Why choose GUE Rec-1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bit of thread drift, but let's just make sure that information is accurate. GUE Announced their Recreational Class in 2005, though it took a couple of years to become fully formed. IIRC UTD didn't exist until 2008, after AG had spent some time with Naui. AG was removed from GUE for unprofessional behaviour, and I'm sure that if you can be bothered, you could even find the notice regarding this out there on the internet. This happened in around September 2005.
It's not true therefore to suggest that GUE have modelled their Recreational Training on that offered by UTD, as a) GUE offered if before UTD existed, and b) no-one involved in the creation of GUE's recreational offerings have had anything to do with UTD.

Thanks
John
Happy to be corrected, my understanding is that before AG and GUE parted ways, AG was responsible for drawing up the syllabi for the rec programs and their implementation, so GUE did not model after UTD, but the same person had a hand in the development of both programs.

the UDT class is 3 days, and it is taught on air.

Recreational 1 | UTD Scuba Diving

Theres been a restructuring of the UTD course lineup. Rec 1 is 5-6 days and includes nitrox, OW is a new course which is air and 3-4 days. I have never seen a Rec 1 course conducted without nitrox, though it seems like it COULD be done as per standards, I imagine that is to cater for places with limited O2 facilities but that's me just guessing, I have been out of UTD for a few years now.

Happy to be corrected, my understanding is that before AG and GUE parted ways, AG was responsible for drawing up the syllabi for the rec programs and their implementation, so GUE did not model after UTD, but the same person had a hand in the development of both programs.
AG was expelled prior to GUE starting work on the recreational program.

AG was expelled prior to GUE starting work on the recreational program.
Arguing with GI3 on the internet in 2005 will do that lol. Andrew is no longer part of the instruction side of UTD either, he left that part of the business at least a year ago to focus on equipment.

Part of the reason nobody hears about UTD's Rec1 offering is because its mostly taught in Asia and us anglos don't see or read many course reports in mandarin. At least from the pictures I've seen, they do seem to be producing quality divers.

I was with you until the last sentence....Only once choice... LOL. I bet just about any instructor who taught a semi-private class for 6 straight days - would have a good portion of their students exhibiting control and not kicking the reef.

In Europe many shops offer a "VIP" option of the PADI OWD; don't they in the US?
It's not a standardized offering by PADI, only the shops adding value. More days, and/or smaller classes. Of course it costs more, some almost double the price. A Tec diving shop near my place (a TecRec IDC) offers only the VIP option - no more than 2 students per class, flexible appointments, go as slow as you need. Cheapest PADI OWD there is 600€ (=700 US$).

In Europe many shops offer a "VIP" option of the PADI OWD; don't they in the US?
It's not a standardized offering by PADI, only the shops adding value. More days, and/or smaller classes. Of course it costs more, some almost double the price. A Tec diving shop near my place (a TecRec IDC) offers only the VIP option - no more than 2 students per class, flexible appointments, go as slow as you need. Cheapest PADI OWD there is 600€ (=700 US$).
Or you do your padi training in a north german lake in December/January... same price and no other students :D

In Europe many shops offer a "VIP" option of the PADI OWD; don't they in the US?....

The "VIP" option does not seem to be a recognized offering by PADI. So there would be no consistency as what was being taught. PADI does have a "Peak Performance Buoyancy" specialty but looking at the picture on their website for that offering.....well....their definition of "Peak" seems to be different from GUE, and it is done in 2 dives. But good for those dive shops that teach a "VIP" offering, recognizing the deficiencies in the PADI curriculum.

I stand by my original statement.

The "VIP" option does not seem to be a recognized offering by PADI. So there would be no consistency as what was being taught. PADI does have a "Peak Performance Buoyancy" specialty but looking at the picture on their website for that offering.....well....their definition of "Peak" seems to be different from GUE, and it is done in 2 dives. But good for those dive shops that teach a "VIP" offering, recognizing the deficiencies in the PADI curriculum.

I stand by my original statement.

Yes VIP is not standardized by PADI. It just means if you're looking for a technical diving instructor teaching your kid 1:1 with a few extra days in DIR gear, you can get that with a PADI OWD card as well. But these VIP classes don't play a big role here anyway, too expensive. The more popular alternative is club diving. Their OWD level class takes 3-6 months with more training sessions and theory. They believe people shouldn't get an OWD card after only one week of practice no matter what agency sells it.

I apologize if this is off topic but I’m curious which GUE course would be most suited for me. I’m in my early 60’s, not overweight, look fit but could get in much better shape, which I am more than capable of doing with proper motivation. I really don’t need a card and some custom mentoring and training would be fine with me.

I have talked to a local GUE instructor and plan on diving with him after getting my drysuit replaced and get his thoughts but am open to additional input. (a mouse chewed a hole in my drysuit while it was in storage).

I bought most of the DIR style equipment while learning to dive and will only need to add the long hose configuration. (Halcyon BC, Hog 21W HID Can, Scubapro Jet fins, and my new drysuit will have pockets).

I have around 75 dives but haven’t been diving in over 4 years and haven’t been drysuit diving in our cool Puget Sound waters in over 5 years due to some medical issues. I am healthy now with a new hip and an ablation procedure to treat AfIB and flutter. I am on no medication, have a perfectly healthy heart and will be getting a checkup with my doctor before I dive but don’t expect any issues. I climbed Chief Mountain in Montana last year with no problem.

I got PADI OW certified in September 2011, PADI drysuit certified in November 2011, and NAUI ADV Scuba Diver in October 2012. Below is a link to a post summarizing my experience shortly after my ADV course.

Is learning from PADI that bad?

I really like the GUE principles and while I have no desire to dive deeper than 130 feet, dive caves or any type of tech diving I do want to refresh my skills and improve buoyancy, especially as I get comfortable in the water again and before I start taking my large DSLR housing with me.

I wish I had known of GUE when I was learning, or if it was even active in Seattle at the time.

Thanks.

...I’m curious which GUE course would be most suited for me. ....Thanks.

Fundamentals. It is the GUE catch all for those that were certified by any other agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom