Alor October - How many mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be at Alor Divers Oct 1 - 10 if that matters to anyone....

- Bill

It matters to me Bill. Nonetheless, I won't be able to join you.

I was at Alor Eco Divers a few weeks ago and most dives were from 24-27 but one dive at Apuri Deep was 18! Someone else’s computer clocked 16.
I was in a fairly new 5mm and was fine. Used a hood but sometimes, a buff. Luckily I had my hood for that one freezing dive.

I was at Alor Eco Divers a few weeks ago and most dives were from 24-27 but one dive at Apuri Deep was 18! Someone else’s computer clocked 16.
I was in a fairly new 5mm and was fine. Used a hood but sometimes, a buff. Luckily I had my hood for that one freezing dive.

That is treading into 8/7 semi-dry or 7mm territory for me. yikes!

I'm bringing my compressed 5mm and adding some Frogskins L/S and Frogskin hood just in case. I don't know if I can handle a 3mm hooded vest...I have really started to dislike traditional neoprene hoods. They give me headaches and tend to make me feel nauseated. I hope it will be enough....or maybe I should bring it just in case. It will be my first time traveling with 2 checked bags if I bring all this extra stuff.

I get cold fairly easy so was planning on taking my 5mm when I go to Alor next month. But what is a Frogskin? I have never heard of that!

I get cold fairly easy so was planning on taking my 5mm when I go to Alor next month. But what is a Frogskin? I have never heard of that!

It's the Australian version of Lavacore/Sharkskin but supposedly better. You can wear them alone to replace wetsuits or under other wetsuits to create extra warmth. A few Aussies I know turned me onto this brand - their iDry wetsuits also look amazing. It dries in no time flat. Here are the Frogskins.

Here is @guyharrisonphoto 's review of them that really helped win me over as well: Probe Frogskins--Best Dive Skins Yet?

We were at Alami Alor last November and had super high temps for first few days-- around 30C, but also did dives around Anenome City or site looking for threshers and it was 17C... we were there about 12 days and the current changes really drop the temps.. most of the sites in the channel and even a bit up north were in the 23-26 C range and colder as the week progressed!
Had a sealed 5mm, lavacore vest/hood and a heated vest for the colder dives.. was freezing on the sub-20C dives even with all on and gloves, sharkskin socks/boots... but on the flip side, was sweating in just the 5mm when swimming for hammerheads or muck diving at the start of the week.. Layers is your best bet.
Alor was fantastic.. will take the chill or sweating anyway to enjoy all that we saw:)

Yes, I swam with Mola molas three times and got a photo of one underwater. Amazing critters! Another highlight was a thresher shark that appeared twice on one dive. Alami Alor was very nice, but I didn't care for the long boat rides and the food. My friend and I were craving soup to warm up from the cold water and they never served it.
hello there, i was looking at Alami for an upcoming trip, hadn't come across negative reviews regarding the food before. Could you elaborate on what you didn't like so I can have the right expectations?

I was surprised at the food as I had been to Lembeh the year before and love the food there. The main problem is they had a very heavy vegetarian lean to the menu and that is not my life choice. After a few meals, everything tasted the same and the only way I got through it was to load up on the sweet soy sauce. I needed the calories to dive so it because a matter of force feeding. The biggest disappointment, however, was the total lack of soup at any meal. We were diving in some cold temperatures, followed by long boat rides, and a nice Ramen soup would have been delightful. My dive buddy and I had just spent six days at Crystal Blue in Anilao and the food is fabulous there! What a let down, foodwise, at Alami Alor. The funny thing is that my dive buddy originally is from Korea and loves spicy food. He was greatly disappointed, too, and still complains to me about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom