Where to Rent Large Steel Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeb

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am on the verge of purchasing a set of double steel tanks to continue my new tech diving adventures. So far I have used double ALU 80s, LP 95s, and HP 100s, which I have rented from various local dive shops. I am now seriously considering purchasing larger tanks, and am thinking about either HP 117s, 120s, or even 133s. Before I buy I would like to rent and try them out (to see how terrible they feel on my back!).

So does anyone know anywhere in Florida (preferably central but I don't mind driving), that rents these larger steel doubles?

Thanks in advance!

Are those shops in North Central Florida / Cave County?

I'm open to any tanks really. I just figured if I am going to spend $1000 on tanks, I might as well get the biggest ones I can physically handle so I don't find myself wishing I had more gas in the future as I progress through tech diving.

I'm pretty comfortable managing the weight of double 100s etc. I was just curious how much heavier the 133s would feel!

Those shops are all in N Florida. Where in Central Florida are you? Spruce Creek Scuba in Port Orange/Daytona might have LP85s and LP108s (OMS112s?) available for rent.

I'm in Clermont. I have previously rented from Dayo Scuba in Orlando and from Scuba West in Hudson. I drive close to Daytona often though so thanks for the Spruce Creek suggestion!

Are those shops in North Central Florida / Cave County?

I'm open to any tanks really. I just figured if I am going to spend $1000 on tanks...

Oops and yes, Cave Country Dive Shop and Extreme Exposure in High Springs, Amigos in Fort White, and Dive Outpost in Luraville(5 minutes north of Mayo). As others said, Dayo and Spruce would be good too.

If you are not set on new tanks, check this forum and Cavedivers.net. CDF recently had a set of 95s for $450 which sold and a set of 108s for $600(unknown status).

Are you set on HP tanks? I notice the only low pressure tanks you've tried are LP95s. Depending on your location in FL and the dive shops around you, you may be able to get cave fills. I know Dayo, that you mentioned, used to do cave fills. LP108s with a cave fill (3600) turns into about 311 cuft of gas or more if you want to go higher with the pressure. Additional gas does add a bit of weight of course, but not that much. Also, agreed on the used option. Should be able to get a good set of tanks in the $500-$600 range.

No definitely not set on the HPs. Just going with what I know so far (which is not a great deal!). I think Dayo will do cave fills without any issues, but I know a lot of ocean dive shops probably wouldn't which is why I was leaning towards HPs. I'm planning on doing dives on both coasts and the keys.

I'm still developing my experience on the tech equipment front. My next big investment will be a shearwater which I am saving up for. But I just realized I haven't used my AR rifle in a while so If I would sell it and buy double steel tanks instead!!

No one asked you what kind of diving you are doing? Open ocean? Wreck diving? Cave diving? Cold water? Warm water? Drysuit? Wetsuit? What region are you diving? Because outside of Florida your going to get ****** fills.

Anyways, I'm a cold and warm water wreck diver FWIW and I've owned just about every double combinations there is. In the beginning I was told to get a pair of LP85's and HP120's. But noooooooooo I had to prove the guys with experience that I could do it better. I had LP80's, MP80's, HP100's, LP108, LP95's, never 133's, who can do the f'n deco? Those all sucked. LP80' are too short (exception would be someone with short torso) MP'80 even shorter, HP100's too heavy and short, LP108's well fat and heavy BUT a metric ton of gas, I had a period of deco on back gas and that worked but they jammed up in bulkheads as they were wider than me.

Fast forward. Shazam, I only run LP85's and HP120's! Ha! Four pounds of tail weight on the 85's and both sets dive exactly the same. LP85's can do anything, if you can't find them buy them, two sets if you can manage.

You can't talk tanks without lift. AVOID buying some large ass 60lb wing. If you need that much wing something is wrong. More important than lift really is redundancy. Let me save you some time and money. Dive Right 45lb redundant wing and put the Dive rite butt plate on your plate to clip tanks in stuff off too.

Outlier: AL80's are great Florida warm water stuffs as that's probably what your going to get for rentals. They are flat on the bottom and fit on boats well. All they gas you need for training.

Enjoy your journey.

I'll dive in pretty much any body of water that is deep enough for my computer to switch on!

That being said most of my recent dives have been freshwater springs and caverns. However now I am Deco trained my goal is to focus on Ocean Wreck diving, with a view to completing my Advanced Wreck Diving course in the not too distant future. I'm just West of Orlando which means I'm not super close to a lot of diving, but I can reach most places within a 2-3 hour drive.

I have a dry suit from my UK diving days but in Florida I dive a 5mm wetsuit, (2.5mm for the warm Ocean), an aluminum backplate and a 35# Hog doubles wing. A setup which has worked well with double ALU 80s, double HP 100s and double LP 95s. I am anticipating needing a slightly larger wing if I go with larger steel doubles, but I will experiment to see what fits best.

So in summary, diving wet with a view to focusing on south FL wreck penetration dives in the near future!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom