Bahamas closes again to flights from the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ni
Unless... you had and can fly on 2 passports with dual nationality... say you had no luggage (So the origin tags weren’t flagged) you flew from the US to Toronto on a US passport...made a break for it in Toronto past the last customs collector and entered the arrivals hall as opposed to staying in transit..didn’t get arrested and then checked in for the flight on a separate uk passport and lied and said that you had been in Toronto for over 2 weeks ( as long as you had a perm residency card)... that might work... you could get there with what you have in carryon luggage.. the illegal entry to a country, breaking quarantine laws in Canada and lying to border control in 2 separate countries might get you some time if you were caught...but I’d be interested to see if you can get away with it..
Nicely done.

Last time I checked the numbers (admittedly, it's been 4 or more days) the EU's numbers were worse than the US. (adding Spain, Italy, France, UK, and Germany together, they have a similar population - so the comparison is easy). Perhaps that has changed in the past few days?

Last time I checked the numbers (admittedly, it's been 4 or more days) the EU's numbers were worse than the US. (adding Spain, Italy, France, UK, and Germany together, they have a similar population - so the comparison is easy). Perhaps that has changed in the past few days?
I think your stats might be off a little there... it isn’t really even close.

( granted, I’m not including any ‘conspiracy’ sources....)

Edited: Excluding the UK, Europe has somewhere around 880,000 I think and the US has somewhere around 1.95 million... and that’s the whole of Europe including Russia..and with 130 million more people in Europe than the US..

but there could be 1 million active cases in the UK I suppose.. I’m not sure. Although on;y 295k cases have been confirmed in the UK since the start of the pandemic, so it’s unlikely that the uk’s inclusion would add more than around 60,000 maximum, so still likely a million under the US and the graphs are currently going in opposite directions..

@Kimela. I generally agree with your posts, but I believe you are incorrect on this issue. If you check the WHO website, WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Dashboard, you can easily see the stats and the "curves" for every country. Just click on a country and compare that country to any other for information on confirmed cases and deaths. The difference between the U.S. and the EU is that the EU did what the scientists, medical experts, and epidemiologists said was required to flatten and then depress the Covid-19 curves. Because we did not do what was needed, our Covid curves are going in the opposite direction from those in the EU and many other countries that lack our capabilities. As a result, we are now a pariah for international travel, and I do not blame any country for banning entry to Americans. Politics and pestilence are not a good mix, and they do not bode well for us.

@Kimela. I generally agree with your posts, but I believe you are incorrect on this issue. If you check the WHO website, WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Dashboard, you can easily see the stats and the "curves" for every country. Just click on a country and compare that country to any other for information on confirmed cases and deaths. The difference between the U.S. and the EU is that the EU did what the scientists, medical experts, and epidemiologists said was required to flatten and then depress the Covid-19 curves. Because we did not do what was needed, our Covid curves are going in the opposite direction from those in the EU and many other countries that lack our capabilities. As a result, we are now a pariah for international travel, and I do not blame any country for banning entry to Americans. Politics and pestilence are not a good mix, and they do not bode well for us.
NYC did! Why don’t you step outside your own home and preach to thy fello neighbor. Then head to Florida and Arizona ....stay well.

Just click on a country and compare that country to any other for information on confirmed cases and deaths.

My data is a week old - the source for COVID info is the ncov2019.live website (not the gold standard but not bunk either). When you compare the US population (328.3 million) to that of the EU countries (325.6 million) and go from there, we don't look so bad. The US deaths as a percent of population is .042 versus the EU's .045. Granted, those numbers may have changed dramatically over the past 7 days - and maybe I'll update my excel spreadsheet in the morning and give you an update. It's not accurate (IMO) to compare US to individual countries that have a fraction of the population (or are geographically significantly different, as in island nations) - some have done MUCH better and some much worse. But when looking at something that seems more 'apples to apples' it seems to make more sense. I'm open to the possibility I'm not looking at things from the right angle in terms of statistical analysis - not my forte and I've made errors in data entry so am willing to admit to errors if you see any - but I do like my spreadsheets. :)

I'm curious how the ncov2019.live website differs from the Johns Hopkins website, and how that differs from the WHO website. I haven't looked at the data side by side, but if they're all getting their information from the same sources they would agree, wouldn't they? SO many variables ... and we are entirely dependent on a governmental or international organization to provide accurate info ... and they are dependent on local sources to provide it to them. So many possible problems in the chain of information.

Attachments

• COVID Europe v US July 12.xlsx
    10.4 KB · Views: 68
I think most reputable outlets would find it hard to argue that ‘active cases’ isn’t the main relevant statistic in this situation. (Likely case trajectory as a second statistic)

dead people/ deaths per population etc. Isn’t really a key statistic when determining borders to close. dead people generally aren’t really a danger to anyone cross border.

@Kimela. and I do not blame any country for banning entry to Americans. Politics and pestilence are not a good mix, and they do not bode well for us.

Can we also Just reiterate that generally Americans are not banned, individuals coming from America directly who have not quarantined in an approved location for 14 days are..(for the most part).

I try to correct that ‘Accidental’ statement as much as I can as I feel it often inadvertently adds fuel to the misguided fire that for some reason these places have an issue with Americans in particular as opposed to the geographic issue of the infection.

NYC did! Why don’t you step outside your own home and preach to thy fello neighbor. Then head to Florida and Arizona ....stay well.

My comments were not meant as an attack on Kimela, but obviously you perceived my reply as such. So I apologize for failure to communicate. As I said, I generally agree with her posts, but believe her information was incorrect . Yes, NY did what had to be done, as did some other states, and significantly flattened their curves. Unfortunately, the dumb ass county and state where I live, and others you mentioned, did not do what was necessary, and as a result I will have to continue avoiding travel beyond the necessities. Luckily, I live on a lake in a rural area, so self-quarantining could be a lot worse. As far as go forth and preach, my fellow neighbors are very nice people, but I would have better luck trying to convince a fence post to wear a mask and social distance.

Back
Top Bottom