Physical SSI Certification Card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a student has options.....the digital cert card is included with any ssi course.
if you want the physical plastic card for your wallet then you must pay extra for that. the shop will either order the card from ssi, or if they have the equip to do so, they will print off the card in the store and bingo, your done.
that said.....some shops will include the cost of the plastic card in their course price.
ssi stopped including the plastic cert cards some time ago.

I ...and I think most people...like having a physical card to show they completed training. They are my little trophies, but I think the industry in general is trying to push harder to an all digital system.

My store also purchased a card printer and we have to buy a set number of blank cards and can print them on demand. You should be able to contact SSI at 1-800-821-4319 to inquire about your card or best thing would probably to go back to your dive center and ask them. They can call the higher up people directly and get the ball rolling if its stuck.

If your dive center said it would be mailed to you...the cost of the card might have been included in the price of the course. If you contact SSI they might charge you a second time. I would talk to your dive center first.

My shop sold them upon demand. They said SSI is moving to all digital to save the environment

In my 100 dives, I guess I’ve been asked to show a cert like, 2 times.

In my 100 dives, I guess I’ve been asked to show a cert like, 2 times.

not sure who you dive with but any shop i have ever used has a waiver to sign. on that waiver you must write your cert #.

they then check the card to verify it is actually your card. the only exception would be if i personally know them so they already know i am certified.

I lost mine. Called SSI and spoke to really nice person in customer service who sent me a free replacement.

As a default when you certify someone through SSI a physical card is not printed. The instructor needs to select the option to print the card (and the dive shop is billed). If the dive shop chooses to charge for the card or not, or what they choose to charge, that is up to them. SSI will mail the card to either the shop or the diver. If you don't have a card, its the shop you need to go back to and they can order one.

The difference between, say, PADI and SSI is that with SSI all students relationships are with the dive shop they're affiliated with. SSI will try not to transact directly with them as they want the dive shop to 'own' the relationship as they believe this is a better contact point for you. PADI on the other hand want to own the relationship so they can further monetise your connection regardless of the dive shop.

not sure who you dive with but any shop i have ever used has a waiver to sign. on that waiver you must write your cert #.

they then check the card to verify it is actually your card. the only exception would be if i personally know them so they already know i am certified.
I’ve never dove outside of Asia, so maybe it’s different. I’m usually asked which organization I trained with and to what level, but never had them ask to see the physical card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom