Pony Bottle / Stage Bottle / Decompression Bottle. What's the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue is with multiple second stages. It leads to potential confusion in the system and is carrying extra equipment that doesn't need to be there.

Agreed!

@RyanT and @Angelo Farina correct. The issue is with multiple second stages. It leads to potential confusion in the system and is carrying extra equipment that doesn't need to be there. Goes against KISS and all of the original thoughts being hogarthian configurations where you only take what is necessary and valuable. The extra second stage is not necessary and only brings confusion.

There is one scenario that is a distinct possibility in the diving I do, where carrying the alternate second stage on the back gas, in addition to a pony tank is necessary and valuable. I solo dive with a AL80, a 19 ft3 pony strapped to the AL80, a long hose primary, the alternate main second stage clipped to my right chest D ring, and the pony second bungied on my neck. I dive where there are other rec divers of all skill levels. If another diver goes OOA and I can get to him or her before their buddy then they get my primary and I instantly go on my bungied pony. Once things have calmed down I can switch to my back gas alternate second. My pony is strictly for an emergency when my main gas has failed. For me, there is no confusion. Having the additional second stage creates a safer enviornment for me and the OOA diver in this scenario.

Given your bias as a technical diver/instructor adhering to the demands and the philosophy of the diving you do, you have made a training problem into an equipment problem.

There is one scenario that is a distinct possibility in the diving I do, where carrying the alternate second stage on the back gas, in addition to a pony tank is necessary and valuable. I solo dive with a AL80, a 19 ft3 pony strapped to the AL80, a long hose primary, the alternate main second stage clipped to my right chest D ring, and the pony second bungied on my neck. I dive where there are other rec divers of all skill levels. If another diver goes OOA and I can get to him or her before there buddy then they get my primary and I instantly go on my bungied pony. Once things have calmed down I can switch to my back gas alternate second. My pony is strictly for an emergency when my main gas has failed. For me, there is no confusion. Having the additional second stage creates a safer enviornment for me and the OOA diver in this scenario.

Given your bias as a technical diver/instructor adhering to the demands and the philosophy of the diving you do, you have made a training problem into an equipment problem.

There is no problem, necessarily with that configuration. However, it does increase the complexity of your rig, the chance of failure and the chance of confusion of the second stages.

Having the pony on a necklace eliminates a lot of the drawback of having three second stages. It should be harder to misidentify the pony for a primary reg and if you get a free flow from any of those second stages, you should be able to identify which one pretty easily.

So the primary benefit is that it gives you more options with an OOA buddy or random diver you may encounter. If you feel that benefit outweighs the other negatives, then your choice of three second stages is very defensible in my opinion.

I use an air 2 instead of the 3rd second stage, which I think has some small advantages over 3 standard second stages, but we are splitting hairs on the consequences of that option - in my opinion anyway.

There is one scenario that is a distinct possibility in the diving I do, where carrying the alternate second stage on the back gas, in addition to a pony tank is necessary and valuable. I solo dive with a AL80, a 19 ft3 pony strapped to the AL80, a long hose primary, the alternate main second stage clipped to my right chest D ring, and the pony second bungied on my neck. I dive where there are other rec divers of all skill levels. If another diver goes OOA and I can get to him or her before their buddy then they get my primary and I instantly go on my bungied pony. Once things have calmed down I can switch to my back gas alternate second. My pony is strictly for an emergency when my main gas has failed. For me, there is no confusion. Having the additional second stage creates a safer enviornment for me and the OOA diver in this scenario.

to what benefit? You have already been on your pony so it has to be filled at the end of the dive. If the pony is sufficiently sized, then what benefit does switching to backgas have? Why do you feel the need to have that extra complexity in your rig, yet if we were in a cave or inside of a wreck, that configuration would not be allowed?

So pretty much in English the past tense of dive is dived. And Americans made up a word with false etymology because dive rhymes with drive.

If by English you mean British English. You guys lost ownership of the English language over 200 yrs ago. :wink:

If by English you mean British English. You guys lost ownership of the English language over 200 yrs ago. :wink:
Now now boys.

To be fair, our American cousins have helped evolve the English language hugely in their brief history.

For instance, were would we be now if it wasn't for such eloquent prose as "do you want fries with that?", or "awesome!" to describe something which is mildly interesting at best.
:stirpot:

Obviously by American, I'm not including our Canadian friends since they speak proper like what I does.

Now now boys.

To be fair, our American cousins have helped evolve the English language hugely in their brief history.

For instance, were would we be now if it wasn't for such eloquent prose as "do you want fries with that?", or "awesome!" to describe something which is mildly interesting at best.
:stirpot:

Obviously by American, I'm not including our Canadian friends since they speak proper like what I does.

We also gave you ‘groovy’ and ‘far out’ both of which originated in the jazz world. You’re welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom