My Drysuit Experience w/o Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings,

Like so many before me, I was stuck asking the question of whether I wanted to take a drysuit class or save $200 (actually $400 if I count my wife as well). I was leaning towards taking a class, but Covid-19 happened which shut down all of the area pools our dive shop used. I also thought back to our peak performance buoyancy course which was a waste of money. By the time we got to the course, we had practiced what I learned from Scubaboard. We were both able to complete the skills without any issues. In the end, our instructor spent all of his time with another student who had a lot of troubles while we just watched.

In the end, I opted to purchase a new PADI manual and DVD (2016 crew pack) from eBay for $23.00 and forgo formal training. I in no means am arguing this is the best choice nor do I want to start a debate about whether the class is needed or not as I already know the wide spectrum of opinions on the subject after reading through many of the threads discussing the subject. We chose to skip the class and this is my experience.

After reading the PADI drysuit manual and watching the what seemed to be an ancient drysuit video, I was confident that I could practice the skills without an instructor. In all honesty, there wasn't really anything in the manual that I hadn't already learned from scubaboard. We did know to ignore the following line "Underwater, you'll use only your suit to control your buoyancy if you are wearing a shell dry suit." Our shop talked about this when we did our AOW as well. They stated with steel tanks they never teach to use the drysuit for buoyancy.

The first thing that both my wife Lisa and I did was the practice in our backyard pool. It is not deep. I posted the video on this tread called Shelter in Place Diving . We did weight checks with our undergarments the best we could with the shallow pool. We practiced removing and replacing the inflator hose. We worked on buoyancy while playing with how much air we needed in the drysuit to be comfortable. We played with our dump valve. I noticed mine leaked a bit. We practiced lifting our elbow from a trim position. Here is Lisa in the pool for the first time. She is wearing a made to measure USIA Aqua Deluxe drysuit.

IMG_08631-scaled.jpg

On July 4th, we were finally able to get Lisa's sister to watch our children so we could go diving. We decided to go out to Wazee Lake in Wisconsin since we know the quarry well and there are several dive platform to work off of if needed. We left the underwater camera behind because we knew it would be unwise to worry about video while learning the drysuits.

We loaded up our gear into my ford focus. We brought our wetsuits just in case. It was a bit tight, especially with our new EZup Canopy.

IMG_09161-scaled.jpg

When we arrived at Wazee I was surprised by the lack of divers. We pulled up to an area called bluegill alley which has a 30 foot platform straight from shore and a compass course to the right of the shore. There is also a 100 foot line to time/measure kick cycle. We set up our tent and unloaded our gear. We discussed what we were going to work on and where we were going to go. As I noted before we know this dive site very well. In fact this is the place we went to hash out our non-existent navigation skills after leaving our open water class underwhelmed by what we were taught and had to demonstrate.

106720671_10102578385787861_1771213414234463544_n.jpg

It was hot outside and I must admit, it seemed very strange to put on warm undergarments when we were sweating before we started doing anything. While donning our drysuit, both Lisa and I forgot to watch the suspenders. I had to start over but Lisa was able to un-velcro the suspenders and reposition them. My neck seal slid on easily with how much sweat was dripping from my head. Lisa cursed her long hair a few times swearing she will cut it all off (I always wanted her to get a short haircut). I had trouble getting my dive computer on with the permanent dry gloves. I also realized I couldn't get my compass over the ring so I ended up wearing it on my hand which worked well.

We got our BCD on, did our buddy checks, and waded into the water. Lisa had trouble getting her fins on but managed to get them on. We will need to buy her bigger fins. We began our descent and we slowly added air to our drysuit and wing.

The first half-hour of the dive was uneventful. I felt my buoyancy was spot on. All the pool practice had paid off. Diving the drysuit seemed no different than diving wet. Besides needing to add a little air here and there for comfort, I did not notice any difference. Lisa had a little more trouble, but she also did not spend as much time in the pool as I did. We swam around, under, and over the platform. We changed our depth and practice venting our drysuit and wing as needed. (on a side note, instead of using my kidney dump valve I defaulted back to the inflator/deflator. It felt off but at the time but I couldn't figure out why).

I motioned Lisa to follow me towards the compass course. Each of the sunken attractions are at different depths. I added more air to my drysuit. I really started to wonder how much air is comfortable enough. Every press of the inflator valve provided more comfort. Things were going well, but I started to feel a weird feeling in my legs. Finning was getting more difficult. I couldn't place my finger on what was happening. My first thought was I was just out of shape. As we followed our heading to what is known as the compass head the water became shallower. I think we went from around 30 feet to 15 feet. Before I knew it I could feel myself losing control of my buoyancy. I fought to make myself natural but before I knew it I was already at 5 feet. Lisa gestured what happened. We both surfaced and talked about what happened.

I concluded I put too much air in my drysuit. We also noted how much longer it takes to vent our drysuits compared to the BCD. We both descended and finished the dive without incident. At our safety stop, I worked on my back fining which is slowly getting better. After surfacing, we dumped some air to get our tanks down to 500 psi. I was able to drop 4 pounds. Lisa thought she could drop a couple of pounds but decided it was close enough. During the surface interval, we did not fully doff our drysuits instead opting just drop the top and remove our upper undergarments. I notice my undergarment seemed quite wet. My wife thought it was sweat. We also talked about the feeling of getting footlight. We discussed what we would do if we had a foot first ascent.

Our second dive went well. I felt much better in the water after removing four pounds. This time, I decided to only put air in my drysuit when it started causing discomfort. Once again, I thought to myself, how much suit squeeze is bearable. I did notice there seemed to be a somewhat fine line between too much squeeze which limited my mobility and to much air that began to make me feel unstable (not sure how to describe the feeling). We went to the fish cribs which offers a great opportunity to work on buoyancy since two of the cribs are much shallower than the other two in a short distance. This time a felt much better. Lisa enjoyed just hovering near the cribs watching the large fish who did not seem to mind us being there. I think we would have stayed a little be longer, but I was worried about a single diver that asked about the dive site. He had asked if it would be ok to use the platform we tied our dive flag to. I lead the way back to the platform and then surfaced after 32 minutes.

We saw that the new diver was not in the water yet. We talked about the dive. We both noted that it is hard to tell if any air is being released from the drysuit while lifting our arms. With over half a tank left we stayed at our dive flag and offered the new diver who was alone to dive with us. At first, he said no, but he then changed his mind. We were on the surface for 15-20 minutes. At one point we saw bubbles coming from lisa's inflator. We unhooked and rehooked the hose without any luck. After taking a closer look, I noticed the connection to the inflator was loose. I was able to hand tighten it while in the water which stopped the leak.

In our third dive we did not work on any skills but instead took the new diver to the platform and then showed him the compass course and fish cribs. I also tried to work with him a little bit to get his buoyancy under control, but that might be a completely different thread. I led with my wife taking the rear. It was a good dive but my wife did tell me I need to slow down. Lisa had a little trouble with her safety stop. After two minutes she found herself at the surface. The new diver also did not complete his safety stop. We talked with the new diver and made a few suggestions. We told him we needed to change our tanks. He still had 1200 psi and decided to go back down alone. I was worried about him for the rest of the day.

I fully doffed my drysuit to use the restroom and make lunch. My undergarments were wet. I hung them up and notice they started to drip. I wrung them out as much as I could. Did I have a leak (I have a thread about this called Drysuit leak or Sweat?

After lunch, we went back to the water for one more dive. Before suiting up, I tightened up the inflator with a small wrench. This time we changed our tanks out for LP72's I picked up. We were running short on time. From diving the lp72 previously, I knew I needed to add more weight but was unsure of how much (I left my dive log at home). I didn't want to be underweight so I added 4 pounds back. Lisa did not change her weight. This dive went without any trouble. After the dive, Lisa suggested I extending my resting (glide) stage of the frog kick.

In the end, I think our self "training" dives went well. We both have work to due so we plan to keep our dive profiles shallower until we get some more underwater time. At this time, I don't think we will do the PADI drysuit course. I just don't think it will be worth it.

There are those who are convinced one needs a thousand classes in everything. I too watched a video almost 30 years ago. Went to the pool, did some drills, and then just dove. Now I own two suits; a 3mm w/hooded vest and a drysuit. If its to cold for the first then it's dry. Where I live the water is never really warm so 80% of my dives are dry.

As regards all those certs available to divers, some are indeed advisable, others are just the cash register cachinging!! In any case just stay in your comfort zone and enjoy diving

Couple of tips, in case you didn't get these from reading the book:

In the beginning at least, it's a good idea to watch your exhaust valve when dumping air so you can see when you are in the right position to vent the suit. As you get the hang of it, and learn the correct attitude, you might not need to look. I still use visual confirmation of dumping.

Dump as much air from the suit prior to ascending, then use the BC for buoyancy control on ascent.

If you are going to be in colder water, you may need a bit more lead. You have to add more air to stay warm, in order to loft the undergarments.

Did you practice the recovery technique from a foot-first ascent? That's an important maneuver to work on.

Good luck.

most likly you were trying to dump air from yor valve , if air doesn't come out water will go in ...........opening a valve underwater only has 2 concussions........... check your position make sure the air is in the highest part of the suit

Sounds like you've covered things pretty well and gone about it in a methodical way. The rest now is mainly practice to fine tune your DS diving.

Regarding the suspected leak, as @abnfrog says really. I would also say that condensed sweat is a likely factor given the topside temperature. Unlike sweating in normal clothes, once you're zipped up the sweat can't evaporate and will condense and chill, giving the impression of dampness due to a leak. On a warm day it's always best to get all kit prepped and checked first, then chill out in the shade before donning your suit.

Nice summary and good approach to learning your drysuits!

You‘ve learned that summer drysuit diving in the Midwest (hot & humid topside but cold water) can be quite challenging. Establishing a gearing up routine is key so that you can do it quickly & efficiently. Timing is also key. Remember that you can always get in the water to cool off after you get your suit on but before kitting up. That was a very useful tip I learned early on.

In any case just stay in your comfort zone and enjoy diving

Will do. We will be taking it easy on our dives.

it's a good idea to watch your exhaust valve when dumping air

I did this on our last dive. Sometimes I would see air come out when other times I had nothing. The crazy thing is I really just didn't know how much air was in the suit. Unlike the wing in which I have an idea of what needs to be dumped, I have no sense of that with the drysuit right now. I am sure like venting the wing it will take some practice and experience to build that sense.

Did you practice the recovery technique from a foot-first ascent?

Only Front Summersault which seemed harder than in wetsuit. My wife was talking to me last night that you can really feel the air in the suit move around. She normally likes to go on her back to blow rings, but she said she never felt comfortable enough to do that.

check your position make sure the air is in the highest part of the suit

I think this is what I really need to work on. While in trim it is hard for me to get my valve high enough. This is where it would be nice to have an instructor watch and correct.

On a warm day it's always best to get all kit prepped and checked first, then chill out in the shade before donning your suit.

We chilled out under the tent after getting our kit together. I was dripping with sweat which started as soon as I got out of the car.

Remember that you can always get in the water to cool off after you get your suit on but before kitting up.

I will give this a try the next time we are out. I know we did this with our wetsuits but I guess I didn't think it would have much effect in a drysuit.

I will give this a try the next time we are out. I know we did this with our wetsuits but I guess I didn't think it would have much effect in a drysuit.

For me it helped immensely!!! I would do it every time when topside conditions were hot & humid. Feels soooo good!! I would even do it boat diving at times if it wasn’t rough. Just go down the ladder and hang in the water a bit then come back up and kit up.

As has been said, if you don't put air into the suit, you will get water in. You need a 'slight positive pressure' in the suit.

If you have a CVD (Constant Volume Dump), it wants to be 'closed' a few clicks, so that you can achieve a slight positive pressure.

In the early days, once you have your weight settled, it is a little easier (and builds confidence) if you 'count the clicks', i.e. with your correct weight you need to close the valve 6 clicks. Then you can always start your dives correctly set.
With time, you have the confidence and feel just to close it, open it, and adjust on the fly without conscious thought.

Being over weight is bad. 1 kg excess weight means 1 litre excess air to offset it (either in the suit or in the BCD).
1kg = 2.2lb
1 litre = 1.05 US Quarts
That said, being under weight is also bad :) If you don't have 'some air' in the suit/BCD then controlling buoyancy becomes more difficult.

It is almost guaranteed that you will reduce the required weight once you gain confidence and become more comfortable, in much the same way you did when you initially started diving. Don't worry if you don't - you might just be a natural!

Remember you have a buddy, they can see the air venting, even if you can't, so use your buddy. You can practice ascending face to face initially.

If you want to be cruel to your buddy dive on their left side slightly above them. They will look up and left and natural roll left shoulder up, this will dump air and mess with their buoyancy.
I say this because it is a natural 'mistake' and is often why people are constantly needing to aid air to the suit.

Dumping from a CVD is ok, but can be slower than a BC. Having to dump a large volume of gas through a CVD can be problematic, this is generally only a problem if you are over weighted. Dumping a little often is much better than trying to dump a lot at the last minute.
Also, it is not unknown for a 'fluffy' undersuit to clog the dump valve, further restricting the gas flow (i.e. a fleece, or woolly bear undersuit). A lot of undersuits have a mesh or modified section in the shoulder, or a smooth nylon surface.
This is normally obvious, you can see the air in the shoulder around the valve, but it is not escaping the valve. This isn't often an issue, if it is suspected then I usually wrap duct tape around the shoulder as a test. I have seen people cut the toes out of a sock and pull this up their arm to their shoulder to stop the problem.

With a single cylinder, there is so little additional weight, that it is almost easier to dive purely on the suit, than use the BCD. I know this is a contentious statement.

Also practice overriding the CVD (pressing down on the CVD forces it open), this will 'force dump' any air in the suit (but can result in a wet arm).
Practice tucking and rolling. This is a good way of forcing air out of a suit. Getting your head and shoulder up. This is the technique used to escape an inversion.
You can do this on the surface after donning the suit - it makes you look shrink wrapped (more noticeable in a membrane). A worth while trick if you seem very positive when you initially get in (requiring extra lead to descend) then heavy on the bottom.

Dry suit diving is actually easier in many ways, on ascent, the 'dumping' of gas is automatic. It's just a matter of getting used to it.
If you dive in a temperate climate, it will increase your overall enjoyment. No one likes to be cold and wet. You will feel warmer and more inclined to do that second or third dive of the day.

Have fun

Gareth

Back
Top Bottom