Future Directions: Where Is Diving Going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I can be confident in is that all dive operators are going to be underwater sometime by the end of the year.

I like it! This is the kind of mindset I'm down with! New recommendations, new this, new that.... C'mon, we're all divers, let's go do what we do best :yeahbaby:

I like it! This is the kind of mindset I'm down with! New recommendations, new this, new that.... C'mon, we're all divers, let's go do what we do best :yeahbaby:
“Underwater” can also be used to mean certain financial troubles.

Double entendre.

“Underwater” can also be used to mean certain financial troubles.

Double entendre.

Yes yes, I know... And that reality really is terrible.... I'm in the Philippines, this is going to hit the local dive and tourism industry(ies) like multiple tons of bricks. I just chose to try and take the more cheerful, hopeful position (albeit, maybe poorly executed)... Personally, I'm exhausted of all of the negativity and downtroddenness of this whole covid chaos, I'm ready to start being happy and doing the things I (we) love to do. And by doing so, we can begin to support the industry and, maybe, help prevent some from going belly-up.

You just worry too much over this virus. None of those matter if the virus concentrations are low & you would minimize to be exposed in high concentration area by often cleaning your hands, not touching your nose with your dirty hands, social distancing, wearing PPE when social distancing is not possible, etc.

If you hangout in hospital or with sick people without PPE. You would be exposing yourself with the high concentration of the virus.

High humidity, high temperature (summer time), and outdoor would lower the virus concentration. Diving is the perfect scenario for this.

Basically I would practice all these steps in my next liveaboard trips. My next one is in July. I’ll report to you if I get knock out by the virus & still alive (knock on wood). From then on I’ll have diving trips lining up every month till December.

July - Guadalupe, Mexico
August - Jupiter, Florida
September - Cocos, Costa Rica
October - French Polynesia
November - Tiger Beach, Bahamas
December - Raja Ampat, Indonesia

PLEASE KINDLY SHARE YOUR TRAVEL EXPERIENCES LATER :)

Funny story from a doctor who says we'll have cured cancer after this spring, because the cancer death rate will be nearly non existent because everything is being counted as COVID-19.
Well, that’s better than how Bayer, Baxter etc ‘cured’ hemophilia in the 80’s.

IMHO, diving in general is experiencing a temporary low. This does not concern me in the least as a local diver. All the interesting stuff is (and will be) still there.

So, really, is the 'tragedy' nothing more than our temporary lack of attention? If so, it will most certainly be re-discovered.

So, I will be diving SE Florida until I can resume my international travel. It could be much worse than that :)
Are you going to be under quarantine after each trip? Is it state or employer required? I had heard that just as NY citizens headed to Florida were suppose to quarantine at one time, now NY has the same for travel from Florida.

Are you going to be under quarantine after each trip? Is it state or employer required? I had heard that just as NY citizens headed to Florida were suppose to quarantine at one time, now NY has the same for travel from Florida.
Hi Lisa,

I'm retired, nobody controls what I do. My wife has asthma, we are fearful should she get ill. My quarantine is our choice, a penalty for going diving. Looks like it will be like that for now, considering how badly Florida is doing

Very best and good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom