Stretching the definition of "lightly used" until transparency is achieved . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got in another complete regulator system. Cost me $65 total. First stage, second stage, octo and pressure gauge. Works perfectly except the octo needs a front cover. Ordered the front cover for $16. I consider this a steal!

View attachment 596607 Here is another, rather extreme example of some "fully functional" eBay scuba equipment, from a while back. In the client's defense, the DIN valve had been covered -- concealed -- by a rubber cap, in the original listing.

Here is that connecting stem; the sintered filter; and locking screw of an older Poseidon regulator. The only time I had ever seen similar damage, was when a regulator bag was crushed by a Toyota Tacoma in Baja Sur -- and a great deal of alcohol was involved.

Yet, it was sold in this condition, by a "power" seller; and it posed quite a challenge to remove, since any hex key use was absolutely impossible. Colorful language was used.

It took some doing to get the seller to replace those trashed parts; and only after the client promised said seller, not to leave any negative reviews . . .

Lightly used as a hammer. :-D

I just got in another complete regulator system. Cost me $65 total. First stage, second stage, octo and pressure gauge. Works perfectly except the octo needs a front cover. Ordered the front cover for $16. I consider this a steal!

Mazel tov!

It's not that there aren't a few bad sellers and bad deals on eBay, it's that you have the ability to ask to see or know what you want about the items, and so long as you ask the right questions and pick the right listings, eBay's policies further make your purchase nearly risk-free. There is so much high quality used stuff floating around eBay that there's no excuse for anything except the occasional bad experience. Even when I find that through oversight or ignorance on either party's part, some problem arises, most sellers are willing to make adjustments even without calling in the refs. I'd say that's especially true for dive gear, where most sellers are just not hard-nosed.

It's not that there aren't a few bad sellers and bad deals on eBay, it's that you have the ability to ask to see or know what you want about the items, and so long as you ask the right questions and pick the right listings, eBay's policies further make your purchase nearly risk-free. There is so much high quality used stuff floating around eBay that there's no excuse for anything except the occasional bad experience. Even when I find that through oversight or ignorance on either party's part, some problem arises, most sellers are willing to make adjustments even without calling in the refs. I'd say that's especially true for dive gear, where most sellers are just not hard-nosed.

Agree with the above. Also, I do not recommend anyone buy a used regulator unless:
The buyer has a trusted friend/LDS/repair facility that he/she already knows can service it or is capable of DIY
OR
Purchases a used regulator that is recently serviced.

But getting back to post number one.
There are plenty of trusted posters right here on SB that will be happy to sell regulators to someone interested in buying a good used set or stage. Contact @rsingler @buddhasummer @DA Aquamaster @halocline @NotSure @couv and probably several others who make a hobby out of this sort of thing.

Also, I do not recommend anyone buy a used regulator unless:
The buyer has a trusted friend/LDS/repair facility that he/she already knows can service it or is capable of DIY
OR
Purchases a used regulator that is recently serviced.

Yeah, someone followed your advice; and my workbench got a workout. The problem was, the seller also claimed that the regulator, in question, had been recently serviced -- notwithstanding the fact, that the diaphragm was trashed; that, that valve stem was toast; that a funny little teflon washer was missing; or that the IP was way off.

The buyer had been a day off from leaving a bad review and calling in the sylphs at eBay and PayPal, before any agreement was made . . .

Buying from ebay is no different than buying at a garage sale, thrift store or Craig’s List. If you don’t understand what you are looking at and understand the inherent risks of buying used stuff from someone you don’t know, save your money until you can afford new or have learned enough for an informed purchase.

I bought some line cutters, new, from an online shop. They turned out to be uselessly huge and returning them was a wash because of shipping. The seller wasn’t the problem. I failed to look at the dimensions and a ruler. If I had, I would have realized they were f***ing huge and skipped them despite the price.

A $600 purchase warrants a fair amount of research. Is this person knowledgeable? Buying from someone that is trying to unload old trade ins or unsold inventory is very different than buying from an estate seller who wants to clear an old barn. The seller may legitimately have no clue what they are looking at or what is important for you. I never bet more than I am willing to walk away from when buying used. Just replacing all the hoses on a bargain regulator and having it serviced may run up a couple of hundred dollars. I expect a bigger bargain from a seller that has no clue, because I am going to assume more risk.

Was the seller in the OP deceitful or did he have some junk he wanted to unload? Somewhere in between? The buyer’s job is to figure that out. If the risk seems high, either set a low cutoff on bids or make a counter offer to mitigate risk. I don’t remember whether the mask was an auction or a fixed price, but if you got it for $200, would have been okay with what arrived?

Was the seller in the OP deceitful or did he have some junk he wanted to unload? Somewhere in between? The buyer’s job is to figure that out. If the risk seems high, either set a low cutoff on bids or make a counter offer to mitigate risk. I don’t remember whether the mask was an auction or a fixed price, but if you got it for $200, would have been okay with what arrived?

There was certainly deceit involved, with that original auction. If I recall, there was also a "buy it now" option that my client utilized. The original owner was a diver and claimed that the FFM was only used a few times and was fully functional.

That was patently untrue; so too, was the seller's geographical location, which was not even the US as originally claimed -- and, paradoxically, lessened buyer protection . . .

I have done, and will continue to do, business with eBay and other online sites, however I am picky about how the item is described, shown, and of course the price.

Here is another, rather extreme example of some "fully functional" eBay scuba equipment, from a while back. In the client's defense, the DIN valve had been covered -- concealed -- by a rubber cap, in the original listing.

If a piece is not shown in a picture, or covered, I ask for another picture, and if I don't get one I move on. Sometimes it is an honest mistake, sometimes deliberate, I rather not get into the dance if I don't know where the holes in the floor are located.

Buying from ebay is no different than buying at a garage sale, thrift store or Craig’s List. If you don’t understand what you are looking at and understand the inherent risks of buying used stuff from someone you don’t know, save your money until you can afford new or have learned enough for an informed purchase.

Buying from eBay, or any online sale, is way different than your other choices, in those venues you can inspect the item before you hand over the cash. I'd use local options except there isn't much I'm interested in on the local market. And I would use the SB sellers on this forum if I was looking for a good used ready to dive reg.

That was patently untrue; so too, was the seller's geographical location, which was not even the US as originally claimed -- and, paradoxically, lessened buyer protection . . .

I don't see how it would be an issue to inforced their rules regardless of country , and especially since the seller claimed to be in the US, just treat them like they are. I guess they must need the traffic more than reputation, I'll keep that in mind.

I'd like to add that I've waited for well over a year for a reg, or any other gear, that would satisfy my requirements of condition and price, of course I have others and am in no rush. So far I've been pleased with the results, but cameras have been a little more interesting.

I don't see how it would be an issue to inforced their rules regardless of country , and especially since the seller claimed to be in the US, just treat them like they are. I guess they must need the traffic more than reputation, I'll keep that in mind.

It was briefly mentioned, earlier in the thread, that my client purchased the item through PayPal Credit, which afforded him, so he told me, some additional protections -- provided that the purchase was made, within the States. That the seller was, unbeknownst to him, a foreign entity, using a bogus US address, placed that purchase within an unforeseen gray area; and PayPal was none too quick to come to his defense.

It took some doing, I was told, to resolve everything . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom