What Exactly Did I Just Get? 1950s twinset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azstinger11

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I aquired this twinset at the amazing price of $0. But I have no idea what in the heck I actually just got. They are going in for hydro on Tuesday.

What I know:
J Valve made by US Divers
First Hydro was March 1954
As best as I can read the tank stem markings read:
ICC-3AA1800
91873BU
Somewhere between 6.7 and 6.9 diameter
From the bottom of the boot to the stem about 21" tall

Obviously never going to be my primary tanks but thought they could be fun to have around. Maybe pair with a Kraken when I get a chance! Ideally put a modern isolation valve and tank band compatible with my backplate. If not keep in the retro configuration and mess a certain set of instructors I happen to be friends with lol.

From Double 50 Setup sounds like they are going to be heavy on land and floaty when empty?

CtdSn4sl.jpg

MfhzNmXl.jpg

CL5z5Q0l.jpg

suf0Cdjl.jpg

left tank is an LP 72 right most tank is a Faber HP100 for comparison

trying to read the symbol on the birth hydro date to see who made it. unable to read it

trying to read the symbol on the birth hydro date to see who made it. unable to read it
I believe on the side with the ICC stamp, the lowest marking is a testing house symbol followed by "WK"... so I think Walter Kidde
respectfully,
James

Oh, and based on dimensions my guess is 38's (I'm working on a couple right now, no boot measures 6.9 diameter and 18.5 from bottom to base of neck). I think they are horrifically unsafe, and you should send them to me for proper disposal... I'll even reimburse the shipping! lol
Respectfully,
James

just keep in mind, they are 1800 psi tanks..... Do not let a shop monkey do something stupid when filling them. The proper burst disc may also be problematic to find. As to a modern isolation, I think it is highly likely too they are not 3/4-14 valves.

just keep in mind, they are 1800 psi tanks..... Do not let a shop monkey do something stupid when filling them. The proper burst disc may also be problematic to find. Highly likely too they are not 3/4-14 valves.
The good news is you can have your son pump them up with a bicycle pump.

just keep in mind, they are 1800 psi tanks..... Do not let a shop monkey do something stupid when filling them. The proper burst disc may also be problematic to find. As to a modern isolation, I think it is highly likely too they are not 3/4-14 valves.
Hard to be certain from the pictures, but it looks like 1/2 inch NPT manifold and 1 inch to 1/2 inch NPT bushings. I just put new 1800 psi burst disc assemblies into some 1/2 NPT post valves... they make them for paintball co2 cylinders.
@azstinger11 , if you decide you don't want to keep them, let me know. I have a 10 y.o. that these tanks are perfect for!
Respectfully,
James

Back
Top Bottom