Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missing the daily updates already, but backtracked and found the link to the Facebook page. We are still on track to land in Coz this Saturday afternoon (Independence Day). We did however pick up a couple pieces of extra "Travel Gear" for the plane... Goggles! Apparently the new hype is infection through the eyes, which is absolutely possible, and due to the industry I work in I just happened to have several options available for eye protection. We have standard "Safety Glasses", "Spoggles" which are foam rimmed and vented, and full silicone skirted jobbies that are huge! If needed i will just grab out my Atomic Venom mask and call it good. Also an assortment of masks from N95 respirators to simple bandanas. I feel quite silly about this gear up, but I am willing to take the steps needed to at bare minimum try to protect those around us just in case, I hope others take the same consideration. Health of us both is still solid so.....we're going unless they shut it down. Fingers and toes crossed! Cheers!

*Note to Mods- I will pretty much paste this this comment in two other COZ threads but with slight modification. Chances are it's the same audience, but maybe not. Just a heads up on the redundancy, but of course the COZ threads are of utmost concern to me right now and probably quite a few others. I apologize if by making the same statement in 3 threads I violate any rules. Cheers to you guys too, Moderating is not Easy!

From the 4-July noon update:
Code:
                                 6/27  ->   7/4    % Chg
                                -----      -----   -----
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           3,398  ->  4,169   22.7%
     Social Isolation             819  ->  1,249   52.5%
     Hospitalized                 185  ->    256   38.4%
     Recovered                  1,838  ->  2,049   11.5%
     Deaths                       556  ->    616   10.8%
Q Roo Tests pending               426  ->    516   21.1%

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               87  ->     95    9.2%
     Recovered                     47  ->     47    ---
     Deaths                        17  ->     17    ---
     % Hospital rooms in use       28% ->     43%  53.6%

Increasing case velocity
     QRoo South                    1.0 ->     1.7  70.0%
     QRoo North                    4.6 ->     4.9   6.5%

Semaphore status:
                                  6/29-7/5     7/6-7/12
     QRoo South                     Orange  ->   Orange
     QRoo North                     Orange  ->   Orange
Data from Pedro Joaquin D (Facebook)
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

NOTE: These are week-to-week stats, not day-to-day stats as previously reported. At least for 7/4, the state went back to the previous statistics format.

Big jump in the case velocity in QRoo North, which includes Cozumel. The governor's update on Thursday night warned of the possiblity of reverting the semaphore status back to red, but I've not found what the specific criteria is for changing the semaphore status.

Also a significant jump in Cozumel hospital occupancy.

I'm not certain how long I'll keep up with these stats, but weekly seems manageable at this point. The source link is to the Municipal President Pedro Joaquin Delbouis' Facebook page. This is the same information as the QRoo SESA Twitter link in most posts.

ggunn... Of course things are going to get worse until a vaccine is developed and available on a monumental scale. Until then, what should the US, Mexican & global population as a whole do? Quarantine for months on end with no means of supporting themselves and end up homeless? How fast do you think COVID (and many other diseases) would spread among the massive homeless communities that would form globally if people are PROHIBITED from working? Should countries with the ability to do so keep printing $, racking up debt, and handing that cash out until their currencies are worthless?

Those who keep preaching quarantine and shut down obviously have paychecks that keep coming in or are retired and no longer contribute to society but consume benefits. Whatever their situation is, they have no right to judge and preach to others about why they shouldn't go back to work and living their lives while taking the best precautionary measures they can.
You are angry; I get that. I am angry as well. Not the least of my losses due to the novel coronavirus was what would have been my 34th annual trip to Cozumel with my wife, my sister and her husband, my daughter, and my now 92 year old mom. I could write out the entire laundry list of what the virus has cost me and the people close to me, but so many others have it so much worse than I do.

There is and will continue to be a staggering economic impact from the pandemic, no matter what we do, but (for example, not that it was something you were necessarily suggesting) just opening everything up and letting the devil take the hindmost isn't a solution any reasonable person wants to consider. We are already having to walk back much of the opening up we have recently done because of the imminent danger of having our health care system overwhelmed by COVID-19 cases. Rock and a hard place.

There are several vaccines in large scale human evaluation right now, and that is a good thing, but we still don't know for sure that a vaccine is possible, and if it is, how effective it will be. Smallpox vaccine is very effective, but influenza vaccine, not so much. It may not be the panacea that so many are counting on.

This is one of the more salient points in this whole discussion/debate. Everyone is hell bent on just getting something....anything, produced, and getting the planet injected with it, much more so than they are with making sure it's actually functional, and more importantly, safe.
It's quite plausible (as alluded to above) that they never find an effective vaccine/cure. We have to consider that, and the possibility that this virus is here to stay. Meanwhile, we're on the fast track towards bankrupting the entire planet.
Also, we're already seeing the media ramp up the irrational vilification of those selfish,ignorant, neanderthal-like "vaccine resistors", and once they inevitable come out with something, mark my words, the global propaganda machine will go into complete hysterics ! Anyone that merely wants a discussion on possible side-effects, or the minimal testing and speed at which it will likely be introduced, is going to be lambasted in the media, accused of everything up to and including genocide. I can almost guarantee it.
On a related note, the World Health Organization has curiously just halted the hydroxychloroquine trials, despite considerable evidence that this inexpensive drug has been effective.Make of that what you will.

On a related note, the World Health Organization has curiously just halted the hydroxychloroquine trials, despite considerable evidence that this inexpensive drug has been effective.Make of that what you will.
What evidence of effectiveness are you referring to? All I have seen has ranged from "maybe a little" to "not at all". Cases where they just gave it to some people to see what would happen without the controls to eliminate randomness and false positives don't really count, and I don't see where it would be to anyone's advantage to give up on a therapy that showed promise.

Just going by numerous news reports I've seen in recent months, I can't cite anything very specific. I just did a quick search, and predictably, got as many hits citing it's ineffectiveness, as I did hits citing it's effectiveness, like this one.....

".....The study, led by a research team from Henry Ford Health System in southeast Michigan, U.S., was published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases on July 1.
They looked at 2,541 hospitalized COVID-19 patients between March 10 and May 2 and found that those who took hydroxychloroquine had a "significantly" lower mortality rate......"

But, that was just a side observation, the bulk of my post focused on other concerning elements of this issue, many of which a surprising number of people seem hell-bent on dismissing, in favor of whatever "official" narrative is currently coming out of the television.

Just going by numerous news reports I've seen in recent months, I can't cite anything very specific. I just did a quick search, and predictably, got as many hits citing it's ineffectiveness, as I did hits citing it's effectiveness, like this one.....

".....The study, led by a research team from Henry Ford Health System in southeast Michigan, U.S., was published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases on July 1.
They looked at 2,541 hospitalized COVID-19 patients between March 10 and May 2 and found that those who took hydroxychloroquine had a "significantly" lower mortality rate......"

But, that was just a side observation, the bulk of my post focused on other concerning elements of this issue, many of which a surprising number of people seem hell-bent on dismissing, in favor of whatever "official" narrative is currently coming out of the television.
If you are talking about the people I see refusing to take measures to help stop or slow the spread of the disease ("I woke up this morning in a free country; I don't have to wear a mask", "masks are KILLING people", etc.) then yes, I agree with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom