Don't Share Your Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoyed the piece but the title was a bit misleading.

Catchy title. I appreciated the piece and agree 100%. Unfortunately I see MAJOR compliance issues in South FL even in counties where they are mandatory. As Americans we hate being boxed in and told what to do. In this case that trait is our undoing I'm afraid.

Nice piece, NO mask NO entry is a policy that is pretty much common where I am located, and throw in an $800 fine for not wearing one in public places, compliance is pretty close to 100%.

I practically applauded when I received that email from Undercurrent. I pretty much stopped reading SB when I saw reports of people traveling through airports, etc., for dive trips. I recognize I could be a hazard to others, despite my best efforts to distance and wear a mask and, when available, get tested. As much as I yearn to get back to dive travel like everyone else, I recognize our pastime is “non-essential.” Travel can wait until next year.

Altruism? In the USA? Yeah. Ok.

BUT...... If strapping a Glock to your face would stop the spread of the virus, we would be down to zero cases.

I have to admit, I read "Glock" too quickly and had a very different initial reaction to your comment. Rhymes with...

Saw that when the email went out. It really needs to be said. I lost count of the number of people I've talked to who thought the masks were worn to protect the wearer. People just don't realize that.

Unfortunately, a small number who do realize it still don't wear them. Those are the truly vile.

I have to admit, I read "Glock" as a very different word.
You know, until about 2010 I had never even seen a firearm in person. Well, other than on the hip of a cop. I always assumed the "protected by Glock" bumper stickers that are so common meant the person had one of those silly steering wheel lock things. True story.

As Americans we hate being boxed in and told what to do.
Yes, some feel that way. Others are not so egocentric and actually care about other people. It is a balancing act: is what one being asked to do have more benefits than downside? If one believes nonsense lies about there being no danger to the virus, no benefits to social distancing and masks, then it is all downside. Easy decision, but based on seriously and dangerously bad information.

You can see the difference in worldviews when people explain their beliefs regarding many practices related to Covid-19. For some people it is all about the risk (or supposed lack of it) to them as individuals. For others it is all about their duty to protect the community as a whole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom