Slung Pony, Second on a necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am calling out @tbone1004 because I think that he has talked about this. But I'll take info from anybody. I can say that I used the google search for "site:www.scubaboard.com tbone1004 pony necklace" but couldn't dig up the post I thought I had read. So I apologize if it has already been hammered out. I did try. I also didn't want to DM in case it might help others.

So, I am taking the SDI solo course. I intend to sling a pony (Sorry, tbone. I know it is not your favorite but sidemount or twins aren't for me yet. Sidemount probably someday.). And I would like to put the pony second in a necklace so that none or near none of my muscle memory would need to change if I ever needed to abandon the primary.

Am I going to be forced to buy a left hand second or are there cool tips and tricks to make it work in a more standard left side slung pony scenario?

PS, I will be talking with my instructor about this but SB always has a lot of angles to take on any given topic. I value y'all.
PPS, I am working on the side bungee as well.

I see no advantage to necklacing a pony reg for a slung bottle. Just use some tire inner tube or fancy elastic over priced webbing and secure the hose and reg to the pony.

The only time necklacing a pony makes sense is if you are back mounting. Don't over complicate this.

I am calling out @tbone1004 because I think that he has talked about this. But I'll take info from anybody. I can say that I used the google search for "site:www.scubaboard.com tbone1004 pony necklace" but couldn't dig up the post I thought I had read. So I apologize if it has already been hammered out. I did try. I also didn't want to DM in case it might help others.

So, I am taking the SDI solo course. I intend to sling a pony (Sorry, tbone. I know it is not your favorite but sidemount or twins aren't for me yet. Sidemount probably someday.). And I would like to put the pony second in a necklace so that none or near none of my muscle memory would need to change if I ever needed to abandon the primary.

Am I going to be forced to buy a left hand second or are there cool tips and tricks to make it work in a more standard left side slung pony scenario?

PS, I will be talking with my instructor about this but SB always has a lot of angles to take on any given topic. I value y'all.
PPS, I am working on the side bungee as well.
Left handed regs are not necessary. If your pony is slung properly and you’re inclined to use a necklace, a ~28” hose would route upward, around the back of your neck from left to right, and sit on a necklace. A 90° fixed adapter on the second stage of your pony reg may make this more comfortable.

I see no advantage to necklacing a pony reg for a slung bottle. Just use some tire inner tube or fancy elastic over priced webbing and secure the hose and reg to the pony.

The only time necklacing a pony makes sense is if you are back mounting. Don't over complicate this.

I def don't want to over complicate anything. Just the opposite. And I get what you're saying. I am not opposed to the traditional rigging. I guess I thought that a necklaced pony second while solo would match my normal necklaced second when I am buddied with the fam. And I coulda sworn that I had seen that talked about. Granted tbone may come back and ask me WTH I am thinking as well. :)

If you really want it on a necklace just put it on a hose long enought to route around your neck then feed into the reg on the normal side.
That is asking for trouble. Too busy. Multiple hoses coming from vastly different size tanks. People have died because they mixed up their pony reg and primary.

Again, KISS.

I have been diving solo for a long time. I use a 40" primary under my right arm and a short second on a necklace. I dive a 19 cf pony and leave the reg bungeed to the pony along with a SPG facing me.

This gets my vote.
This is how I dove prior to SM, albeit with a 40cf. Seems most simple.

I def don't want to over complicate anything. Just the opposite. And I get what you're saying. I am not opposed to the traditional rigging. I guess I thought that a necklaced pony second while solo would match my normal necklaced second when I am buddied with the fam. And I coulda sworn that I had seen that talked about. Granted tbone may come back and ask me WTH I am thinking as well. :)
There is a thread I started in this sub forum myself, dumpsterDiver and tbone where we worked out a good solo diving setup. You may have read it there.

I am a solo diver who sometimes buddy dives. I do not want to be constantly changing my rig for the type of diving. I have a primary 40" hose under my arm on a swivel and a 5th Gen Air2. When I dive deep solo I back mount my pony. The pony tank has a vindicator knob to aid in ensuring the pony is on before splashing, along with a button SPG. I necklace the pony reg and use a yellow mouth piece on the pony regulator.

If you do not want to back mount solo then I suggest doing what @scubadada does or an AIR2 rather than an octo (you're solo, you don't need it) and slinging the pony with the hose and reg secure with inner tube.

as stated just rig the regulator to the pony, it’s a back up not a regular supply. I use 36” hoses on a pony mainly because I have them and don’t have any other use for them. If you do want a left feed after all, which can work fine on a pony, the G260 easily converts to left feed.

Back
Top Bottom