Back to RED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NO, no no, just no.

The Federal government makes recommendations and last night they changed Q Roo to red or closed but they have always said it is up to the state government, the federal folks would not interfere with the local folks.

The State government makes their announcements on Thursday at 8pm and that announcement was no changes, that the southern part is red and the northern part is orange. We are open, for now that is. hospital occupancy on Cozumel is getting higher, it's at 67% - they've already mentioned possibly transferring patients to Playa or Cancun.....

Federal government says all beaches are closed but the state says only local beaches are closed - while you're sitting on your lounge chair at the hotel beach, thank the tourism mafia for allowing you to use the beach while the guy bringing you a drink can't take his wife and family to the beach

The state government says that at orange, dive boats can operate at 30% capacity - thank the port captain for his email over riding that decision and allowing boats to operate at 50% of their rated capacity, not park permitted capacity.

Cozumel remains open at least thru the 26th in Orange status per the Governors statement on the 16th .

I didn’t mean to come off as harsh.

States here have autonomy to where they can make decisions for themselves, the federal government is just making recommendations. Q Roo has determined that tourism is a vital source of income and using that reasoning to do their own thing.

I didn’t mean to come off as harsh.

You didn't. To the contrary, I really appreciate you stepping in with the clarification. I'm still on the island, and my brother is flying in today to do some diving next week. I got really damn concerned before I scrolled down to your post! Thanks, and stay safe!

Federal government says all beaches are closed but the state says only local beaches are closed - while you're sitting on your lounge chair at the hotel beach, thank the tourism mafia for allowing you to use the beach while the guy bringing you a drink can't take his wife and family to the beach

One other thing, on this - I've been walking all over the place, just as recently as last night, and the locals were out on pretty much every beach that I saw, including the one right downtown. Is that prohibition just being ignored?

One other thing, on this - I've been walking all over the place, just as recently as last night, and the locals were out on pretty much every beach that I saw, including the one right downtown. Is that prohibition just being ignored?

Yes and no pretty much. There’s two beaches that they were really focused on, one just north of Hemingway’s and the other just south of the carry ferry. There’s beaches on the east side too but I’m not sure which ones. On a typical Sunday, those two beaches would be packed, my neighbor said a few weeks ago the car ferry beach was overflowing.

I think while we aren’t supposed to be on public beaches, a few weeks ago, the police were sorta letting things slide - they live here too. When it got out of hand and cases were rising, they did a little sweep and taping things off to put on a show of force. It seems like that lasted a weekend lol, they just don’t want people grouping together and really I applaud how they’ve handled it.

Yes they are closed but enforcement as long as there’s common sense doesn’t seem to be happening so much

What's the prediction for the beginning of September? Thinking of booking of Delta and doing the bag drag.

What's the prediction for the beginning of September? Thinking of booking of Delta and doing the bag drag.
Do you normally bet on horse races? This would be a better bet as while no one knows what's going to happen or change on the ground there by then, at least with this bet you can cancel at the last minute without loss. At least you can a voucher for the ticket cost and some cases a full refund.

Opinions vary, but mine is that the local powers are going to do their best to keep the local tourist areas at least orange, deserved or not, and they need the income and voters need to be fed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom