Calling DS Glue Experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be really honest this IS attempt # 2, lol. The first attempt was not at all great. It's 100% because I cut the hole exact. If I would have cut the hole smaller, it would naturally want to pull tight...

I have no advice for you: I’m certainly not a dry suit glue expert. But really just wanted to add a plus one here. I did exactly the same thing when I put the P valve in my trilam suit. Next time I too will cut the hole at least a 16th of an inch smaller.

ETA: I have a thread out there about me putting in the P valve in my suit. I used the neoprene washers from Home Depot like I’ve seen on YouTube videos. It worked very well without any type of sealant. I actually went back and added RTV because I thought there was a problem, but it turned out I had a leak in my crotch, not the P valve hole! The RTV has worked out just fine as well. I chose it because it’s removable.

Aqua seal is pretty solid when set up but flexible.

It is, but it's also permanent. If something ever happens to the port it would be a bear to get out.

I have no advice for you: I’m certainly not a dry suit glue expert. But really just wanted to add a plus one here. I did exactly the same thing when I put the P valve in my trilam suit. Next time I too will cut the hole at least a 16th of an inch smaller.

ETA: I have a thread out there about me putting in the P valve in my suit. I used the neoprene washers from Home Depot like I’ve seen on YouTube videos. It worked very well without any type of sealant. I actually went back and added RTV because I thought there was a problem, but it turned out I had a leak in my crotch, not the P valve hole! The RTV has worked out just fine as well. I chose it because it’s removable.

You are correct, but the Trigon comes with the port shown in the pictures that I posted, which is glued into the suit. All others (newer anyway) besides the Trigon use the washer glued into the suit (and hindsight would have been easier, but I'm here now, lol).

I doubt anything will happen to the port before the suit is a goner, also aquaseal can be pealed off most of the time, if the port were damagedyou can probably glue a new port to the old glue that is set into the fabric.

Ok, just a little update. I heated with the wife's hairdryer and used a pair of needle nose pliers to pull / push the suit and close the gap, rolled it with a little roller and put some heavy weights on it.

Before the weights I had a look and it looks pretty good. I'll let it sit for a few hours, and then have to glue down the lip again, but that's more for aesthetics than anything.

Heating and stretching slightly seems to be the ticket (unless of course it leaks:))

Hoping to test tomorrow.

Does anyone know of a way to use like a needle applicator for the glue? I'd like to be able to "inject" some under the lip of the port without making a huge mess. The paintbrush just kind of "globs" it on there....I need something with a little more finesse.

Any thoughts?

I doubt anything will happen to the port before the suit is a goner, also aquaseal can be pealed off most of the time, if the port were damagedyou can probably glue a new port to the old glue that is set into the fabric.

My experience with aquaseal is it's pretty tough to get apart. It can be done, but a lot less workable than regular drysuit glue, even with a lot of heat. With aquaseal you almost have to be 100% sure whatever you're doing is permanent and perfect. The drysuit glue takes longer to set, but if mistakes were made (and so far I've had my fair share, lol) it can be fixed without any issues. Just heat, pull apart (very easily), clean with MEK, and glue again.

I also have aquaseal, but when trying to remove fmy drysuit rings to have another go (because mistakes were REALLY made the first time) it was a real bear to get off. It was glued so well that it actually took chunks of the neoprene with it.

Thankfully, this suit was used and I anticipated mistakes to be made as I learn. Everything looks good that I've done so far, and the glue holds up really well once set.

If there was a leak from a hole in the suit I wouldn't hesitate to use aquaseal to add a patch to the inside...

Just my take on the 2 options....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom