. I purchased a bunch of 1" snap bolts from my local shop and they work fine, but chewed up my thumbs during my training this weekend.

One of the other divers said he heard of some premium snap bolts that were not as aggressive on the thumbs, but couldn't remember who made them.

Im curious what everyone else is using or if they recommend one brand over another. I dont know who manufactured the snap bolts I have now, but the XDeep bolts look interesting with the off-centered swivel and the finger support on the back, but I did not see any info about how it is for thumbs.
https://www.xdeep.eu/nx-series-bolt-snaps-scuba-pr-140.html

The other one I was looking at were the Dive Rite bolts that are advertised as "Each bolt snap is meticulously inspected at our factory to ensure smooth edges that won't cut fingers"
Swivel Bolt Snaps | Dive Rite

I get most of mine from DGX, Piranha, and NESS

My two cents a baby cave diver in sidemount.

I own two to the XDeep clips (the small and double ender) they are easy to use, I've put the small bolt snap on my sidemount long hose, and I would use the double ender on my can light if it were shorter, but it is too long for all the applications that I use double enders for. I felt that large was too big, and I prefer butterfly snaps for my bottom clips on my bottles (an idea I got from Edd when I did my sidemount course at his shop). I would consider switching if I had an instructor that insisted that I couldn't use butterfly.

But outside the long hose in sidemount, I don't see anything that I clip off nearly often enough to justify three times the price over other bolt snaps, except maybe a SPG on backmount if you aren't using AI.

Otherwise I get most of my clips from DGX or Piranha. And the only thing that chews up my fingers is the cave.

DGX
Reasonably priced and functional

I like the small and medium clips available from DGX.

I’ve put my hands on the xdeep clips. They work awesome! Just can’t afford the price tag on them...

_R

as @tbone1004 said, the brass clip is the problem. They tend to develop sharp edges. A Dremel solves that, but it is a temporary solution...

I just started getting into sidemount diving. I purchased a bunch of 1" snap bolts from my local shop and they work fine, but chewed up my thumbs during my training this weekend.

One of the other divers said he heard of some premium snap bolts that were not as aggressive on the thumbs, but couldn't remember who made them.

Im curious what everyone else is using or if they recommend one brand over another. I dont know who manufactured the snap bolts I have now, but the XDeep bolts look interesting with the off-centered swivel and the finger support on the back, but I did not see any info about how it is for thumbs.
https://www.xdeep.eu/nx-series-bolt-snaps-scuba-pr-140.html

The other one I was looking at were the Dive Rite bolts that are advertised as "Each bolt snap is meticulously inspected at our factory to ensure smooth edges that won't cut fingers"
Swivel Bolt Snaps | Dive Rite
I like the xdeep boltsnaps, particularly the small 1/2 inch which I tend to use for my BM longhose. They work well with thick gloves bit also nice barehanded.
IMG_20200623_192430.jpg

Here's one up against a standard 1 inch.

IMG_20200623_192430.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality.

Attachments

• IMG_20200623_192514.jpg
    IMG_20200623_192514.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 194
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom