Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears that tourism is returning to the island. The daily flight from DFW is beginning to return to more normal loads starting this last weekend and for the first time since the crisis began I see Fridays flight slightly overbooked. Much of this is due to flight reductions from the other airlines but it is a beginning. Economicly this beginning trickel of tourism in no way will make up for the lack of cruise ships but it's a start.

It appears that tourism is returning to the island. The daily flight from DFW is beginning to return to more normal loads starting this last weekend and for the first time since the crisis began I see Fridays flight slightly overbooked. Much of this is due to flight reductions from the other airlines but it is a beginning. Economicly this beginning trickel of tourism in no way will make up for the lack of cruise ships but it's a start.
But a start for what? I'll be watching it closely.

But a start for what? I'll be watching it closely.

We all get it. You are deathly afraid of the virus. You don't want anyone to travel right now and all should stay home wearing a masks. Maybe let this thread continue on for those people actually wanting to travel and leave the constant fear mongering on the other thread.

We all get it. You are deathly afraid of the virus. You don't want anyone to travel right now and all should stay home wearing a masks. Maybe let this thread continue on for those people actually wanting to travel and leave the constant fear mongering on the other thread.
Travel or not according to your own decision; I choose not to for now. I have more reason to avoid exposure than do some others, that is true, but I do want to get back to Cozumel as soon as I can. If you are trying to get me to shut up about my concerns for the people of Cozumel as they try to find a way to get back in business, that isn't going to happen.

Travel or not according to your own decision; I choose not to for now. I have more reason to avoid exposure than do some others, that is true, but I do want to get back to Cozumel as soon as I can. If you are trying to get me to shut up about my concerns for the people of Cozumel as they try to find a way to get back in business, that isn't going to happen.
How do you suppose the working people of Cozumel feel about your concerns?

How do you suppose the working people of Cozumel feel about your concerns?
I suspect that they feel conflicted, the same as I do, but what difference does it make? It's not like I have any authority over what goes on there.

Seems to me the thread is titled, "Can we go to Coz yet?" so IMO his concerns fit the thread. Now if you start a thread called "Is Coz open for business?" then maybe not so much. I for one don't generally appreciate seeing others shouted down. Also "fear mongering" is a pretty loaded term considering most of the world considers this a pandemic...so how about a bit of kindness? :) If you don't like his comments, that's what ignore is for. All IMHO. YMMV. I for one am headed there in August and Nov.. I know @ggunn wishes he was too. Hopefully things will change and his personal risk assessment will allow him to join us soon. :clearmask:

I suspect that they feel conflicted, the same as I do, but what difference does it make? It's not like I have any authority over what goes on there.
"If you are trying to get me to shut up about my concerns for the people of Cozumel as they try to find a way to get back in business, that isn't going to happen."

The people I talked to on Cozumel in late May didn't seem too conflicted. They wanted the tourists back. I have closer friends on the mainland. They are very concerned about the virus, but not conflicted about their need and desire to get back to work.

For the most part, I see people concerned about their next meal - others that are in a more comfortable situation are concerned about he long term effects. Right way or wrong way I think has come down to an individual choice or decision - it's nice to see people moving around again but inside I cringe.

Even if you could flip a switch and make this go away, there's gonna be a long term effect, seems like every other day we hear of another business closing or not able to pay their employees. Can a business survive at this 30% rate we have now, who knows but at least it's something coming in for a few people.

I have to agree. I spoke to many people in Cozumel and found nothing but overwhelming relief that people were starting to come back. There was no conflict. The key is following guidelines. It can be done if people choose to do it. People need to separate the travel aspect from the following of guidelines aspect, Anyone who suggests that you shouldn’t go to Cozumel whilst following guidelines, but then goes to the supermarket in Texas or Florida or Wisconsin etc. has zero gravitas in my book.

Asking people to sacrifice themselves and their families for the perceived greater good, with no guarantee that there will ever be any sort of vaccine is easy...But it’s opinion. My mother doesn’t think anyone should go out of the house now before the end of 2021 unless there is a 100% verified vaccine. Not even open doors.

seems pretty simple to me:

If you are high risk, don’t go out.

If you want to travel to places who want you to come (accepting flights) then follow the guidelines and go if you want to.

if you don’t want to follow the guidelines, you probably don’t follow any rules anyway, so short of making it illegal, or closing down borders or stopping flights, there is little we can do about that demographic. But if you have an issue with it, petition governments to close borders or airlines to cancel flights etc...don’t bleat at those who are following the safety regulations.

I really don’t understand why people have such an issue about wearing a mask though...it’s like getting annoyed at someone for wearing underwear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom