Test Dive with Mistral DH.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They can be a pain to remove. The best thing I have found are end cutting pliers like these https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-8-Inc...VCXVH7R4NDS&psc=1&refRID=W6FCA7868VCXVH7R4NDS They need to be modified some to make them work better, you need to grind the face flat until the bevel on the outside of the cutting edge is flat with the face. Reinstalling them is best done with modified vise grip pliers but unless you are trying to keep the reg looking original, I highly recommend replacing the clips with a ring clamp. They are much easier to install/remove and allow you easy access for setup and cleaning. Ring clamps were sold as an accessary in the late 50's and early 60's so they are period correct if that matters to you.

+1 to that herman! I've been spared from those clips. The jet air had nuts and bolts, the 70's royal aqua master was manufactured with the clamp. :) It's $25.00 well spent, something you get your monies worth from, IMO.

I like the ring clamps, but I also made screw together c-clamps modeled off an old advertisement I saw on VDH. If you want to keep the C-clips for authenticity, I could send you some of my screw clamps that could be used for testing and tuning... Then pit your c-clips back on when you're sure you have it how you want it.
Respectfully
James
20200619_121711.jpg

@CT-Rich
For future reference
I have a supply of original equipment "Cir" Clips --at a reasonable price-- just in case you want to remain original.
I also has a supply of original equipment Mistral HP seats
also hoses mouth pieces and boxed of parts for RAM s

SDM

@James79

"I like the ring clamps, but I also made screw together c-clamps modeled off an old advertisement I saw on VDH. If you want to keep the C-clips for authenticity, I could send you some of my screw clamps that could be used for testing and tuning... Then pit your c-clips back on when you're sure you have it how you want it.
Respectfully
James "]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Interesting adaption of the "Screw Clamps"

FYI
They were designed and developed by the late great NorCal pioneer diver/NAUI instructor Stan Shelly who established and operated Stan's Dive Shop.
He advertised the, clamps, via SDM but was too soon in the market place therefore had very few buyers.

Prior to his passing 25 or more years ago we were chatting about the clamps - he discovered he had one set remaining and sent them to me.

I placed them in a display box, set them on my a shelf in my den where the still are on display
I took them down 3 times once as a "Show & tell what is ii" and what is it for ? not one of the experts guessed their function- and once for Alex Peirce and once for @Scuba Lawyer

The ones you have reproduced are considerably larger and bulkier than he originals, but you certainly must receive an A for effort and injunity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ring Clamps
During the time of their initial impact I was a advisor/consultant and the US Divers company instructor

They were originally invented and produced in Canada,
They were initially not well recenmved by the officials of US Divers who resisted using then on their units for a number of reasons,

Finally during he last production run of the double hose regulators they equipped the RAMS with the clamps.
That is the basics -- there is a lot more to the story- another time -another date -another post
SDM

These are some tools I have made.

Attachments

• DSC01203.JPG
    DSC01203.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC01207.JPG
    DSC01207.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 64.jpg
    64.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 115
@captain

\
These are some tools I have made.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fantastic !
I had a pair of factory made clip removal tools and misplaced or lost them
This is a perfect example to follow to make another pair of clip removal tools
I have just discovered you are my new new best friend !
I will cheer for LSU and make some gumbo in your honor

Sam

To get the clips off, I worked narrow standard screwdriver underneath the middle and pryed them off. To open them up to put them back on, I used a vise grip on the lower edge. To re-crimp them I used the vise grips a second time. The mechanical advantage they provide is almost scary. Those little suckers may never come off again...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom