"Technical." Dive Computers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice article, thanks for sharing. Interesting presentation of each computer, a very wide selection.

Has anyone seen the TDC3 MultiDeco IRL ? I've been hearing about it for 2 or 3 years but failed to meet or to chat with anyone who owns or has tried one... I'm quite found of the MultiDeco software, that's why I'm so curious about it.

As far as Dive Computer EU is concerned, I've seen one and cannot say I was impressed, not in the least...

No issues with the article. Thanks for the link.

I quibble with a line from his description of the Perdix, and that quibbling affects my overall impression of the article.

He says the Perdix comes with Buhlmann ZHL-16C, and you can "upgrade" to VPM-B, which he calls "the most popular technical dive planning software." Well, it is very likely that VPM-B was the most popular technical dive planning software 5-6 years ago, but I sincerely doubt that is true today. I am pretty sure Andy uses it, but that would make him the only technical diver I know who does. VPM-B was in vogue during the time when deep stops were all the rage, but with that rage having largely subsided, it is no longer held in such esteem. In the circles in which I travel, it is quite the opposite.

If you go to the many deep stop threads on ScubaBoard, Rebreather World, or any of a number of scuba forums, you will see raging debates about this topic, with pretty much everyone arguing against deep stops and only Ross Hemingway (author of Multi-deco) arguing in favor of them. Ross particularly likes VPM-B, but he has become a lonely voice who has been banned by most of those forums, including ScubaBoard. Mark Powell, author of Deco for Divers, was once a strong proponent of deep stops and VPM-B, but he has jumped off that bandwagon as well.

Unless something has changed in the last year, Andy Davis is still very much in favor of deep stops, including for recreational diving. A year or two ago his FaceBook feed ridiculed PADI for not joining the deep stops revolution and making deep stops a mandatory part of OW training.

So, I have to read his analysis while keeping that bias in mind.

Hello, everyone. Just posting some 'Sunday Reading." #1
Well,.....Sunday in some parts of the World.
The Best Technical Diving Computers 2019 %
Cheers.

Hello Boston Breaker,

I did a quick scan of your attachment, so I guess as far as my computer is concerned, I'm in good company.

I have a Shearwater Petrel 2 EXT. I bought it with the intention that it would take me safely to the depths that I decided later I would not be going to, and for the fifteen minutes that I was considering a rebreather, it would have served that purpose well.

I love the computer, and I'm glad it was my choice. It keeps me safe at 150 feet, and that's good.

I was told when I bought it that it was the last computer I would ever need, and that's also good.

Rose

I am pretty sure Andy uses it, but that would make him the only technical diver I know who does.

Well, you can add me to the list ! :p More seriously, I dive regularly on trimix using VPM-B, and I'm not the only one this side of the pond. :wink:

Btw, I've no intention of setting alight an old quarrel again or trolling that post. It was just a bit of high spirit. :D

Well, you can add me to the list ! :p More seriously, I dive regularly on trimix using VPM-B, and I'm not the only one this side of the pond. :wink:

Btw, I've no intention of setting alight an old quarrel again or trolling that post. It was just a bit of high spirit. :D

Well, said. Many contributors on here believe their word is "Church."
Oh.............for a measure, not to be "Off Topic." I'll add this......A dive computer algorithm is, in essence, a set of mathematical formulas used to calculate safe dive limits, factoring in a variety of real-time measurements, such as depth, time at that depth, water temperature, gas mix, cylinder pressure, ascent rate, etc.
Just learning, the S.B. nuances. :wink:
Cheers.

Many contributors on here believe their word is "Church."
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by this.
Oh.............for a measure, not to be "Off Topic." I'll add this......A dive computer algorithm is, in essence, a set of mathematical formulas used to calculate safe dive limits, factoring in a variety of real-time measurements, such as depth, time at that depth, water temperature, gas mix, cylinder pressure, ascent rate, etc.
Just learning, the S.B. nuances.
1. very few use water temperature
2. What are the SB nuances?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom