Modifying a hood with velcro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esprise Me

Kelp forest dweller
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about buying a large or extra-large hood with a bib (I wear a medium) so that I can cut it down the front, sew in some velcro, and have something that's easier to remove without creating a million tiny knots in my hair. The hood I'm looking at is $35, so not a tragedy if it doesn't work out and I lose that money, but enough that I thought I'd ask for input here first. Any chance of this working? Is there something other than velcro I should try?

I know I could use a beanie, but that wouldn't protect my neck. My drysuit has a quick-change latex neck seal with a pocket to hold the bib of my hood, and since I only dive dry when it's too cold for my 7mm wetsuit with hood and gloves, I don't want to give up that insulation. The hair thing is really only a problem with repetitive dives where I'm removing and replacing my hood several times. When I do repetitive dives in a wetsuit, I just leave my hood on until I'm done. But I can't pull down my drysuit to use the bathroom without taking the hood off. And of course, repetitive dives are another scenario where I'm more likely to want my drysuit.

I almost had to chop my hair off last time, the knots were so bad. Any other long-hair management suggestions welcome, though I've spent some time Googling the problem already and tried most of the ideas out there. Thanks!

Maybe, if I could keep it from sliding off when I pull off the hood and neck seal...

I think the velcro idea is good but not sure about cutting it down the front...can envision some issues with the chin and closure. Maybe cut and velcro it just enough up the back of the head to allow you to spread the flaps and remove it rather than 'pull' it off?

I'm thinking about buying a large or extra-large hood with a bib (I wear a medium) so that I can cut it down the front, sew in some velcro, and have something that's easier to remove without creating a million tiny knots in my hair. The hood I'm looking at is $35, so not a tragedy if it doesn't work out and I lose that money, but enough that I thought I'd ask for input here first. Any chance of this working? Is there something other than velcro I should try?

I know I could use a beanie, but that wouldn't protect my neck. My drysuit has a quick-change latex neck seal with a pocket to hold the bib of my hood, and since I only dive dry when it's too cold for my 7mm wetsuit with hood and gloves, I don't want to give up that insulation. The hair thing is really only a problem with repetitive dives where I'm removing and replacing my hood several times. When I do repetitive dives in a wetsuit, I just leave my hood on until I'm done. But I can't pull down my drysuit to use the bathroom without taking the hood off. And of course, repetitive dives are another scenario where I'm more likely to want my drysuit.

I almost had to chop my hair off last time, the knots were so bad. Any other long-hair management suggestions welcome, though I've spent some time Googling the problem already and tried most of the ideas out there. Thanks!

Hello Esprise Me,

From a woman's perspective, and from one who does a lot of sewing, forget the Velcro, sew in a good quality plastic zipper.

With Velcro you need enough fabric to lap, which you don't have, with a zipper, you will actually gain a little fabric, as opposed to losing any.

You may also have to sew in a flap or tongue, as any zipper or Velcro will seriously irritate your chin, neck, Adam's apple.

You may want to reconsider relocating your zipper to the back, or just buy a rear zipper hood...there are tons to choose from.

I wear a long neck Waterproof hood, not really a bib as commonly known by the large flair, I love it, no zipper, long neck tucks nicely into dry suit warm collar, and stays put.

Best of luck on your retro fit.

Rose.

Personally, I prefer a rear zipper hood. I have had zero issues with tangled hair, but I realize that all hair is not the same. I have also found that a merino lined hood is easier to doff and don in regards to pulling hair.

DW

Hi Esprise Me! Not directly related to your modify question - but simply a recommendation for knotted hair. Our Stream2Sea Leave-In Conditioner is incredible for smooth silky knot-free hair while diving! Smells amazing and tested and proven safe for aquatic life! Biodegradable Leave-In Hair Conditioner | Stream2Sea

Thanks for the tips everyone! I do use @Stream2Sea leave-in conditioner and it really helps; I had problems with knots after donning and doffing the hood even without doing it repeatedly before I got my hands on that stuff. @Dark Wolf I looked at some of those zippered hoods, but I didn't see any with a bib; if anyone has any specific suggestions for ones that will work well with the latex zip seal/ warm collar pocket drysuit I'm all ears. @JackOfDiamonds interesting idea, not sure if a regular swim cap would stay on as I pulled off the hood and neck seal but maybe I'll try one of those thin beanies with a chin strap under the hood, and just keep that on till I'm done diving. With gobs of leave-in conditioner under it.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I do use @Stream2Sea leave-in conditioner and it really helps; I had problems with knots after donning and doffing the hood even without doing it repeatedly before I got my hands on that stuff. @Dark Wolf I looked at some of those zippered hoods, but I didn't see any with a bib; if anyone has any specific suggestions for ones that will work well with the latex zip seal/ warm collar pocket drysuit I'm all ears. @JackOfDiamonds interesting idea, not sure if a regular swim cap would stay on as I pulled off the hood and neck seal but maybe I'll try one of those thin beanies with a chin strap under the hood, and just keep that on till I'm done diving. With gobs of leave-in conditioner under it.

Quantum Stretch Vented Zip Hood

I know Leisure Pro had them at one time, with or without merino wool lining. Not sure if they still do.

DW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom