Tsunami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what I'm about to say.....I'm just going to write and see where it leads.......

I've been watching the TV the last few days with ever more stunned disbelief at the images I've been seeing from south Asia. Natural disasters always bring us back to earth but I don't recall ever seeing anything in my life that compares to this. The Dutch TV is reporting over 127,000 dead and more than a million homeless. The images of the dead, wounded and mourning are broadcast here without mercy. Without a sterilizing filter of self censorship. Journalists holding back the tears. It's like having the stench roll right into your living room.....

And I am shocked.

Shocked at what I see. Shocked at what I hear. Shocked at the gut-wrenching depth of the suffering.

The word "catastrophe" sounds euphemistic. Dead babies like so many mud-covered dolls being carried, their lifeless bodies snuggled by keening fathers. Children orphaned, confused and alone, couples on vacation screaming out in panic and trying to hold on to each other, as yet unaware they they too will become "statistics". The walking wounded--the lucky ones--who will be eaten by infection as the stink forces its way deeper and deeper into their bodies through the gash left by mother nature's indifference.

Hospitals overloaded. Help organizations with decades of experience left dizzy with confusion. Governments scrambling to "do something" while people dig the dead out of the mud. Using their noses to locate their loved ones. Repressing the trauma, delaying the reality. Desperate to help those who are now beyond reach. Collecting DNA samples.

Collecting DNA samples.

Collecting DNA......all that is left.

Is this all we can do?

Only a few helicopters showing tangible evidence that the outside world even knows.......

I'm relieved to see the pledges. 500 million from Japan. 350 from America, 325 from the World bank (wasn't it?).

Enough for now. Now run. RUN!

If you pray then use that time. Pray for closure. Pray for acceptance, Pray for miracles, pray for the dead, for the survivors and for those who will still die. Pray for parents who are crazy with anguish, wondering where their children are. Pray for a quick end to this.

Pray for an end to the tidal wave of grief.

R..

Thank you for this wonderful post. I could not have said it better myself. I even printed it off for my wife to read. This tradgedy is so great that I am still having a hard time digesting it. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims of this disaster.

Andrew

We lost over 3000+ Americans over 3 years ago now in the 9/11 attacks, and these countries lost over 120,000 people in no time flat. The difference in deaths is not really reflected in the American media coverage.

This may be the highest death count via a single incident that we may ever experience, but you cant tell that from the media.

Do you think American's are compassionate at all? Or is it the NIMBY thinking? Not In My BackYard, dont care thinking?

Why are you even questioning the compassion of the US people? What is your point? We were the fist in to help and will be the last out. The rest of the world is pulling "'one up manship" with donations, which is great, the more the better! We now have ten warships donating all there rescources like fuel, air support, fresh water, food, and medical care to these unfortunate people. We have landed uncounted planes full of food and water. Events like this are just plain overwhelming...... As far as the death toll, the two nukes droped on Japan that stopped WW2 killed far more.

I think Jepuskar has a good point. It took the White House three days to come out with a statement- to ME, IMO, that says a lot. Maybe its because Europe is more affiliated with that area. Most of my friends have been to India on vacation, most to Thailand (I have been to both) Europeans are more familiar with that area, as oppose to four out of ten americans that frankly can't put thailand on a map. The news networks caught on quick, but I really don't think the intensity of this tragic event has really hit our government yet.

3 days? I think not. At three days the world was still trying to figure out just how big and bad this was. We still are.

I would wonder just how much can be covered about something that was speculation as to just how big it was? If you didn't like the media coverage, blame the liberal media. 35,000 was the first death toll, now it just keeps growing. As this whole tragic event unfolds, so will out wallets.

baltimoron:
It took the White House three days to come out with a statement- to ME, IMO, that says a lot.

What's your point?

It took Kofi Annan 4 days to release a statement.
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2004/sgsm9660.doc.htm

Not to be too critical, but the whole world has been trying to grapple with this tragedy. I think even at 7 days out, we're just now realizing the true extent of the damage and destruction that took place.

I think that this catastrophe is so great that people are looking for something small and comprehensible to vent their frustration toward.
I believe that Rototurner expressed the agony well.
Things take time, the original US donation was seed money. Anything large has to be first planned, that takes a small part of the budget. As reports come in and data analysed, real needs are assessed and then we can attempt to meet them. Whether business, politics, war, or humanitarian budgeting, data is required before full action can be taken.

Tom

I am questioning the compassion of the American people because I am an American and because I can! Who are you to question why I am questioning the compassion of the American people? My point is, Americans are too wrapped up in their own lives to give a crap about something going on somewhere far far away...say Iraq or Idonesia.

< Sorry, that this post was soo short, but I have a massive hangover from partying last night. I also need to get all my gear together for my upcoming diving trip>

jepuskar:
We lost over 3000+ Americans over 3 years ago now in the 9/11 attacks, and these countries lost over 120,000 people in no time flat. The difference in deaths is not really reflected in the American media coverage.

This may be the highest death count via a single incident that we may ever experience, but you cant tell that from the media.

Do you think American's are compassionate at all? Or is it the NIMBY thinking? Not In My BackYard, dont care thinking?

First off, there are at least a couple thousand americans unaccounted for, so the NIMBY analogy doesn't hold water. Second, I haven't seen much on Fox News that wasn't tsunami-related for the last few days, 'cept the New Year's junk. CNN's website is similarly chock-full of tsunami news... its hard to filter it out and see what else is happening worldwide (which is a LOT by the way).

I wouldn't view a delay in a public press release as a sign that the government response was slow. The U.S. military had significant assets in play the morning of December 28th... that's a VERY fast response time.
- U.S. Air Force C-130 cargo aircraft in Yokota, Japan, loaded with relief supplies are expected to deploy to Utapao, Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand.
- U.S. Navy deployed P-3 aircraft from Kadena, Japan, to operate in the vicinity of Thailand with Utapao, Royal Thai Air Force Base, serving as a hub for operations.
- Other forces enroute to the region that could be committed to relief efforts, if necessary, include USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group, including USS Shoup, USS Shiloh, USS Benfold, and USNS Ranier and USS Bonhomme Richard Expeditionary Strike Group, including USS Duluth, USS Milius, USS Rushmore, USS Thach, USS Pasadena and USCG Munro.
- U.S. Air Force will deploy KC-135 aircraft from Japan and Guam to provide assistance as directed.

Note the many "if's" in this quote from from a Department of Defense press release. At the time, even they weren't sure what was going on. Yet they were mobilized anyway. Hooray for our side. Nobody else's relief efforts come even close in actual on-site assistance. I think an entire Marine brigade is even shipping out to Sri Lanka.

Donating money for humanitarian relief is fine and dandy, but what really counts right now is getting people on the ground to assess damage and directly help, and transport necessary cargo. The U.S. is definitely doing a bang-up job in that regard. I keep close tabs on the military deployments, and they're considerable and growing. Here, visit the U.S. Navy's newspage to see what's going on with just that branch of the military. There are even two oceanographic survey ships heading out to check out the earthquake site.
http://www.navy.mil/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom