Quiz - 27 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physiology

It is believed that nitrogen narcosis results from:

• a. disruptions in the transmissions between nerve cells.

• b. extravascular bubble formation in the brain.

• c. a severely decreased sensitivity to pain caused by silent bubbles.

• d. mechanisms that are completely unknown to science.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the Diving Physiology Section of the PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook Version 2.02 © PADI 2009:

Objective 2.10 - Explain the cause of nitrogen narcosis, state the approximate depth at which the disorder occurs and list three common signs/symptoms.

Question 1

It is believed that nitrogen narcosis results from:

a. disruptions in the transmissions between nerve cells.

b. extravascular bubble formation in the brain.

c. a severely decreased sensitivity to pain caused by silent bubbles.

d. mechanisms that are completely unknown to science.

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

What is believed to be a possible cause of OxTox? I can't recall.

They are all just theories...
Only time I was hit really bad, I was at less than 20m, in Lago Maggiore.
At the sea, I did dive down to 60m, in air, with much less effects...

this question is really on a PADI dive test? Conjecture?

a. disruptions in the transmissions between nerve cells.

Though not fully understood, it is believed that nitrogen narcosis results from disruptions in nerve impulse transmissions. Inert gases - particularly when breathed under pressure - have the capacity to cause this disruption. The degree of the disruption depends upon how well the gas dissolves into the lipid (fat) tissues. As we are all aware, nitrogen has no effect at surface pressure. But, when breathed under sufficient pressure, it too can cause the disruption of nerve impulse transmissions.

I thought so, but wasn't sure if that was for OxTox.

Or just call it a tautology, a begging of the question. What cognitive or perceptual aberration couldn't be called a disruption in nerve transmission?

I'm an educated man but I had to look that word up.

tau·tol·o·gy
noun
  1. the saying of the same thing twice in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style (e.g., they arrived one after the other in succession ).

I'm an educated man but I had to look that word up.

tau·tol·o·gy
noun
  1. the saying of the same thing twice in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style (e.g., they arrived one after the other in succession ).
It wasn't wholly uncommon when I was in school, but I don't recall it so much in the context of redundancy of simple construction, more in the vein of criticism of a purported analytical statement, that is actually just logically redundant. "You're either lying or you're not". So more used in the faulting of rhetoric than style.

It wasn't wholly uncommon when I was in school, but I don't recall it so much in the context of redundancy of simple construction, more in the vein of criticism of a purported analytical statement, that is actually just logically redundant. "You're either lying or you're not". So more used in the faulting of rhetoric than style.
Whaahhh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom