Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillpusher,

I think you probably know this since it has been discussed many times before (Including DandyDon a few posts earlier in the thread , but actually cases in Mexico is probably 10x to 20x reported numbers so I wouldn’t latch on to the 18 cases in Cozumel . You might have meant this sarcastically and I just didn’t catch it, which is definite possibility given your screen name

Mexico and Q Roo have some of the highest positivity ratings in the entire world (north of 50 percent , indicating they are likely only capturing a small percentage of the actual cases ). You can see an interesting thread from a Harvard epidemiologist at bottom of this post . Mexico is only bothering to test the very sick. There are have also been numerous wide disparities between confirmed/reported Covid deaths and actual Covid deaths (with actual linked to Covid much higher). Even the Mexican government used to say actual cases was in the range of 8x reported cases, and I think when you use deaths as a guide you can say that even 8x is quite low

Politicians in general and Mexican politicians specifically are not the most trustworthy bunch , but this is one of the few times where I would think the correct strategy might be to downplay the scale of pandemic here. Quintana Roo absolutely cannot live without tourist dollars for another 7-12 months until we hopefully have a vaccine Herd immunity is at 55-70 percent of the population—it would be catastrophic to go the route.

The politicians need to try to convince the tourists it is safe to come back. It is not really greed (well, not only greed)—it’s economic necessity The optimal strategy is to do everything possible to restrict the spread among the locals (and to tourists ) while still trying to convince tourists the risk is low. Maybe it is just coincidence, but this appears to be what they are doing. Both the super high mortality rate in Q Roo and Mexico (12-20 percent mortality even ignoring undercounted deaths ). and the super high positivity rate indicate the actual scale of the pandemic is much higher than the confirmed cases in the news indicate . Note best estimates for true Covid infection mortality rate in a normal population with good hospitals is around 0.5% to 0.8% if you don’t overrun the hospitals Mexico doesn’t have the best hospitals, so maybe their mortality rate is a few times other countries but that would get you to 2 percent or so , not 12-25 percent You can get to 23 percent for Q Roo if just look at the recovered and the dead. You can’t use the total deaths by total cases because a bunch of people that currently have virus will sadly move into the deaths category as opposed to the recovered category. Undercounting cases and overstating mortality is true everywhere due to asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic cases , but probably nowhere more true in the world than Mexico (possible exceptions Brazil, Russia and Iran ).

Sorry for the long commentary. Just to be clear , tourists should please come to Cozumel and spend as much money as possible. I can assure you I am definitely doing my part to support the Cozumel economy , but I can’t do it alone Tourists should just be careful while they are here. This goes doubly for people from US States where Covid cases are rising rapidly including my home state of Texas. You don’t want to catch Covid in Cozumel , and you don’t want to give someone in Cozumel Covid.

Harvard Mexico positivity twitter thread :

[https://mobile.twitter.com/drericding/status/1274816278197342209]

Yes, it was definitely sarcasm, no worries. I had even mentioned on this thread (or maybe it was another, I don't know) previously that next to nobody is likely being tested there due to the high cost, and people are just sucking it up unless they feel bad enough to the point where they are in fear for their life.

I'll be there for a week starting on Saturday. I'll be diving each day, and dining out each night to try to support as much as I can. And yes, of course, I'll be wearing a mask around town when there's not either a taco or a beer in my hand.

Back in December, several of my co-workers were ill with upper respiratory illnesses. Even those with perfect attendance missed several days of work. I was OCD about handwashing etc because once I get ANY cold, my sinuses are crap for weeks. I had an early Feb dive vacation and didn't want to take chances. In Jan I caught what was circulating at work. Alas, no sinus issues this time, just respiratory. After 3 days of losing my voice from coughing so much(much to my husband's dismay, I'm sure) I went to urgent care. Negative flu swab, and I recovered quickly with mild, but lingering cough. I went diving in Feb and had a blast. In May my routine blood work was jacked up. My amazingly awesome nurse practitioner ordered a Covid antibody test. It came back as reactive. Who knows how long the antibodies will last or if they will be of any benefit. I am crossing my fingers that I will visit Cozumel in Oct. Still not sure about my comfort zone(husband tested negative for antibodies). All I can say is that this Genie has been out of the bottle for much longer than the CDC, WHO and everybody else hypothesized! I look at the data from Sweden which did not mandate lock downs(IHME | COVID-19 Projections) and promoted herd immunity. Initially, things were bleak, but now it looks like their stats are emerging more hopeful than the US.

@WetInPortland Thanks for taking the time to post these updates daily, it's appreciated!
You're welcome, but all good things must come to an end. I'll be wrapping up my daily updates at the end of June. Perhaps someone else will pick up the baton?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A reminder that this thread is about Covid-19 in Cozumel....not the U.S., not Sweden, or wherever. I have just done a clean-up of a number of the thread, and edited a few posts with quotes of those deleted posts. Please stay on-topic or start a thread elsewhere on the board to discuss the virus in your country. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

From the 26-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           3,230  ->  3,304
     Social Isolation             731  ->    767
     Hospitalized                 183  ->    184
     Recovered                  1,775  ->  1,802
     Deaths                       541  ->    551
Q Roo Tests pending               390  ->    427

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               81  ->     83
     Recovered                     47  ->     47
     Deaths                        16  ->     16
     % Hospital rooms in use       21% ->     26%
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1276562932818685953/photo/1
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

QRoo Governor Carlos Joaquin announced that all of the state will remain in the "orange" semaphore status for the week of June 28 - July 5.

The ferry companies have increased the daily runs to/from Playa del Carment from three per day to four per day.

From the 26-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           3,230  ->  3,304
     Social Isolation             731  ->    767
     Hospitalized                 183  ->    184
     Recovered                  1,775  ->  1,802
     Deaths                       541  ->    551
Q Roo Tests pending               390  ->    427

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               81  ->     83
     Deaths                        16  ->     16
     % Hospital rooms in use       21% ->     26%
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1276562932818685953/photo/1
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

QRoo Governor Carlos Joaquin announced that all of the state will remain in the "orange" semaphore status for the week of June 28 - July 5.

The ferry companies have increased the daily runs to/from Playa del Carment from three per day to four per day.

I'm guessing early morning Coz departures weren't added? (for whale shark tours)

I'm guessing early morning Coz departures weren't added? (for whale shark tours)

This was Winjet, if Ultramar added I'd think it'd be similar although I seen they started using a bigger boat the other day - the ferries were getting too crowded

106004910_555663491783343_5603861326543810799_o.jpg

From the 27-June noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           3,304  ->  3,398
     Social Isolation             767  ->    819
     Hospitalized                 184  ->    185
     Recovered                  1,802  ->  1,838
     Deaths                       551  ->    556
Q Roo Tests pending               427  ->    426

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               83  ->     87
     Deaths                        16  ->     17
     % Hospital rooms in use       26%  ->    28%
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1276923508719788033/photo/1

Following up on Thursday night's announcement by QRoo Governor Carlos Joaquin that all of the state will remain in the "orange" semaphore status for the week of June 28 - July 5, yesterday he posted that the infection rate is increasing in Chetumal, which, if it continues, would move that area back to the "red" stage.

Quick question for anyone who has flown from the U.S. to Cancun recently, how full has your flight been? I have a flight booked on Southwest in July, it's coming up fairly soon, and I'll probably cancel if the flight is anywhere near full. I'll contact SW to ask about it, but I thought I'd also get some general idea from folks flying these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom