MSDT Prep Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen McCallister

Registered
Reaction score
i will be going through the MSDT prep course next month. I am wondering how many specialties i can pick up, if it is dependent on the school, or i can just pick up a few and then self certify for those specilties?
Not trying to break the rules or find a way around them. Would like to do things properly.
Thanks

i will be going through the MSDT prep course next month. I am wondering how many specialties i can pick up, if it is dependent on the school, or i can just pick up a few and then self certify for those specilties?
Not trying to break the rules or find a way around them. Would like to do things properly.
Thanks
If I recall correctly, I believe it's five for MSDT. I did Deep, Nav, O2 Provider, Drysuit and Search and Recovery as part of my MSDT back in the day. I did Nitrox separately, but that would be a useful one of they will do it as an option. It's also a requirement if you go on to tech Tec40-45-50. Obviously you get PPB thrown in with your OWSI, but can't remember if this can count towards your five or not.

If I recall correctly, I believe it's five for MSDT. I did Deep, Nav, O2 Provider, Drysuit and Search and Recovery as part of my MSDT back in the day. I did Nitrox separately, but that would be a useful one of they will do it as an option. It's also a requirement if you go on to tech Tec40-45-50. Obviously you get PPB thrown in with your OWSI, but can't remember if this can count towards your five or not.

OK thanks. I have seven specialties that I have so not really sure if I want to take on some new ones or just specialize in the ones I already have.
I heard that Project aware has all 6 for the price of 2 in regards to their specialties. If so i hope that it will last until i start my MSDT. I know they are going to throw in boat for free and one other course. I just would like to walk away with as much as possible and be confident about them. Dont want to get certs just to have them.

OK thanks. I have seven specialties that I have so not really sure if I want to take on some new ones or just specialize in the ones I already have.
I heard that Project aware has all 6 for the price of 2 in regards to their specialties. If so i hope that it will last until i start my MSDT. I know they are going to throw in boat for free and one other course. I just would like to walk away with as much as possible and be confident about them. Dont want to get certs just to have them.
Just checking we're on the same page here; you say you have seven specialties. As your doing MSDT prep, I assume you're talking about specialty instructor certs and not just specialty certs?

Project Aware is given to an OWSI and does not count towards MSDT. Unless you are talking about Master Scuba Diver and not MSDT.

Assuming the number of dives in your profile is correct, I think you want to become a master scuba diver (MSD). In order to do this, you need to have at least 5 specialties, it doesn't matter which ones. Personally, I always recommend deep, navigation, wreck, night and nitrox, because I believe these are the ones that improve your experience most and open new doors for you. However, talk to your instructor to find a set that works best for you. In addition to the specialties, you need to have at least 50 dives, and you need to be a rescue diver.

An MSDT is a Master Scuba Diver Trainer. This means an instructor who can teach at least 5 specialties and has a certain level of experience teaching. If you want to become an MSDT, best to have a chat with a course director.

Edit: you mentioned self certify earlier. As an MSDT you can self certify to teach a specialty, provided you can proof sufficient experience in that specialty. Self certification is only possible after you become an MSDT, and does not count towards it. If you are a divemaster or higher already, you can find details on MSDT on page 182 of your instructor manual. Again, a course director can teach you how to teach specialties, so find one and have a chat with him / her

Just checking we're on the same page here; you say you have seven specialties. As your doing MSDT prep, I assume you're talking about specialty instructor certs and not just specialty certs?

I currently have 7 specialties. I will be doing my MSDT Prep next month so I can teach specialties.

Assuming the number of dives in your profile is correct, I think you want to become a master scuba diver (MSD). In order to do this, you need to have at least 5 specialties, it doesn't matter which ones. Personally, I always recommend deep, navigation, wreck, night and nitrox, because I believe these are the ones that improve your experience most and open new doors for you. However, talk to your instructor to find a set that works best for you. In addition to the specialties, you need to have at least 50 dives, and you need to be a rescue diver.

An MSDT is a Master Scuba Diver Trainer. This means an instructor who can teach at least 5 specialties and has a certain level of experience teaching. If you want to become an MSDT, best to have a chat with a course director.

Edit: you mentioned self certify earlier. As an MSDT you can self certify to teach a specialty, provided you can proof sufficient experience in that specialty. Self certification is only possible after you become an MSDT, and does not count towards it. If you are a divemaster or higher already, you can find details on MSDT on page 182 of your instructor manual. Again, a course director can teach you how to teach specialties, so find one and have a chat with him / her

I currently have 70 dives, rescue, master diver, specialties in: Equipment, wreck, night, deep, navigation, PPB, naturalist, and search and recovery.

I am going to the Keys this week and will be doing about 4 dives a day for a week then my dive master then the IDC, EFRI, MSDT, and resort ops, then graduate.

I have read some peoples opinions on the matter about the number of dives and becoming an instructor with so few dives. While I will agree that it is usually true, its not in all cases. I have seen divers that have logged a few hundred dives and could use some retraining. I am approaching things humbly and know i will never stop learning even if I am an instructor. I am nervous and excited about it all. This is a career change for me so i am taking it very serious.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for claryfying, I understand were you are coming from now. I'm glad you already read up on the 100 dives as a required minimum. Like most, I would encourage you to do as many dives as you can, so you will have experience to build on once you become a DM/ instructor. If you can do these dives without another instructor there, this is even better. You do not need to be a DM in order to lead a dive with buddy's so make sure you get some time in the water without an instructor there.
I also would advise you to just be a DM for a while, there is a whole lot to learn there. Given your tight schedule, this might not work for you, but if you have the chance, consider it.
The IDC is not about learning how to dive, it is learning how to teach. If you are like most, in the beginning of your teaching carreer this is quite enough to have on your mind, so I wouldnt worry too much about what specialties you are going to teach. After all, the main thing is learning how to teach a specialty, not so much the specialty itself.
After your IE you should talk to your CD on the most valuable specialties for the resort. Often nitrox, deep, ppb and night are quite frequently thought, but obviously this differs from place to place.
As said before, your schedule is quite thight. Hopefully, the resort ops you mention gives you a lot of teaching opportunities, because you do need to certify quite a few people before you can become an MSDT. Best of luck, keep learning and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom