Pony Reg. Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I haven't used my pony in maybe 8 years. There was a problem back then with the reg. which needed repair. I had only used it here & there before that. I recently used it to check tank PSI and was fine (that was a month ago). Now when I tested tanks today it leaked--seemingly out the first stage. Is this costly to fix? How does this happen when you basically never use it?

My guess is that since o-rings/gaskets are made out of rubber that they have gotten old and dry. Probably time for a service/overhaul.

I would agree probably need to have the reg serviced.

Yeah. I had a problem with this same reg. many years ago-- think it just didn't breathe or something. Was told something similar- "________" happens even when it's never used.

8 years is a long time to sit. I have 1st stages that sit that long and work fine, but they are stored totally clean and dry and in plastic bags.

If you wanted to investigate it, fill the tub or sink and submerge the pony with the reg pressurized, look for the bubbles. You might get lucky, it might just be a tank valve o-ring.

The bottom line question is never “What is the cost of having it serviced?” BUT “What is the cost of NOT having it serviced?” Remember the reg is the most important piece of equipment. What is the cost if your reg malfunctions at depth? Personally, I service my regs annually and have even on occasion have taken a reg back for a mid-year tweaking.

As mentioned above, there are a number of rubber pieces that will degrade with time. If it has been sitting 8 years, have it serviced.

The bottom line question is never “What is the cost of having it serviced?” BUT “What is the cost of NOT having it serviced?” Remember the reg is the most important piece of equipment. What is the cost if your reg malfunctions at depth? Personally, I service my regs annually and have even on occasion have taken a reg back for a mid-year tweaking.

As mentioned above, there are a number of rubber pieces that will degrade with time. If it has been sitting 8 years, have it serviced.
Yes, obviously I know all that. My dives almost never exceed 30' now. Since I regularly practice CESA I have no need to worry about any reg failure problem. My pony reg stays in the car just as a spare (and I have used it that way when my reg hose broke)-- so a 20-30' dive with the pony reg is also no added risk--don't need to know my depth or water temp.
I average having my reg serviced every 2 years (unless it "needs it"), upon some advice from veteran dive pros on SB. That saves maybe $150 and is really no risk at <30'. But thanks for the concern.

halocline, thanks. It's not a tank valve o ring as I tried it with 3 tanks (and my regular reg. works fine on all 3).

If I were in your shoes, I would submerge the reg in a tub as I mentioned and try to see where the bubbles are coming from. You didn't mention what kind of reg we're talking about, but with most regs there's an o-ring that seals the yoke or DIN fitting. That's a good candidate for causing a leak and you can fix it without taking the whole reg apart. (Again, depending on brand) Then I would look at all the port plugs; occasionally they spring a leak and their o-rings can easily be replaced. If it turns out it's not the yoke retainer or port plug (or a hose fitting) then you're looking at a rebuild. After 8 years, count your blessings.

If I were in your shoes, I would submerge the reg in a tub as I mentioned and try to see where the bubbles are coming from. You didn't mention what kind of reg we're talking about, but with most regs there's an o-ring that seals the yoke or DIN fitting. That's a good candidate for causing a leak and you can fix it without taking the whole reg apart. (Again, depending on brand) Then I would look at all the port plugs; occasionally they spring a leak and their o-rings can easily be replaced. If it turns out it's not the yoke retainer or port plug (or a hose fitting) then you're looking at a rebuild. After 8 years, count your blessings.
Thanks again. It's a Mares CE0426 (serial number?). The air is escaping through 3 (quarter inch?) holes in the 1st stage that would be the on corners of a triangle.

Can you put a picture up of the regulator? Off the top of my head it sounds like the ambient pressure holes of a piston regulator, and maybe the o ring around the piston head is not sealing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom