How long have you gone without servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the most important factor in how long a reg will function without service is the quality of the rubber parts and lube.

The brass and hard plastic parts tend to last forever unless a tech has scratched them up during servicing.

I'd go with my Conshelf XII. Identical to the Conshelf XIV but less LP ports so I'd save all that extra weight from the port plugs. :)

View attachment 593721
View attachment 593722
Since you're saving all that weight, take it a step further and rock an XI with the shorter adjustment cap!
20200624_065027.jpg

I think the most important factor in how long a reg will function without service is the quality of the rubber parts and lube.

The brass and hard plastic parts tend to last forever unless a tech has scratched them up during servicing.

More importantly post dive care and storage.

I've seen many a reg that has had very little use but was left marinating in salt water post it's last dive.

I bought a 15 year old Apeks dst with atx 50 that was not serviced for 10 years, in the last 8 months i did over 400 dives and it still breathing fine at 60 meters.

I am typically a balanced diaphragm guy but under the specific conditions of “never service again”, I would have to go with an unbalanced piston like the ubiquitous scuba pro mk2. They are almost too simple to fail. I have used them at depth and they actually perform admirably. For cold water they are not my choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom