About to break into the Solo World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back on topic though...I generally think everyone should get solo/self reliant certified..but I also think everyone should dive sidemount/dual sidemount...but that’s just because it’s my preference..

I think everyone should be self reliant and dive with redundancy. Not sure about sidemount. It’s a thing yes. I’d like to try it.

But my only interest really is having a redundant gas source, knowing how to get back home with enough gas, how to deal when things get tricky without getting panicked. Making sure people know when I should be back etc and other factors like a PLB, mirror etc.

Am looking forward to learning more.

My advice is for after your course, not during. When you solo dive, there is no buddy to look you over and ask about things. There may be no one in the water to help address an oversight after-the-fact. Since over the years I've managed to variously jump in with air not turned on, even once hit the water without fins, and since I've left a pair of expensive fins on a dive boat when I headed back to catch a cruise ship, I do a little regimented check list before I splash, and sometimes before I exit the boat (replacement fins cost money).

1.) Mask (touch it).
2.) Regulator (touch it).
3.) BCD (touch it).
4.) Boots (point at them).
5.) Fins (point at them).
6.) Dive computer 1 (touch).
7.) Dive computer 2 (touch).
8.) Camera (touch).
9.) Air is on (take small breath off regulator; check that low pressure inflator hose is connected - inject a little air so I see BCD bladder gets gas (in Bonaire where gear may be stripped down in the evening for a rinse, it's easy to forget to hook it back up).
10.) If all is good, make an 'Okay' sign with right hand and nod. Ritualized process and confirmation is important.

Because laziness, distractibility and taking things for granted are inherent to the human condition for me, do the above preferably 3 times before hitting the water. Don't gloss over the process like 'yeah, yeah, yeah' - focus on it. Also, get in the habit of securing your tank cam bands tightly (you likely already do).

A diligent, methodical process you ingrain in yourself is key preparation.

And I'm not particularly anal retentive or that diligent by nature.
Hello. Great post. Thanks for mentioning your mistakes.
10. Who are you giving the O.K. signal to? "Solo." Diving.
Cheers.

I’ve never seen/heard of a liveaboard allowing either irrespective of any qualification..
I've done Solo on SpoilSport and on the Turks and Caicos Explorer. Not tried it on others.

As the title states I am going to start my Solo diver course mid next month. What are the things I should be looking into and what should I expect. Any Knowledge that I can gain beforehand from those that have been doing it would be a great thing.

There are many great posts above already.

You should expect to learn about meticulous pre-dive checks, redundant gear, breathing gas reserves and other pre-emptive measures.

An advanced topic that will be discussed at some depth is: what could possibly go wrong?

This question is harder than one might think and it is an important one. Let me give you one example. I performed a solo dive once only to notice that the shore was fifteen inches higher that the water table and there was no bottom to stand on. Some pretty creative acrobatics followed and I was on dry land again, but with a sprain. I do not recall what muscle got teared but I can assure you it was painful. Getting back to the car while crawling on all fours was painful enough, and to climb in a nightmare, but it got worse at red lights as pain was interfering with my driving. I could have gotten killed in traffic had I not ignored the pain. What a dive accident that would have been! I had planned for everything... but not for difficulties controlling a car. We do not know what we do not know. Surprises! Afterwards we are a bit wiser but then it could be too late. I made a stupid mistake. The drop seemed to be a short one - untill I was in water!

10. Who are you giving the O.K. signal to? "Solo." Diving.

To myself. The point is a consistently performed mannerism of confirmation. Doesn't have to be an okay sign, could be anything, just so it becomes an ingrained habit. Especially for me...I'm one-track minded without a lot of situational awareness, and I need to be methodical on this.

An advanced topic that will be discussed at some depth is: what could possibly go wrong?

What you just described is what I consider one of the most valuable enduring lessons from the PADI Rescue Diver course several years ago. Trouble shoot before the dive, then be ready to 'stop-think-act' rather than 'panic-react.' I don't remember the various formal techniques for hauling divers onto various types of shoreline, but I remember that.

To myself. The point is a consistently performed mannerism of confirmation. Doesn't have to be an okay sign, could be anything, just so it becomes an ingrained habit. Especially for me...I'm one-track minded without a lot of situational awareness, and I need to be methodical on this.

What you just described is what I consider one of the most valuable enduring lessons from the PADI Rescue Diver course several years ago. Trouble shoot before the dive, then be ready to 'stop-think-act' rather than 'panic-react.' I don't remember the various formal techniques for hauling divers onto various types of shoreline, but I remember that.

Yeah. Trouble shoot before the dive

as iteach both solo sdi and padi self reliant ........they are not the same course, the goals are different....even though padi advertises the self reliant as just that they do not endorse , diving ALONE , that is why some dive charters/LOB dont see it as a solo diver cert . if you are doing a course to do a LOB check if they recognize the padi course as a solo cert
Hello. I think that would be interesting......Would you start a thread with the differences, or add links that would compare the 2 Agencies?
Cheers.
:cheers:

Thanks for your take on that. I’ll dwell on it as I think you’re right. Solo encompasses more. Particularly sites you haven’t dived before. And many other things like letting people know your plan, ETA, etc.

re knives. I was only really taking the piss and I’m not a salvager so never found knives much use except to make up for a small penis. I used to have a big knife strapped to my calf. Looked awesome. Bitch to reach tho and guaranteed cramp!! So cutters and shears have always worked fine for me but I can see situations when a BFK could be useful, just not probably my scene.

But thanks for the insight

This discussion of cutting tools is really a function of where you are diving. Diving lakes in New Mexico or Arizona without knives, shears and/or small wirecutters is a fools errand. Too many farmers and ranchers from the early to mid 1900's used massive amounts of barbed wire for their fencing before the reservoirs were filled and they are quite hazardous when you accidentally bump into one. More importantly, they are all over the place.

Generally, you can see the fences entering the water from the shoreline, but occasionally, the ranchers would remove the fencing to the waters edge and leave the rest in the water where they couldn't get to it. If you've got limited visibility and accidentally bump into one, you'll reach for those small wirecutters and cut it away.

Combine this with a heavily fished reservoir and you can find many nice surprises in your environment where you can't have too many cutting tools...

Back
Top Bottom