• Screen, color or not

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Style, watch puck, console

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Other, designate below

Votes: 43 31.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I concur. I bought my first Suunto Cobra nearly 20 years ago. (It was nearly a thousand dollars.) Yikes. I still have (2) of them....haven't used them in years.
The Author of this page, at the bottom makes his "Suunto." opinion known.
he Best Technical Diving Computers 2019 %
Have a great day @boulderjohn Again.....I always enjoy your post.
Cheers.
Andy Davis used to post here quite a lot. Some of his reviews, of Suunto Eon for example, have not included him doing dives with the actual computer. He doesn’t seem believe that Suunto make technical dive computers of any sort.

I have done a load of deco dives with a Zoop, including Trimix dives on pre cut tables which would bend it. Until the gas switch it is quite happy. Back then my main computer was a HelO2. That was eventually a backup to a Shearwater integrated a rebreather. When I eventually bought a second Shearwater for a backup I would end up diving OC with the HelO2 and a Perdix. All this time I had buddies with various combinations of Shearwater and Suunto, sometimes with 30 Or 40 Minutes of accelerated deco.

Algorithms are not very important.

As I just wrote, it will lock you out if you ascend too quickly after being in decompression.

Summary: I do not believe there is any computer currently on the market that will shut down simply because you go into deco. I believe they will all try to get you safely to the surface through mandatory stops. Most will shut down if you do not do those mandatory stops, but not until then.

My experience is limited. But, I am not aware of any computer that will lock you out of anything while you're still in the water. Period.

What computer(s) do you know of that will do that?

The only computers I have experienced either never lock you out at all, or only lock you in gauge mode if you get out of the water (usually for 5 minutes or longer) with an unsatisfied deco obligation.

I have never heard of a computer that will, for example, indicate a stop at 20', have you ignore it and go to, for example, 10', then lock you out because you skipped the 20' stop. The ones I've had experience with would only lock you in gauge mode if you ignore the required stops and get out of the water altogether. Then, AFTER you are out of the water, it would lock you in Gauge mode (aka Violation Gauge Mode or VGM).

Andy Davis used to post here quite a lot. Some of his reviews, of Suunto Eon for example, have not included him doing dives with the actual computer. He doesn’t seem believe that Suunto make technical dive computers of any sort.

I have done a load of deco dives with a Zoop, including Trimix dives on pre cut tables which would bend it. Until the gas switch it is quite happy. Back then my main computer was a HelO2. That was eventually a backup to a Shearwater integrated a rebreather. When I eventually bought a second Shearwater for a backup I would end up diving OC with the HelO2 and a Perdix. All this time I had buddies with various combinations of Shearwater and Suunto, sometimes with 30 Or 40 Minutes of accelerated deco.

Algorithms are not very important.

Algorithms are not very important? Really? What Suunto computer is being used for "Accelerated Decompression."
Cheers.

Algorithms are not very important? Really? What Suunto computer is being used for "Accelerated Decompression."
Cheers.
Usually all Suuntos other than the bottom couple of models do multiple gases. So not Zoop (£190) but Vyper (£290) and above can switch to a deco gas when you are shallow enough.

At the end of the day the algorithms are trying to achieve the same thing using similar techniques so oddly enough the outcomes are very similar. Even messing with GF doesn’t make a huge difference, for a 40 minute 45m dive switch from 50/85 to 50/75 adds just 8 minutes and 30/85 5 minutes. This is like 15 bar of deco gas.

I have never heard of a computer that will, for example, indicate a stop at 20', have you ignore it and go to, for example, 10', then lock you out because you skipped the 20' stop

A Zoop will. Take it to 60m for a bit with it set to 21%. Use 40 and 80 for deco, by the time you get to about 8m it is telling you to stop, your other computer, the one that knows about the 40 and 80, will let you go to 6 and 3 minutes later the Zoop will only show depth and time.

It is quite hard to bend one assuming you didn’t run out of gas or completely forget to look at it. That is why I think the people claiming these things have not seen it happen, or incompetent people are running the dives.

A Zoop will. Take it to 60m for a bit with it set to 21%. Use 40 and 80 for deco, by the time you get to about 8m it is telling you to stop, your other computer, the one that knows about the 40 and 80, will let you go to 6 and 3 minutes later the Zoop will only show depth and time.

It is quite hard to bend one assuming you didn’t run out of gas or completely forget to look at it. That is why I think the people claiming these things have not seen it happen, or incompetent people are running the dives.

Hey, Ken. Thanks for that. The confusion here (For me, anyway.) has been brought "More to light." I believe.
The O.P by @scubadada was
"Single most important factor in choosing a recreational dive computer."
"Recreational Dive Computer." being the operative context.
Excerpt from my post...(Short version.) I chose "Decompression algorithm." as the "Single." most important. I tend to be very academic.It's not really by choice, it's just how my brain works. I did read the O.P. and, it clearly stated "Recreational."
Excerpt from my post. So, Why would I choose that one?
Excert from my post. Hypothetical situation: Let's say that you didn't have any real reference point, went deeper than planned, and you've exceeded your N.D.L. by a very wide margin?
Regardless of how it happened your now facing a "Deco Obligation." :skull: Their are many "Recreational.' dive computers that will "lock you out."
What do you do then? Just pull your decompression table, out of your cargo pocket, and use your watch, and depth gauge. No problem....Right?
Right.:confined: Now your'e essentially "Trapped." underwater. If, your not properly trained for this? Wouldn't it be nice to have some assistance?
Pheeew! So, to reiterate. (As, simply as, I can.) I was merely stating that......If, I was doing a dive for "Recreation." and found myself "Accidentally." or by no fault of my own, in an emergency situation. I would want a computer that would handle it appropriately.
I am just as guilty, as anyone else as far as, misreading a post. I think, with some of the responses here......That may have happened. My first response has numerous words in "Bold." type that were intended (Mainly.) to emphasize the type of computer, which was "Recreational."
Recreational dives, and Recreational computers....aren't typically used for "Accelerated decompression."
I hope this brings some clarification?
My choice is still "Decompression Algorithm."

:cheers:

Excert from my post. Hypothetical situation: Let's say that you didn't have any real reference point, went deeper than planned, and you've exceeded your N.D.L. by a very wide margin?
Regardless of how it happened your now facing a "Deco Obligation." :skull: Their are many "Recreational.' dive computers that will "lock you out."
What do you do then? Just pull your decompression table, out of your cargo pocket, and use your watch, and depth gauge. No problem....Right?
Right.:confined: Now your'e essentially "Trapped." underwater.
Why do you persist in this? No computer on the market today will lock you out just because you went into deco. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

My experience is limited. But, I am not aware of any computer that will lock you out of anything while you're still in the water. Period.

To respond to both....

I was doing a deep deco dive with a friend who had just purchased a dive shop. We had planned the dive on desktop software, which we planned to execute using bottom timers. Because he had just bought a dive shop, Suunto had given him a HelO2 computer to try out, and he took it along to see what it would do. He set the options as best as he could to match the desktop program we were using. We followed the desktop ascent profile perfectly, but the Suunto was not at all happy with us. It wanted us to stop deeper, and it wanted us to stay deep longer. We followed the desktop plan, and on the 30 foot stop, the Suunto went into error mode.

So, the Suunto HelO2 does accelerated decompression, and it will lock you out while you are still in the water if you ascend sooner than it wants you to. (At least, that was true back then.)

Why do you persist in this? No computer on the market today will lock you out just because you went into deco. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

I was merely trying to make a clarification, If, I caused any confusion.There's no need to be rude, or arrogant (Which, seems somewhat difficult for you.?) Not everyone has money, and may buy used, or older gear, and ....Please, forgive me....I didn't see the clause that stated it had to be "On the market today."
Edit; I was only trying to provide information, and make people aware.
Dive Computers that DO NOT lock out
The Suunto HelO2 is "Not." a "Recreational Dive Computer."
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom