A change of heart, Scubapro D420

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They look very tidy mate!
If you are looking for a new home for your con shelfs & parts any time, happy to chat in PM

Can someone run down for me how the D420 differs functionally from the D400? How is the D420 superior to the older model? I don't need a lot of detail. I'm just curious about the development of the D420 so many years after the demise of its predecessors.

Can someone run down for me how the D420 differs functionally from the D400? How is the D420 superior to the older model? I don't need a lot of detail. I'm just curious about the development of the D420 so many years after the demise of its predecessors.

D420! How about that?

When I asked for an opinion I was steered to an 89 page thread, mostly composed of one liners. I did not look at #616 as a condemnation of the D420, just the fact that a D400 might be a better breather than an out of the box D420. I took this as they are more alike than different. As I stated in another post, I am a little leary of a regulator that demands such expert attention to be usable or safe. I guess what I was really asking here is how is the D420
different, how is it better, and how does it justify its high price. I ask because I have a nice D400 that I recently purchased. I am not an expert in SCUBA regulators by any means, but I do have a general interest in how different approaches to problems evolve.

Parts... that I get.

When I asked for an opinion I was steered to an 89 page thread, mostly composed of one liners. I did not look at #616 as a condemnation of the D420, just the fact that a D400 might be a better breather than an out of the box D420. I took this as they are more alike than different. As I stated in another post, I am a little leary of a regulator that demands such expert attention to be usable or safe. I guess what I was really asking here is how is the D420
different, how is it better, and how does it justify its high price. I ask because I have a nice D400 that I recently purchased. I am not an expert in SCUBA regulators by any means, but I do have a general interest in how different approaches to problems evolve.

Parts... that I get.
Parts and parts. The 420 is to new to give a deeper meaning to the answer and that newness led to some real frustration since it seemed even the assembly team in Italy didn’t know how to set them up. I had to let go of some deeply seated understanding to get the beast to perform. The D400 can also be a total bear to tune and if you needs some parts the sources are limited of course getting new parts can also be a challenge.

Dive the 400 until the 420 is easier to buy but I see the 420 as a great long term high performance reg.

Thanks, Lexvil. I did find a really excellent video on YouTube that has answered my questions. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom