Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is indeed becoming the flavour or reporting though... I get particularly annoyed when the headline refers to cases ‘surging’ but then when they fall by the same margin the next day, no one is referring to them as ‘plummeting’

2 weeks ago we had one in Toronto ‘ 60% increase in new cases in last 24 hours.

it was an increase of 14 over the prior day....

not saying cases aren’t on the rise etc. But the data needs to be scrutinized properly before everyone runs for the hills.
The news is sensationalizing COVID! How dare they!

This is indeed becoming the flavour or reporting though... I get particularly annoyed when the headline refers to cases ‘surging’ but then when they fall by the same margin the next day, no one is referring to them as ‘plummeting’

2 weeks ago we had one in Toronto ‘ 60% increase in new cases in last 24 hours.

it was an increase of 14 over the prior day....

not saying cases aren’t on the rise etc. But the data needs to be scrutinized properly before everyone runs for the hills.

And not only that the cases always surge Monday and Tuesday, followed by a decreasing number for the rest of the week. Which is probably why Mexico does their assessments on Thursdays.

Sitting COZ right now and I will say it is a bit unnerving that literally the only people wearing masks at Secrets are me, my lady, and the staff. Literally None of the other guests are. Craziness. First two dives of the week just completed though so I am a Very Happy man at the moment regardless of others poor choices.

Great. Why do some people have to ruin it for everyone else?

Would you say the other guests were predominantly from the USA or somewhere else?

Great. Why do some people have to ruin it for everyone else?

Would you say the other guests were predominantly from the USA or somewhere else?

Yeah, Definitely mainly Americans.

Shouldn't surprise anyone. Our country has it's share (way too many) of science deniers/dumb asses who care little about anyone else other than themselves.
And of those brave enough to go enjoy Mexico in a pandemic.

And not only that the cases always surge Monday and Tuesday, followed by a decreasing number for the rest of the week. Which is probably why Mexico does their assessments on Thursdays.

And not only that the cases always plunge on Saturdays and Sundays, almost like weekend cases are reported on the following Monday.

It's like any other data stream; the higher the resolution of your analysis the more scattering you see. Trends are more important then the day to day (or hour to hour, or minute to minute) numbers. For the last month or so, the trending has been upward, which is the opposite direction from where we want it to go. There also may be some day to day variability in the availability of testing. For example, if testing is less available on the weekend and they take 3-4 days to report results, there could be a dip in reported cases later in the week because of it. Of course, that is pure conjecture an my part... :D

It's like any other data stream; the higher the resolution of your analysis the more scattering you see. Trends are more important then the day to day (or hour to hour, or minute to minute) numbers. For the last month or so, the trending has been upward, which is the opposite direction from where we want it to go. There also may be some day to day variability in the availability of testing. For example, if testing is less available on the weekend and they take 3-4 days to report results, there could be a dip in reported cases later in the week because of it. Of course, that is pure conjecture an my part... :D

Which is why I pay most credence to, and think reporting should be centered on, 7 day rolling averages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom