Why choose GUE Rec-1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your experience is why I am so frustrated that there appears to be no organized instruction except GUE that is focused on producing better diving, at least in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is unfathomable (pun intended) to me that PADI pushes some "master diver" thing that is entirely worthless, GUE is "our way or the highway", no one is offering a course that helps you become a good to excellent diver in your own gear. Glad your daughter had such a good experience.
I am currently unaware of any recognized training agency that conducts their entry level scuba course like GUE. Not saying there are not great "non GUE" instructors out there teaching and teaching above their agency standards, just that there are no other options with the same standards as GUE Rec 1.

UTD Scuba Diving based in San Diego was the first to structure their courses with traditionally technical level diving concepts and DIR gear configurations in a recreational setting from day zero. One of the founders, Andrew Georgitsis, was the training director for GUE and sought to bring DIR and technical safety protocols to the recreational community; however, Andrew received significant push back from the GUE community that only after several years saw the value in Andrew's original intent.

The brand has since gone through several changes to include a recent overhaul and separation from UTD Equipment, which has divested the agency of the pitfalls in building an agency around the requirements for certain equipment and gone back to the basics with an emphasis on quality training. All of our instructors are subject to a yearly video review of both in-water and lecture work to maintain teaching status.

I'm part of the UTD instructor pool in Maryland, but you can find independent instructors ranging from recreational courses through the highest level of tech across the US.

Zach Kennedy

I don't think they've seen any value yet . . . :coffee:

I agree, Jack. A Rec program like that takes decades to build a report for, and GUE has only been around for 20 years. However, I believe their Rec program has a lot to offer, and if and when they decide to lean into it—they will start to see some great results. On the other hand, finding that someone to lead said program might be difficult with all the blood, sweat, and tears, it takes to become a GUE diver and instructor—I could see where teaching open water courses would not be high on the list for some.

With all of that said, I think their Rec program is quality over quantity, and I try to spread the word as much as I can to those divers or would-be divers who want an immersive program and not a puppy mill.

Did not want to get into the UDT/GUE fight. UDT's Recreational program is not the same as GUE Rec 1, and I purposely checked before I even started this thread, had it been the same I would have referenced it.

But good for UDT to keep up the fight.

Did not want to get into the UDT/GUE fight. UDT's Recreational program is not the same as GUE Rec 1, and I purposely checked before I even started this thread, had it been the same I would have referenced it.

But good for UDT to keep up the fight.

Bit of thread drift, but let's just make sure that information is accurate. GUE Announced their Recreational Class in 2005, though it took a couple of years to become fully formed. IIRC UTD didn't exist until 2008, after AG had spent some time with Naui. AG was removed from GUE for unprofessional behaviour, and I'm sure that if you can be bothered, you could even find the notice regarding this out there on the internet. This happened in around September 2005.
It's not true therefore to suggest that GUE have modelled their Recreational Training on that offered by UTD, as a) GUE offered if before UTD existed, and b) no-one involved in the creation of GUE's recreational offerings have had anything to do with UTD.

Thanks
John

Bit of thread drift, but let's just make sure that information is accurate.
John

Thanks John for chiming in, I knew some of the history but not enough to quote it.

... content of UTD Essentials of Rec 1 versus GUE Rec 1....They are fundamentally the same course .

Per the UDT website (and I just read it), the UDT class is 3 days, and it is taught on air. GUE Rec 1 is a minimum of 5 days (normally 6) and taught on Nitrox, 32% standard mix.

So I stand by my original quote, "I am currently unaware of any recognized training agency that conducts their entry level scuba course like GUE."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom