Looking for exotic dive destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow!, Thank you for such a detailed and enlightening post! After looking online the other day, the sea lions really got my attention. After reading responses I've gotten Belize and Fiji are coming up strong. Everyone is putting out really great info... Thanks

Between those two for me hands down Fiji. I really enjoyed Belize as well but they are different and Fiji fits my diving preference better. Belize was gentle drift dives a few sharks and decent coral. Fiji we had some dives with ripping current, sharks on every dive including a 17 ft Tiger one dive I counted seven different types of sharks. Also hard and soft coral on everything.

Between those two for me hands down Fiji. I really enjoyed Belize as well but they are different and Fiji fits my diving preference better. Belize was gentle drift dives a few sharks and decent coral. Fiji we had some dives with ripping current, sharks on every dive including a 17 ft Tiger one dive I counted seven different types of sharks. Also hard and soft coral on everything.

Belize is a great beginner trip, and then Fiji can be your second or third trip. Decision agony solved!

If you want to hit the Caribbean, here are a couple good ones in safe environments that I've tried and liked.

Stuart's Cove in the Bahamas for a Shark Dive
The shark dive will meet your requirement for big animals. You get up close and personal with them. Resorts are everywhere on the Island.
Stuart Cove's | Nassau Bahamas Aqua Adventures - Stuart Coves - Bahamas Dive Shop & Tours - Stuart Coves - Bahamas Dive Shop & Tours

East End of Grand Cayman
Located on the sleepy east end of Grand Cayman, is Compass Point Dive Resort. Its a great little resort. Wake up, out the door on to the dock for great diving with a great dive operator who knows how to take care of its clients. Lots of good diving.
Home
Best Cayman Islands Scuba Diving & Snorkeling Trips - Ocean Frontiers

USVI-St. John
Very relaxing (if expensive) vacation spot. Fly to St. Thomas and take the ferry over to St. John where the resort will pick you up. St. John is definitely on my happy place list and your wife will love it. If you go there, dive the shelfs off Little St. James and the USS Rhone. My other favorite spot is just around the northern corner from Cruz Bay.

https://divelowkey.com/
https://gallowspointresort.com/

I cannot speak for Stuart’s Cove shopping or beach, or StJ beaches, but will say the EE of Grand Cayman will not tick either of those boxes. GC is not a great shopping destination although rambling around George Town or Camana Bay on the west side are choices and depending on the time of year, windward side of any Caribbean island can present wind issues during winter months. Great for the diver not so much for someone craving shopping/beach.

If you want to hit the Caribbean, here are a couple good ones in safe environments that I've tried and liked.

Stuart's Cove in the Bahamas for a Shark Dive
The shark dive will meet your requirement for big animals. You get up close and personal with them. Resorts are everywhere on the Island.
Stuart Cove's | Nassau Bahamas Aqua Adventures - Stuart Coves - Bahamas Dive Shop & Tours - Stuart Coves - Bahamas Dive Shop & Tours

East End of Grand Cayman
Located on the sleepy east end of Grand Cayman, is Compass Point Dive Resort. Its a great little resort. Wake up, out the door on to the dock for great diving with a great dive operator who knows how to take care of its clients. Lots of good diving.
Home
Best Cayman Islands Scuba Diving & Snorkeling Trips - Ocean Frontiers

USVI-St. John
Very relaxing (if expensive) vacation spot. Fly to St. Thomas and take the ferry over to St. John where the resort will pick you up. St. John is definitely on my happy place list and your wife will love it. If you go there, dive the shelfs off Little St. James and the USS Rhone. My other favorite spot is just around the northern corner from Cruz Bay.

Low Key Watersports | St. John Scuba Diving - Dive Shop
St John Hotel | Gallows Point Resort | St. John USVI

I been wanting to go to USVI for years....thanks for the input

I would LOVE to do this! But that part about my wife not being adventurous would not do well here...

She doesn't have to know, we will keep it a secret :)

After reading responses I've gotten Belize and Fiji are coming up strong.

Scuba Board did a group trip, called an Invasion, to Fiji in 2019 and that forum section should have a lot of info. you can use. Other than knowing it's farther afield than the Caribbean and said to be big on soft corals and a great destination, I don't recall much about Fiji and have never been.

I've been to Belize via live-aboard (and on a cruise ship stop), but you don't likely take a non-diver on a live-aboard trip. Belize is not an island, it's a nation, and has diverse offerings but confronts you with choices. The best diving is said to be farther out (hence the popularity of far atolls like Turneffe for land-based trips, or live-aboard trips). When you research it on the forum, I think you will see some main themes:

1.) Ambergris Caye - large, long island near the mainland that I take it is touristy, and a good base for people who want to dive conveniently but do other things, too.

2.) Caye Caulker - island that's more rustic/laid back, likely not what you're looking for (I'm guessing) but you'll see it mentioned.

3.) Turneffe Atoll - farther from the mainland, a resort here can be pricy, maybe better diving. Turneffe Island Resort.

4.) Mainland Belize - Has a lot of non-diving things to do; I really enjoyed a cruise excursion by boat up the New River to walk the rain forest and visit 3 (and climb atop 2) large Mayan ruins. For a mainland-based trip, I've seen Splash Diver Center in Placencia repeatedly praised.

5.) Belize City has a reputation for being 'rough' in places. I doubt you will want to spend a week based right in it, but read about in on forum threads and judge for yourself.

Other people can give you way more first-hand info. on those options; I thought a cursory overview might help get you started searching, if Belize is the place you want to be.

Couples tower Isle Jamaica fantastic dive crew. It's an all inclusive resort plenty to do for wife. Just got back friday was awesome. My wife does not dive either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom