Calling DS Glue Experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So last night I glued my Si-tech Trigon P valve port onto my ds. I thought I had it really good, but there's a small sliver where the suit does not go under the port tight like I would like. I can take pictures later, but attached is a picture of the port. Where the suit is not tight is maybe ~ 1/8" gap out x 1/4" around the port. It's close enough that you can't see it (hidden by the lip), but I know it's there and I would consider that a slight week point.

My question is, can I heat the glue some until it's pliable and move the suit where I want just on that side and be done? Or would I have to completely remove the port and start again if I heated it up? Does heat "break down the glue" or just allow it to become workable again (if that makes sense).

This is 100% my fault, and I'll start a thread when I get all the way done. I cut the hole to be perfect size, in reality I should have cut the hole tight and let the neoprene squeeze around the port....I can get it to work, but live and learn.

internal-valve-port_2.jpg

You may get away with heating the glue and moving things around but I would recommend heating the glue, removing the port/gasket, cleaning the glue off, and then re-gluing with the knowledge gained from the first attempt.

-Z

You may get away with heating the glue and moving things around but I would recommend heating the glue, removing the port/gasket, cleaning the glue off, and then re-gluing with the knowledge gained from the first attempt.

-Z

To be really honest this IS attempt # 2, lol. The first attempt was not at all great. It's 100% because I cut the hole exact. If I would have cut the hole smaller, it would naturally want to pull tight...

DRIS has video on youtube and there are some posts on SB about installing pee valves...some valves don't require the gasket to be glued, though I am not sure about the trigon.

Here is the DRIS video:

Hope that helps.

-Z

DRIS has video on youtube and there are some posts on SB about installing pee valves...some valves don't require the gasket to be glued, though I am not sure about the trigon.

Here is the DRIS video:

Hope that helps.

-Z

Thanks, have watched that video ~ 15 times so far:)

The Trigon "gasket" or port that I pictured above is what gets glued to the suit. Then the P valve is screwed together through it with an inside / outside.

I've never installed the tinkle (or any other P valve), but I would imagine that might be a little easier because you're only dealing with one side (gasket) as opposed to the "port" with the trigon. I just liked it because it had such a low profile, and again if I didn't cut a big hole it should not have been an issue.

I'll try to heat up just that area and stretch it under the port. It really only needs to stretch just a bit (and really it's probably fine as is...).

It's really more to do with my bit of OCD...

I don’t get exactly what is not aligned but if in doubt probably best to remove and start over.

I don’t get exactly what is not aligned but if in doubt probably best to remove and start over.

In the picture I posted up top it's the same piece just front and back. The one on the left is the front and has a lip on it that comes through the suit just like a port. On one very small section I didn't get the suit to go up tight against this part of the port, so if you peel that part of the port back there is a slight gap there. Does that make sense?

I know a picture would have cleared that up, but I'm at work

Here's a crude drawing (very crude). The red line represent the suit underneath that ridge on the port. You can see on one side there is a slight gap.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 67
In the picture I posted up top it's the same piece just front and back. The one on the left is the front and has a lip on it that comes through the suit just like a port. On one very small section I didn't get the suit to go up tight against this part of the port, so if you peel that part of the port back there is a slight gap there. Does that make sense?

I know a picture would have cleared that up, but I'm at work
Not completely, can you just trim a bit of the suit away?

Back
Top Bottom