Steel tank lifespan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I’ll be the one to give you different advice. It’s time to retire them they are old, do you really expect them to last forever? Further what if they are hazardous? I will go as far to help you dispose of those potentially hazardous tanks, all you have to do it send them to me and for just the cost to ship them I will guarantee they don’t pose a risk to you. You can sleep well knowing that they won’t be lonely, they will fit right in with my 72’s that are older than me and my HP’s with 7/8 necks. As the baby’s I’ll make sure they are treated well.

Should I PM you where to ship them ?

Federal DOT regulations allow a steel specification cylinder to remain in service indefinitely as long as it continues to pass the hydrostatic requalification and visual inspection every 5 years. The oldest tank that has come through my hydro facility was a steel cylinder manufactured in 1914 and passed hydro fine.

Yes but by “ take care of them” what exactly do you mean?

Rinse them off well, don't knock them around, take the boots off, store them properly, don't drain them completely...etc

Yes but by “ take care of them” what exactly do you mean?
Mainly keep them dry inside. I picked up 4 tanks off CL from a guy that had them doing marine research in Hawaii. When he retired, the tanks had been sitting outside in a shed for years, but had air in them. One of the tanks must have been tumbled a long time as the bottom of the serial number was worn down. The other three were great, recertifications and have now been in service for the past 4 years. So even poor care may not hurt the tanks, but they are much better cared for now!

I've had some O2 cylinders in my stable from the 1930s

The biggest assault on scuba tanks is wet fills rusting the insides and poor boots trapping salt on the outside

So I’ll be the one to give you different advice. It’s time to retire them they are old, do you really expect them to last forever? Further what if they are hazardous? I will go as far to help you dispose of those potentially hazardous tanks, all you have to do it send them to me and for just the cost to ship them I will guarantee they don’t pose a risk to you. You can sleep well knowing that they won’t be lonely, they will fit right in with my 72’s that are older than me and my HP’s with 7/8 necks. As the baby’s I’ll make sure they are treated well.

Should I PM you where to ship them ?

I shall rest much easier at night knows that when it is time, my steels will have a great place.:cheers:

So bottom line is take good care of them and they will probably last longer than me and become part of my estate to pass along. Thanks again for everyone ‘s input. Without a doubt there is a wealth of knowledge, interesting opinions and not a too many things that would lead you astray on this forum. Be safe

Though not SCUBA, I have test steel cylinders as old as 1908 and they passed with no problem!!! Kept dry on the inside and paint in good condition they can last a very very long time!! Keep the boots off which can trap moisture and lets oxidation (rust) to take place.

This steel 38 of mine pre-dates Pearl Harbor being attacked. Still going strong! :)

Kd5tN4.jpg

I have a friend with a set of 104's that have been cave filled since their birth in the 70's
The joke we have is that now they are probably 108's
Plan is to keep them until they turn in to 120's
then turn them into bank bottles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom