Dive Boat Report: Catalina Island Sunday 7-12-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shucksun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I crewed on the Giant Stride today and we put a group of divers on three spots at Catalina Island. After diving horrible viz down on the Yukon at San Diego on Friday I didn't know what to expect at Catalina. Today was absolutely beautiful above and below the water. Our diving sites were near Crane Point, Sea Fan Grotta and Doc's cove. All three offered beautiful surface conditions; warm, sunny, no swell and excellent viz for mid-summer at 30'-40'. If you want to go diving, don't hesitate because you may be greeted with similar excellent conditions.
Surface conditions at Dive One: https://flic.kr/p/2jkP3rV
Jeff "J" Reeb
Dark-Thirty Divers
The Giant Stride

Docs cove ? location?
Sam, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's just beyond Emerald Bay. You have a little indentation called Doctor's Cove, then a straight area called Doctor's Wall, and that ends at Arrow Point.

Jeff, does that sound about right?

Doctor's Cove has been an acknowledged name for quite some time. It is the closest point to the mainland (19.7 miles from there to Pt. Vicente). Not sure how it got its name though.

Doctor's Cove has been an acknowledged name for quite some time. It is the closest point to the mainland (19.7 miles from there to Pt. Vicente). Not sure how it got its name though.

Don't be coy, it is named after you isn't it? :D

I've been diving there a couple of times. Maybe on the GS. Didn't recall it being called Doc's Cove. but it is now! It will be "Dr. Bill's Cove" in my log book from now on.
Good Divin, Be Safe
SoCalRich

Sam, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's just beyond Emerald Bay. You have a little indentation called Doctor's Cove, then a straight area called Doctor's Wall, and that ends at Arrow Point.

Jeff, does that sound about right?
Yes, Ken I'd say that's where we were. I'm still learning all the islands features so I go by what others with more experience provide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom