Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanMH

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
My girlfriend's son and I just certified as open-water divers and we are enjoying it very much. Currently we are located in Germany, but one is moving moving to Canada and the other to Florida. I think I am set on a regulator, the Scubapro MK 17 EVO G260, in my research it appears to be a solid regulator good for both cold and warm water. The hang-up is on a BCD and figured to reach out to the plethora of experience in this community. Can someone recommend a BCD/brand for starters? Not too expensive, but good solid starter that will last until an upgrade.

I'll be the first to give the standard SB answer... Back Plate and Wing. Brand doesn't matter so much, just what lift you want. You can set one up under $400 easy.
an example: DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®
I'm sure others will add more, but the beauty of BPW's is that they are modular... add only what you need, replace only what you have to.
Respectfully,
James

edit to add: Try something that is back inflate before you buy, though. They feel different at the surface (not better or worse, just different). My kids and I use BPW's that I scratch built, and my wife doesn't like back inflate so she uses an old Scubapro Classic jacket BC. To each their own

Hi SeanMH,

I am going to give a little different advice than James gave; his advice was tempered very well -- cheers James!. Steer away from BP/Ws unless you have a very experienced tech diver or instructor who knows BP/W VERY WELL. They need to be adjusted properly.

My wife and I had BP/W. We went back to our old BCs. The old BCs fit well and don't need adjustment from cold water to warm water. For us they are easier and we like that we get buoyancy while at the surface that does not push our faces down in the water, constantly.

Personal preference is the key. For some reason, I am a gear snob for some stuff and not other stuff. Oh yeah baby, my Perdix AI is boss! My BCD? Who gives a rip about a BC or BP/W. It's that thing you strap your tank to. To each his own.

I recommend any BC brand and model that fits you (or girlfriend) well.

Scuba Pro equipment is really good. I like Oceanic better because their regs are less expensive to overhaul. My wife's Scuba Pro is an excellent reg, until we have to pay for service.

This is all about YOU! Most of the gear on the market will meet its warrant of merchantability. Do you feel comfortable with it and does it suit YOUR purposes.

Many SBers pray at the alter of the BP/W. They are really good. Most people love them. If a BP/W is the most comfortable for you, buy one.

cheers,
m²V2
25gkmg-jpg.448393.jpg

This is all about YOU! Most of the gear on the market will meet its warrant of merchantability. Do you feel comfortable with it and does it suit YOUR purposes.
This!! Basically nothing new for sale will be unsafe for recreational diving... So get what works for you. And if you don't know what works for you... see what you can try out. Rent, borrow from friends, or see if a shop will let you pool test gear.

If a BP/W is the most comfortable for you, buy one.
Like I said, try something back inflate before you buy one. What Markmud says about tipping you face down depends on a couple factors... If you just full inflate and try to float head and shoulders out of the water, well, the lift is on your back so you either tip forward or lay back on it like a tiny raft. I use steel tanks (negatively buoyant) so it helps offset that lift distribution, and I only keep my head out of the water at the surface... so it works for me (and my boys). My wife can't stand it... she likes the more even around her body lift of a jacket BC. Like Mark said... find what works for you!

Respectfully,

James

+1 (or two) to James and Mark. I started out with a jacket BC and felt it was too confining (sorry @markmud) and really like my Zeagle Zena. If it ever dies I might go to BP/W, but I mostly hope it never dies. It has a little bit of 'modular' built into it; has cool mesh, zippering weight pockets; and because of the modular design it fits a woman's body really well. But again ... it's all about what works for the diver.

...really like my Zeagle Zena.

Hi Kimela,

And you dive it well and it looks good on you! You and Roger both obviously like your rigs and they seem to be an extension of your bodies. There is no need to apologize!

What did you think of Cathy's beat-up and dog-eared old no-name BC? It is in tip-top working condition and she loves it!

cheers,
m²V2
PS: I still need to open up my email and answer your email...sorry!

First BP/W are the best way to go, based on cost and modularity, they are not hard to set up and adjust. There are a lot of nice b/c’s out there, Zeagle makes a wide range and they have a modular approach which may make them possibly the better option, there are a lot of them out there on the used marked which can really bring the price into a very reasonable zone. I like some of the newer aqualung stuff and the the SP Hydros is modular but remains a bit pricy. Buy lightly used once you find the style you want and the size.

The MK 17/G260 is a great regulator.

I use the Aqualung Zuma, if you’re a minimalist you’ll love it, lightweight great for travel easy to clean because of the lighter weight, and the nice thing is the tank band is set low on the back which helps carry the load on your hips so the weights off your shoulders making it easy to maneuver on boats or shore diving. I tried the backplate and wing it’s heavy and awkward for single tank recreational diving and I don’t really use the BC except on the surface anyway as long as your weighted and trimmed properly I don’t see the need of BP&wing. The only thing I did to mine and my wife’s was change the tank ban to a Grip-lock once adjusted it stays adjusted nice feature. Because I have to clean all the equipment hers included being light weight makes a big difference. Lol

What did you think of Cathy's beat-up and dog-eared old no-name BC? It is in tip-top working condition and she loves it!

It looked great on her, she was obviously very comfortable in the water and had great buoyancy! So another +1 to "do what works for the diver". :)

I am going to give a little different advice than James gave; his advice was tempered very well -- cheers James!. Steer away from BP/Ws unless you have a very experienced tech diver or instructor who knows BP/W VERY WELL. They need to be adjusted properly.
I agree on last sentence. BPW can be adjusted by yourself. There is information online.

My wife and I had BP/W. We went back to our old BCs. The old BCs fit well and don't need adjustment from cold water to warm water. For us they are easier and we like that we get buoyancy while at the surface that does not push our faces down in the water, constantly.
Last sentence is indicating that either your BPW was not adjusted properly, or you are using it in a way it wasn't designed to. You can not inflate BPW so it lifts you out of the water. If you inflate it to keep water level around your shoulders it will not push you face down.

To the OP. Best advice is already given to you. Choose what YOU think is working the best for YOU.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom