Grand Cayman in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redfoot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a really good opportunity to go to Cobalt Coast in late October. Great package deal from a dive shop that would get me all in (15 boat dives +shore dives, all inclusive, Nitrox with flights) for under 3K.

I think some on here generally travel to the Cayman Islands around that time?

Anything to be aware of?

Obviously, pending the COVID situation, I will make sure I am OK with the cancellation terms before booking.

Thanks!

That's a fine time of year, at a fine price at a fine resort. You'll have plenty of options at Cobalt Coast. October is getting towards winter, when access to the northern sites can be a little more challenging because of nor'easter storms, but you should be able to get up there on some of the days you are there, if you're interested. But there are plenty of dive sites to the south of Cobalt Coast, including Bonnie's Arch, Hepp's Pipeline, Big Tunnels, Round Rock and Trinity Caves, all of which are awesome and really close to the resort. Then you have the whole of Seven Mile Beach - the sites there are accessible all year round (Kittiwake, Oro Verde and Doc Poulson wrecks, as well as dozens of deep wall dives and shallower spur and groove reefs). Make sure you shore dive Cobalt Coast while you're there. It's a great site, with a undercut mini-wall, where you can find tiger grouper as well as schooling snappers and grunts, and a wide sand plateau packed with hogfish, stingrays, grey and queen triggerfish and sea turtles. The dive pros up there have have also seen the occasional hammerhead pass through. Enjoy!

Conditions here in October are usually pretty good on one side of the island or the other - north or west. Just checked my dive log for October and sunny days with temps (air and water) usually in the low 80s.

However, having watched all of the Premier's televised Covid briefings, I'm guessing there is zero chance the borders will be open by October. The borders are officially closed until Sept. 1, but he has said over and over (and over) that he is not optimistic they will open by then. Even if they are, current protocol requires anyone entering the country (so far just repatriated citizens and residents) to quarantine in a government managed facility for a couple of weeks. Per the Premier, opening the borders "normally" would require an effective vaccine, or an effective rapid testing protocol (which would probably require flying through Miami and getting tested there before getting an entry visa.), or some treatment that "turns the virus into the flu." So make sure you can cancel if the borders are closed.

We often go to Cayman in late October and we have had both gorgeous weather and wet, windy weather.

It is the end of the hurricane season but it is not impossible to run into a serious storm, but last October/November we were there for 14 days and we only had one bad, rainy day - the rest of the time was gorgeous.

In general it is a lovely time of year. The weather is warm but not as hot as during the summer. The island is quiet because there are traditionally fewer visitors during the break between summer and the holidays - although no one knows what is likely to happen this year.

Cobalt Coast is on the far north end of the west bay and it can get winded out during the fall and winter. The dive boats will still go out from a different dock but you may not be able to shore dive the house reef due to the winds. You can usually still go shore diving with Sundivers at Macabuca if you wish, but you will need transportation and there is a fee (only about $15 per tank and that includes weights).

All in all, it sounds like a great deal but just make sure you can get refunds (or at least rainchecks) in case it doesn't happen.

So I get to be here in October and have a dive boat that operates on the West Side of the island. October is beautiful. It is quite and peaceful. The winter winds are still months away unless there is a fluke front that can happen any time. Actually because we usually have regulars and not a demanding schedule taking the extra time to go to sites like Ghost Mountain often happen in that timeframe. December through Feb is generally the time for wind issues. It has been sleepy time on the island in past years. Many ops/restaurants etc close for renovations and to give staff much needed breaks before ramping up for the first busy week at Thanksgiving and then the start of high season. This is because tourism grinds to a halt as schools in US and U.K. have just gone back in. There are normally incredible deals and enticements for businesses that remain open. It’s a great time to get a great holiday for the lowest price! That said this year everyone will be up and running as soon as they can. So many business owners from restaurants to dive ops etc have sacrificed so much to keep their staff on, they really need the cash. I have to agree however that our borders being open to visitors in October seems unlikely to me as well based on what the Premier has said all along and that was before the current situation in the US. If you don’t get the October deal, I am sure there will be plenty more out there going forward. Everyone is very anxious to welcome our guests back when it is safe.

Thanks all for the feedback and honest observations on the probability of travel.

I will keep checking the travel updates and wait to make a decision.

Re: weather, I have no personal experience but always turn to what I've found to be a super useful website -- Weather Spark -- when trying to make general assessments of typical weather someplace. They report average data for a number of locations in the Caymans (The Typical Weather Anywhere on Earth - Weather Spark) and do a nice job visualizing the data, too.

I personally think the for an American, travel to Cayman in October is wishful thinking. After all that Cayman has done to control Covid, why would they open the border to a country with such a high disease incidence.

My wife and I have had a trip planned for GC, in October, for a year now. I’m hopeful we’ll get to go, but not at all confident.

Oh well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom