Do you need a dive flag for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some places (states, etc.) have strict laws on size/shape of the flag. New Jersey is one.
Yep.

So trying to turn the dunsel flag into something that makes sense in the back bays in the middle of the night, I added a red floating 'waterproof' tackle box with a blinking dive light in it.

Seriously, I get fined or gear confiscated for not towing an invisible dive flag?

Yep.

So trying to turn the dunsel flag into something that makes sense in the back bays in the middle of the night, I added a red floating 'waterproof' tackle box with a blinking dive light in it.

Seriously, I get fined or gear confiscated for not towing an invisible dive flag?
In Joisey, probably.

To answer your original question about the rule of thumb:

In Florida, the law is that you must display the flag any time you're diving anywhere, "other than when diving in an area customarily used for swimming only." Even if the pier doesn't get much boat traffic, you still need the flag if it isn't a place that swimmers frequent.

Given the law and the high cost of guessing wrong, the rule of thumb is to use a flag if there is any chance that a boat or law enforcement officer might venture within 100 yards of you.

Is this the pier?

Gasparilla Island Pier.png

Yep.

Not sure if it’s the law but most down here in FL put a light on our flags at night. I use one of these:

upload_2020-7-8_5-9-7.jpeg

I don't know if it is law either, but I also put a light on my flag at night.

Another thing you can do at night to help the captain know when to pick you up is to shine your light up at your flag when you are at your safety stop. It makes a nice, bright, ring of light around your flag. I also carry a reasonably powerful strobe, in case I might need it, have not so far.

Am I correct in that you need a flag for snorkeling in FL also? I think that's why I got mine before I was a diver.

Am I correct in that you need a flag for snorkeling in FL also? I think that's why I got mine before I was a diver.

Yes. The definition of a diver in the Florida statute:

“Diver” means a person who is wholly or partially submerged in the waters of the state and is equipped with a face mask and snorkel or underwater breathing apparatus.

Has anyone out there ever had someone try to steal their flag?

Has anyone out there ever had someone try to steal their flag?
Yes, it happens. The fishermen at Blue Heron Bridge are notorious for it.

FYI, a dive flag is not safety equipment and one should never think of it as anything more than a thing mandated by law that a diver must have.
I've had my share of seeing prop wash as some &(*$&*() boater zips past my flag..

Back
Top Bottom