Strange regulator failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Regs fail after service all the time. I find I've had more failures after service than due to other reasons. Not going to lie. I'm at the point where I only service regs when necessary. Though I have 3 spares in the car at least every dive trip
2) Don't leave your regs in the car. Bad idea in florida
3) If you have to start a dive breathing a reg other than your primary, don't do the dive.

I know that regs have been known to fail after a service but my regs have never failed in 25 years, before or AFTER service. Yet you say, it happens all the time, and to you?

If I were you, I'd quit getting service too, and most definitely where you've been having it done.

I know that regs have been known to fail after a service but my regs have never failed in 25 years, before or AFTER service. Yet you say, it happens all the time, and to you?

If I were you, I'd quit getting service too, and most definitely where you've been having it done.

all the time probably wasnt the best words to use. Between my wife, me, and dive buddies I’ve seen enough failures such as ip creep and hp seat failures to say in my group we’ve seen them more after service than not. I’m now way more particular who can service my regs but honestly unless the regs are really getting a ton of abuse they’re only serviced as needed

I have a local shop that has serviced regs for me about a half dozen times with no problems. I picked up a used reg from a local individual & sent it in for service before using it. When I got it back, I did a quick test on an air tank at the shop. All looked good. One of the older rubber parts that had not been replaced started to crumble shortly thereafter. Fortunately, I noticed it before I dove on it. Unfortunately, that part is no longer available. That regulator now sits in quarantine, until I figure out what I am going to do with it. The moral of that story is, don't just trust a piece of equipment to be good when it comes back from service. Always give it the once over twice.

I’ve had most problems after getting my regs serviced. Or rental regs back in the day.

I’m not recommending one doesn’t get regs serviced (it’s essential) however I’ll always dive them in a pool first before anything interesting.

FWIW since many of you seem to have issues with just-serviced regs (first piece of advice - find a new repair facility) . . .

Years ago we (Reef Seekers) got a "Quick Set" machine that, once the reg service is finished, we hook up to the regs and let it run 10-15 minutes. It basically "breathes" the regulator roughly once a second to allow poppets and seats to break in. More to the point, it allows them to fail and alert us to a problem before we hand it back to you. In the 20 or so years we've been doing this, I could probably count on one hand (with fingers left over) the numbers of regs that have had problems once they left us.

If you own a store and service regs, I recommend you get one. If you're a customer having your reg serviced, I recommend you ask if your repair facility has one.

Quick set.jpg

Quick Set - Poppet & Seat Break-In Fixture

- Ken

The only thing I ever had happen to a freshly serviced reg from my dive shop was a slight hissing from the second stage. I learned to tighten it up just a tad on my own. I hardly consider that a reg failure though.

I have had a pinched diaphram and 2 x loose hoses. Since that I have either replaced the reg or DIY

Eventually, just do it yourself . . .

I had been working on my own equipment for years, without incident; but, during a move and pressed for time, with all of my tools, idle, somewhere in storage, I, mistakenly, had a local dive shop, with a then-good reputation, do the rebuilds of two regulators, circa 2012, to the tune of about 300.00.

Two strikes; never again.

Both were seriously botched -- one with a pinched diaphragm; the other, somehow, torn on its edge. The IP was off on both; and they managed to bend the servo valve on a second stage.

When I eventually confronted the tech, he openly admitted to having had little experience with my regulator brand; and even said something to the effect that he "always wanted to work on Swedish regulators'" echoing, almost verbatim, a funny old AAMCO ad, featuring a sub-idiot, holding a spigot, wishing to work on a Japanese transmission . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 73
I have taken my regs in to be serviced for a particular issue and that wasn't fixed but the regs still worked.

I found my guy that I have now or should I say, refound him because he did my regs for years and then between the two of us moving here and there, he's again my reg guy. It's a long drive but I don't mind.

This story (as many others) confirm me in my assumption that the only safe way of having your regs to be serviced, is doing the job yourself...
In more than 40 years diving, I did never leave my regs to be serviced by others.
Still I had problems, but not due to servicing them, instead I had problems for being lazy and not servicing them frequently enough. I had a first stage filter clogged with rust, and at least twice air leakage from the 1st stage piston O-ring.
On second stages, they start free flowing gently if I do not change the seat when needed.
So my recommendation is to have them serviced at proper intervals (maximum every 2 years). But do the job yourself, and always using original parts of recent make (O-rings and seats age also staying inside their package).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom