New reg, hard to breathe on surface when honking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joel <°)))><

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I purchased our first regs. SP mk11 / S560.

They honk above water, especially if they are wet. I've read the forum extendable and know this is normal. However, when they start honking on the inhale, they become very hard to breath from. So much that I just can't keep breathing from them.

That's an issue for me since I like to be able to breathe from my reg above water for safety, while climbing up ladders or when there are waves. Or when I feel my wing will put me face down.

They both behave like this.
I've had rentals so this in the past as well, but I know that some don't do that.

Bad adjustment? Anything can be done by my LDS?

It's impossible to diagnose over the internet., but yep we stil try lol.

I have and have owned numerous regs that "honk" out of water and it is perfectly normal, however if you are saying that they are that hard to breathe from it might be wise to get them checked by a reputable LDS for piece of mined, they may need a wee tweak.

Did you try breathing off them gently on the surface?

Please post back and let us know how you get on. Good luck.

It's impossible to diagnose over the internet., but yep we stil try lol.

I have and have owned numerous regs that "honk" out of water and it is perfectly normal, however if you are saying that they are that hard to breathe from it might be wise to get them checked by a reputable LDS for piece of mined, they may need a wee tweak.

Please post back and let us know how you get on. Good luck.
Facility you purchased from should of assembled and tested on a test bench before sale. This is a common problem when item is purchased from online retailer. If purchased from a brick/mortar store take it back and have them address issues. Purchased online,I suggest taking to a Local dealer for this item and have them inspect it. Be prepared to pay for this service if you did not purchase from them.

The hard to breath part I don’t quite understand unless the noise is so distracting that you are subconsciously limiting your breathing.

It may be as simple as a lever adjustment or reg tuneing which the dealer should handle for you.

You can keep the regulator in you mouth but breath around it.

Will definitely try to breathe more gently to see. This might be me gasping for more air and trying too hard. My wife says the same, though and she not big as I am.

Facility you purchased from should of assembled and tested on a test bench before sale. This is a common problem when item is purchased from online retailer. If purchased from a brick/mortar store take it back and have them address issues. Purchased online,I suggest taking to a Local dealer for this item and have them inspect it. Be prepared to pay for this service if you did not purchase from them.
I always purchase from my LDS, as they are really great consultants and I want to encourage them. Overall, they are not more expensive.
I was planning to ask them, but wanted your opinion before I asked them and they tell me it's normal.

The hard to breath part I don’t quite understand unless the noise is so distracting that you are subconsciously limiting your breathing.
It may be as simple as a lever adjustment or reg tuneing which the dealer should handle for you.
You can keep the regulator in you mouth but breath around it.
No, it's really hard, like not enough air coming in and I am short of breath after 3 breaths.
I tried all the adjustments, even opening/closing the adjustment know all the way, opening and closing the venturi... No change whatsoever.
In the end, breathing around it is what I do when climbing a ladder or swimming at the surface, but with big waves, I need a seal not to drink the cup.

This is probably the only thing that makes me anxious when diving right now, so I want to fix this...
(Until I will start dry suit diving and need to control my bladder better, but that will be another story...)

I'll let you know what my LDS says.

What you're describing is normal. When the diaphragm flutters out of the water, the lever controlling the valve vibrates as well. That means it's intermittently closing and opening multiple times per second. The harder you try, the worse it gets.
Breathing gently helps, but I do just what you do: breathe around the mouthpiece on the surface.
A sensitive reg really needs the stabilizing effect of the surface tension of the water on the other side of the diaphragm to smooth flow.
I'm guessing your LDS will find nothing wrong.

This is probably a dumb question, but just to make sure, you are testing the breathing of your reg while it is attached to a tank and the valve is on, right? Does the alternate 2nd stage also breathe poorly, or does it work fine?

The hard to breath is not normal, I believe the S560 is basically a plastic barrel S600 of the past, this should not become hard to breath from unless the valve isn’t opening, as in a lever set to low. Like Rob said some regulators just honk out of the water, this basic design is necessarily known for that.

I hope as you gain experience you’ll grow more comfortable spitting the reg out on the surface, there are many things you need to look at like weighting and weight positioning if you feel that the b/c will put you face down but that’s a whole different discussion.

I hope the LDS tech can find the problem, there is the possibility that the initial adjustments from the factory are wrong.

This is probably a dumb question, but just to make sure, you are testing the breathing of your reg while it is attached to a tank and the valve is on, right? Does the alternate 2nd stage also breathe poorly, or does it work fine?
Yes, when it's pressurized. It's ok under water, very smooth as expected.
I haven't tried my octo on the surface. Will do just to see.

The hard to breath is not normal, I believe the S560 is basically a plastic barrel S600 of the past, this should not become hard to breath from unless the valve isn’t opening, as in a lever set to low. Like Rob said some regulators just honk out of the water, this basic design is necessarily known for that.

I hope as you gain experience you’ll grow more comfortable spitting the reg out on the surface, there are many things you need to look at like weighting and weight positioning if you feel that the b/c will put you face down but that’s a whole different discussion.

I hope the LDS tech can find the problem, there is the possibility that the initial adjustments from the factory are wrong.
Thanks. All great comments and advice. I now have a few things to try and discuss with my LDS and the 2 DMs I'll dive with Friday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom