Bloody dive shops...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here we pay $165 CAD for 30 fills. That's $5.50 CAD (about $4 U.S.) per fill. Is that about the only thing that's cheaper in Canada.....?

Here we pay $165 CAD for 30 fills. That's $5.50 CAD (about $4 U.S.) per fill. Is that about the only thing that's cheaper in Canada.....?

Not in Vancouver BC. Though I've only gotten fills once up there, as normally I have enough tanks for a weekend of diving.

My guess is that the cost of real estate is a big factor in the price of air.

I think I can help. Just look at PADI's definition of "Confined Water" (or SSI/SDI - whatever body you dive with).

Off the top of my head it is water with good visibility like one would expect from a pool (at least 15m) and free of current, waves etc.

During the SARS-COV-2 attack and ongoing pandemic, a lot of swimming pools were closed in Australia (they are now open again in New South Wales and Queensland) so our dive shop was using a harbour that had swimming pool like conditions.

Is there any river, harbour or lake in Belgium that might be appropriate?

At least 15m
Where did you get that number? I’ve never seen PADI define it. SDI does define the required viz. I actually do have a secchi disk for measuring.

I think I can help. Just look at PADI's definition of "Confined Water" (or SSI/SDI - whatever body you dive with).

Off the top of my head it is water with good visibility like one would expect from a pool (at least 15m) and free of current, waves etc.
Either the standards have changed since I got my first cert, or the shop I used didn't need to be bothered with standards. I suspect some of A, and a lot of B.

My first cert involved a total of 2 dives. No pool work, so I'm not sure if these were supposed to be the confined water dives or open water. Dives were done in a total of about 8-12' depth off the shore in Tampa Bay. Visibility was maybe 3'. I recall I couldn't see my booties if I was fully extended, and they were fairly bright.

Either the standards have changed since I got my first cert, or the shop I used didn't need to be bothered with standards. I suspect some of A, and a lot of B.

My first cert involved a total of 2 dives. No pool work, so I'm not sure if these were supposed to be the confined water dives or open water. Dives were done in a total of about 8-12' depth off the shore in Tampa Bay. Visibility was maybe 3'. I recall I couldn't see my booties if I was fully extended, and they were fairly bright.

More like a lot of B!!! Two dives has never been the standard nor has zero confined water work.

More like a lot of B!!! Two dives has never been the standard nor has zero confined water work.
That’s good to know. At the time, it was my only diving course, so I had no idea that it wasn’t to standard. It also turned out to be the last PADI course I did.

A few years later, I did another OW course through UF (offered YMCA, NAUI, & CMAS certs). This class was also atypical, but in the opposite direction. 6 week course with 2 3 hour work sessions each week (mostly pool work), and 5 OW checkout dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom