1997 Deep Dive/Shark Attack.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wasn't there two guys somewhere in the caribbean, doing a study dive of something maybe and one was attacked by a shark - I remember the story sort of but can't remember where I seen it.......

Second post in this thread. There was a case where an oceanic whitetip attacked and killed a diver; notably the dive buddy was not attacked even though he was trying to drag the other diver to the surface. OW's are kind of an outlier; as a researcher once told me, "They don't miss meals." I've seen only one 5-ft juvenile and I was impressed with how bold she was. That said, she was certainly not frenzied - it took a while for her to appear and she would make a slow but determined run straight at us; once the safety diver pushed her away she would veer off, disappear into the distance, and then try again from another direction a few minutes later. The only other shark I ever feel like I've gotten that totally confident vibe from was a ~6-ft mako that seemed to know she could run me down at will if she decided to. Again, not frenzied but calculated.

Everyone can have a bad day, including sharks.

An object falling or rising quickly can indicate an injured animal and attract attention. I know from experience.

I don’t think the time interval is significant.

The descent rate, going by the report of 296 ft at four minutes into the dive, was about 1.2-1.25 ft/second - something that seems perfectly normal for a negative descent and nothing that I've ever seen a shark get fired up about. Usually when I see sharks amp up quickly, it's to a freediver who's trying to make the surface (possibly with a speared fish) in a matter of seconds. I've had sharks come and take a look at me on the way down with scuba, but it's always a look -> move away.

Wasn't there two guys somewhere in the caribbean, doing a study dive of something maybe and one was attacked by a shark - I remember the story sort of but can't remember where I seen it.......

Realized the paste job in that second post was cut off, found an account in the LA Times archives: 25 Years Later, Memories of Shark Attack Remain Vivid

The scenario is worth noting - two sharks were noticed some time before the attack, but they struck when one of the divers was alone and kept hitting that victim exclusively even as Gilliam was fighting them for the body. Gilliam would later go on to at one point hold the record for a deep air dive at 475 ft; it's notable that in advance of that attempt and his previous 452-ft record he conducted an extensive amount of in-water and chamber prep.

Second post in this thread. There was a case where an oceanic whitetip attacked and killed a diver; notably the dive buddy was not attacked even though he was trying to drag the other diver to the surface. OW's are kind of an outlier; as a researcher once told me, "They don't miss meals." I've seen only one 5-ft juvenile and I was impressed with how bold she was. That said, she was certainly not frenzied - it took a while for her to appear and she would make a slow but determined run straight at us; once the safety diver pushed her away she would veer off, disappear into the distance, and then try again from another direction a few minutes later. The only other shark I ever feel like I've gotten that totally confident vibe from was a ~6-ft mako that seemed to know she could run me down at will if she decided to. Again, not frenzied but calculated.

The descent rate, going by the report of 296 ft at four minutes into the dive, was about 1.2-1.25 ft/second - something that seems perfectly normal for a negative descent and nothing that I've ever seen a shark get fired up about. Usually when I see sharks amp up quickly, it's to a freediver who's trying to make the surface (possibly with a speared fish) in a matter of seconds. I've had sharks come and take a look at me on the way down with scuba, but it's always a look -> move away.

I've had a couple come over to give me a once over. In my brain, I heard a voice screaming "run away run away" then the more sensible voice calmly said "what? You're going to turn your back on an approaching shark? I don't think so"

So far so good for me. I hope this game isn't best out of 3.

So far so good for me. I hope this game isn't best out of 3.

I've had 1 encounter will an adult male Bullshark

We were on Scooters, it mooched effortlessly past us having come from behind. My too takeaways from that

Even a scooter wouldn't have helped us outrun it. If it had been hungry the first thing we'd have known is when it had sunk its teeth into us

I’ve dived with a lot of Oceanic White Tips. If you want to play with them you stick to your depth. I absolutely adore them but they certainly like to check out things ascending and descending.

Their behaviour is normally very predictable and they are great fun to dive with but sometimes their behaviour changes dramatically (Twitchy, rapid change of direction and depth and pectoral fins lowered) at which point it’s usually time to consider getting out of the water.

My friend has some footage on YouTube of an Oceanic bossing a Tiger way bigger than it. They’re pretty competitive animals. Not that’s it’s allowed in Egypt but spear fishing with Oceanics around would probably be a very bad idea.

Reactions: Dan
I've had 1 encounter will an adult male Bullshark

We were on Scooters, it mooched effortlessly past us having come from behind. My too takeaways from that

Even a scooter wouldn't have helped us outrun it. If it had been hungry the first thing we'd have known is when it had sunk its teeth into us

Well with scooters you’ve a pretty good defence if it were required and two of you. Let it have a nibble on the scooter or push it gently away with it.

Well with scooters you’ve a pretty good defence if it were required and two of you. Let it have a nibble on the scooter or push it gently away with it.
Only if it's in front of me. Sneaking up from behind.. Not so much

As it was it was a majestic sight to see this wonderful creature mooch by me, probably only 4m away

Only if it's in front of me. Sneaking up from behind.. Not so much

As it was it was a majestic sight to see this wonderful creature mooch by me, probably only 4m away

Back to back with your buddy. Have had to do that on occasion especially when you have multiple sharks coming in and bumping you

Actually, a scooter is not "a good defense", it's virtually no defense at all.
If one (or a group) of these predators decides you're lunch......then you're lunch. They won't be deterred or outmaneuvered by a mere object.

Actually, a scooter is not "a good defense", it's virtually no defense at all.
If one (or a group) of these predators decides you're lunch......then you're lunch. They won't be deterred or outmaneuvered by a mere object.

Sure they will. If you’re maintaining eye contact and have a decent sized camera or scooter that’s very effective at pushing a shark away.

Not always but I’d say mostly. Sharks can’t afford to be hurt.

If a shark bolts out of nowhere and you don’t see it then yeah nothing likely to protect you but as a diver I’d put the risk of that pretty low.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom