Steel tank lifespan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it is a dive shop, it would be prudent to have them tested. The pic attached was from a dive shop bank!! If it your bank, who is to know and if they are not being filled and offer for transport the CFR doesn't apply. But lawyers being lawyers....
dsc00757.jpg

I personally own 6 steel tanks that are relatively young by the standards of this thread. Born on dates are 2007, 2007, 2008, 2008, 2011, 2014. I've sold off 6 others since moving to Florida, but these 6 I intend to keep until they fail Hydro. All 6 are Worthington HDG (no longer manufactured) ... 4 HP100s, 2 LP85s. My goal is to have them still diveable when I stop diving!

I have a habit of reading the necks of the welding tanks that come past me. At work they had a bottle set aside for doing a special stainless welding, some special mix. I pointed out the bottle dates back the WWI. That is a 1, not a 2. Born 1918. Nothing special, lots of hydro stamps, most about 5 years apart. Nothing special, just a regular old tank still in circulation from the welding shop. As long as nobody does anything stupid with it, it will out live you and me.

If hydro is all about DOT testing for transportation, do bank bottles get hydro tests?

fixed cylinder banks are allowed a longer retesting period, but yes they are supposed to be recertified also. DOT also regulates for commerce in general, not just transportation.

Though not SCUBA, I have test steel cylinders as old as 1908 and they passed with no problem!!! Kept dry on the inside and paint in good condition they can last a very very long time!! Keep the boots off which can trap moisture and lets oxidation (rust) to take place.

1908 is impressive!

I've heard there are still welding bottles in service that were manufactured in Germany during WWII and stamped with swastikas. Never actually seen one though. Apparently they're often crossed out to make a sort of "Windows logo".

If hydro is all about DOT testing for transportation, do bank bottles get hydro tests?
depends on the standard they were built to
DOT cylinders get hydro tests
ASTM cylinders don't

depends on the standard they were built to
DOT cylinders get hydro tests
ASTM cylinders don't
it depends on the bottles i have seen some that have a 10 yeaR CYCLE AND OTHERS THAT HAVE THE SAME 5 YEAR. AND OTHERS I THINK THAT HAVE NO REQUIREMENT INDICATED ON THEM.

fixed cylinder banks are allowed a longer retesting period, but yes they are supposed to be recertified also. DOT also regulates for commerce in general, not just transportation.
VARY GOOD POINT REGARDING COMMERCE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom