Navy Clear on Causes of Physiological Events in Pilots; Final Recommendations Released for PE Mitiga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brad_Horn

Contributor
Reaction score
Navy Clear on Causes of Physiological Events in Pilots; Final Recommendations Released for PE Mitigation - USNI News

Noting hypoxia is recorded as the highest % causation of rebreather fatalities the above link, whilst from a dis-similar origin, might have enough similarities to be of interest to rebreather divers. In particular the correlation with hypoxia like symptoms being attributed to high WOB. Something that is not yet optimized in most rebreathers on the market.

"On the oxygen side, the air produced by OBOGS was found to be clean, and though aviators showed symptoms of hypoxia, it turned out they didn’t actually have hypoxia – where the body’s tissues are deprived of sufficient oxygen.

Instead, “even under benign conditions, the act of breathing highly concentrated air from a closed-loop system while encumbered by bulky flight gear in a cramped cockpit is not easy. And in the dynamic environment of a fighter cockpit, we also add to the equation temperature variance, exposure to continual changes in Gs and pressure, all while managing an overwhelming amount of sensory input. All this amounts to increased what we call ‘work of breathing.’ Over time, increased levels of work of breathing can lead to fatigue and changes in breathing patterns, leading to inefficient gas exchange, and many of those symptoms look a lot like hypoxia,” he said.

“Further, the F-18 RCCA team found that ‘work of breathing’ could also be affected by improperly fit or worn flight gear, malfunctions in the oxygen mask, and malfunctions of the OBOGS unit itself,” Luchtman added. Though OBOGS has an alert system to warn pilots if it malfunctions, there is no such alert for flight gear and masks that don’t fit, aren’t being worn properly or have experienced some kind of malfunction. Luchtman said efforts to create some kind of gear alert system are immature at this point, but that the Navy is trying to explore this avenue to protect pilots against failures in the gear meant to protect their bodies."

I see only a news article ....
No study no evidence ... While PE are a serious issue and might lead to loss od aircraft and crew, what you are reporting is hardly related to diving excepting maybe high WOB.
While I do not know the details of the oxygen concentrator used un the F18, I observe that the physiological issues in diving are quite different from those associated with high performance aircraft flying. And, btw, I have a few flying hours on fast jets and a few years diving to rely upon and back up this statement.

This may help:

https://www.secnav.navy.mil/foia/readingroom/HotTopics/T-45 Aircraft Goshawk PE Report/ANX D-1 PE TYPE DESCRIPTIONS FINAL.pdf

https://www.secnav.navy.mil/foia/readingroom/HotTopics/T-45 Aircraft Goshawk PE Report/CRT PE Report (Redacted).pdf

This second link has the entire report. For divers, the medical discussion beginning on page 37 seems most interesting.

I am not a rebreather diver, but am ex-USAF, and so the information in the beginning of the report was very interesting to me. I have a safety and Industrial Hygiene background, and was very interested in how oxygen was made by removing nitrogen from the air for the F-18 system. Also, the pilots of the F-45 were experiencing DCS at a higher rate than divers, due to sudden cabin depressurization.

Because of these PEs (Physiological Events, in March (year unspecified, there were a huge number of flights cancelled because the crews were not convinced of the air worthiness of their aircraft.

Thanks for the thread.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom