Genesis 2.2 vs Seacraft vs Magnus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought the Dive-X Piranha scooters were pretty much the "it" scooter for anyone who will travel by plane. Heck, even if you don't fly to dive, the dewalt batteries are a huge benefit.

I have never heard of the operators in Florida requiring a cave DPV card to rent either. Ginnie was the first place that I was aware that actually required it, and up until recently they accepted Abe Davis in lieu of the dpv card. This may have changed after Craig died two years ago, but not universally

Stuart was mentioning Mexico operators... with the delicate cave formations there and their open stance on preservation, I’d expect them wanting to see a cave DPV certification....

Florida is a whole bother ball game!

_R

I would suspect the operators I mentioned would have to know you and trust you or you show a card. Those were just cave specific examples and the people I know that run those shops might have some questions if some random person showed up and wanted to rent an XK1. If you have a dpv card they won't care.

I would suspect the operators I mentioned would have to know you and trust you or you show a card. Those were just cave specific examples and the people I know that run those shops might have some questions if some random person showed up and wanted to rent an XK1. If you have a dpv card they won't care.

Meaning? If you have a card, they'll rent you one without questions? Or meaning, if you're some random person, they won't care if you have a card or not, they are still going have some questions?

Meaning? If you have a card, they'll rent you one without questions? Or meaning, if you're some random person, they won't care if you have a card or not, they are still going have some questions?

If you've got a c-card they most likely will rent you one. If you're some rando that doesnt have a cave ccr card and want to scooter around the cave they will either deny you or need to find out more about you. I would say the best bet is to have a card.

The point though was that it 7 years of travelling to cave dive I've never needed to even consider bringing a scooter. I know nothing about OW options. I would think most OW dive boats wouldn't allow scooters anyway.

Stuart was mentioning Mexico operators... with the delicate cave formations there and their open stance on preservation, I’d expect them wanting to see a cave DPV certification....

The only place that someday might care or check would be Dos Ojos. Most of the rest check cave cards but marginally read english. They wont ever require DPV or cave DPV. Spending more on duty than it's worth to get your flyable scooter through customs in Cancun is a hefty deterrent. Finding a place to rent you a scooter might be a challenge preservation wise unless you are well known, most MX tourist divers swim anyway

I thought the Dive-X Piranha scooters were pretty much the "it" scooter for anyone who will travel by plane. Heck, even if you don't fly to dive, the dewalt batteries are a huge benefit.
The trim on the blacktip makes it a really horrible cave scooter anyway. And the battery is quite small for actual cave scootering

The point though was that it 7 years of travelling to cave dive I've never needed to even consider bringing a scooter. I know nothing about OW options. I would think most OW dive boats wouldn't allow scooters anyway.

When you live near a cave diving location (like you do) you don't need to travel and you just bring your DPV from home, but for those of us that live on the other side of the country and travel to Florida, It's $40 in baggage fees each way and I have a DPV that I know for the whole trip, instead of $100 a day. I take a DPV on EVERY open water vacation for four reasons.

#1 I can get away from the crowded dive sites (or the group on a live-aboard) and I'll find A LOT more interesting things than staying near a group of flailing divers with noisy regs and flashing strobes, frightening the fish off. ...and YES, the boat operators let you use them as long as you are not a nuisance to the group or hazard (most likely to yourself).

#2 I can get to dive sites that are not accessible by swimming, due to either current, distance or both.

#3 I can stay down over 50% longer on a tank, since I'm not using gas anywhere near as fast as swimming. I have no problem getting 90 minutes from an AL80 with a 60ft average depth. Usually get cold, before I run out of gas.

#4 Kickin's for chumps! ..disregard my fins, they are just for steering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom