Current Situation on Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given how bad the situation is in the US I can’t believe they’re letting people in. We are struggling with a resurgence here in Japan, potentially because the military has started sending troops back to Japan...

The situation is not bad in the US- unless you are talking about our hysterical media that is blatantly lying about things. You may be seeing the headlines about how many cases we have but the US media doesn't generally report that :
-in Florida some of the reporting agencies were only reporting the positive cases and leaving out the negative results making the high percentage of positive results misleading.
-that all over the US anyone who has covid and then dies- no matter the cause- is reported as a covid death because then the government will pay for all the medical costs. So if you have had a stroke, and then die from it with covid- that is a covid death.
-the number of people who are getting ill, let alone gravely ill, is miniscule.

So many problems would be fixed if we would all just stay home when we are ill, wash our hands, clean surfaces more and take care of ourselves. We also need to be more careful around our family and friends who are old, medically compromised, etc.

I am grateful for those of you that read the fine print on these web sites. It has saved me a lot of problems. It seems a lot of countries will not accept the rapid results tests and the other PCR tests take too long to meet the requirements for some countries. So some countries insist the test be 5 days ahead of arrival but the lab results take 7-10 days to get due to time to culture the specimen and then a backlog of tests to be done. It is too bad because the people in these countries need their tourism back. And we need them too.

I am contemplating booking a trip to the Maldives. I guess I need to avoid Emirates so not a lot of choices. Oh well

Just to correct on how long a PCR test takes: 3-8 hours at Frankfurt Airport for 59 EUR - 139 EUR. Please look here.
And now. happy to hear every single cliché about Germans...:coffee:

Good point- I don't need to look it up- I am sure you are right. In the US- it is taking 7-10 days because apparently "everyone" wants one and they are free. So I think we have a lot of people here getting tested who don't really need one. I would gladly pay for one if I could get it in time but that is not an option here.

I have been on a few trips with your countrymen and enjoyed their company so no cliches from me :)

The situation is not bad in the US- unless you are talking about our hysterical media that is blatantly lying about things. You may be seeing the headlines about how many cases we have but the US media doesn't generally report that :
-in Florida some of the reporting agencies were only reporting the positive cases and leaving out the negative results making the high percentage of positive results misleading.
-that all over the US anyone who has covid and then dies- no matter the cause- is reported as a covid death because then the government will pay for all the medical costs. So if you have had a stroke, and then die from it with covid- that is a covid death.
-the number of people who are getting ill, let alone gravely ill, is miniscule.

So many problems would be fixed if we would all just stay home when we are ill, wash our hands, clean surfaces more and take care of ourselves. We also need to be more careful around our family and friends who are old, medically compromised, etc.

I am grateful for those of you that read the fine print on these web sites. It has saved me a lot of problems. It seems a lot of countries will not accept the rapid results tests and the other PCR tests take too long to meet the requirements for some countries. So some countries insist the test be 5 days ahead of arrival but the lab results take 7-10 days to get due to time to culture the specimen and then a backlog of tests to be done. It is too bad because the people in these countries need their tourism back. And we need them too.

I am contemplating booking a trip to the Maldives. I guess I need to avoid Emirates so not a lot of choices. Oh well
I don’t know how you’ve managed to talk yourself into it, but the situation truly is one of the worst on earth. Maybe Brazil and Indian could be worse, but is that the company the USA should be keeping?

With all due respect to some who minimize this issue in the US: Over 136,000 people have died and left their families in grief and sadness. We are in a public health emergency situation. Please be sensitive to the loss of other human beings around you.
Yes media is hyping it; yes people die from other causes of death as well, but 136,000 and continuing upwards is not something for a country to be proud of.

I am not minimizing it. But the 136,000 death figure includes people who died with covid and not because of it. If someone gets hit by a car and dies and they also had covid- this would be the sort of inclusion that would drive the numbers artificially high. That is happening in the US.

I don't know why you accuse me of minimizing the tragedy of this sickness or a lack of sensitivity either.

I for one, will always be proud of being an American.

Folks, may i ask to come back to Scuba related topics, please.
I enjoy this board because people stay on topic and are not starting any political discussions. I know that sometines it may be easy to fire an answer back, but please keep your mood under control, remember your last diving experience and leave opinions opinions.

Please. Thank you.

I am not minimizing it. But the 136,000 death figure includes people who died with covid and not because of it. If someone gets hit by a car and dies and they also had covid- this would be the sort of inclusion that would drive the numbers artificially high.
I think it's much more likely that the COVID deaths have been under counted, especially when you consider unattended deaths or those written off as pneumonias or cardiac related.

Maldives are re-opened to tourism.... but I should wait a while :

Capture.jpg

no comment, just figures

JustSurfaceInterval is right, it's a board dedicated to diving, so, even if some countries are named, good or bad, let's try to stay calm, cool and courteous.

:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom