Would you choose a "Technical." Dive Computer for "Recreational." Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really? I disagree with this completely. If you're hitting any sort of depth below 80FSW, then you are affected by narcosis. Only the fool thinks they are completely immune and the fact that many don't "feel" it, shows just how insidious it is. On the other hand, your PDC never ever gets narced. It remembers the details of your dive far better than you ever will and in far greater detail. Frankly, the people who dive their PDCs in gauge mode scare the snot out of me. Why? Your brain will fail you on almost every dive and it often hides the fact that it has failed. PDCs are great until they do something so radical that you can't help but notice the flaw.

Moreover, we rely on many tools to get us back safe. Your regulator, the boat your diving off, the car you got to boat in and the list can go on.

I remember when I did my deep for advanced. The instructor gave me a complex math problem on the surface and a similar one at 70 feet since we had a platform he had me sit on it to eliminate the not sitting variable. Took me over twice as long at 70 and got the answer wrong...... so I'm narced at 70 and don't even know it. I notice at 100.

I remember when I did my deep for advanced. The instructor gave me a complex math problem on the surface and a similar one at 70 feet since we had a platform he had me sit on it to eliminate the not sitting variable. Took me over twice as long at 70 and got the answer wrong...... so I'm narced at 70 and don't even know it. I notice at 100.
The most dangerous diver is the one who thinks they are immune to narcosis.

from all my other posts on this subject I will say the shearwater. more pricise to the question If I were asked. I would tell them get a computer the you can use. Not be able to use with an instruction book but one you can use intuitive. You can find my other posts concerning computers. Its my opinion that you can buy many computers or you can buy one. the end cost is higher for low cost computers that are a hassle to operate or self maintain. I went through nearly 3k of computers before i got my 600$ preditor and the same for the petril years ago. does any rec diver need a tech computer no. What difference is there between a rec and tec computer. probably little. its more display than anything else. I will say that most tech computers assume you are going to use gloves so the interface is glove friendly. gas selected display format is a little different. and menu options are a little different. the tech side of the computer taught me a lot regarding gradient factors and simple things like altitude input. things like that vary greatly between the 2. I dont have to do any compensating for "high altitude"diving. it does everything itself. there are threads concerning that also. other computers you have to make a setting to get it right. there is a down side to it also. you have to set the computer right for the dive. In the rec world it makes little difference untill accidental deco is entered , in that regard. It is especially nice to have a bank of gasses created to select from to do those predive settings quickly. air 31 32 33 will cover most anything a rec diver would ever need and you can select the closest from that list. The tissue graph was something that got me to learn much more about onloading and offloading. After a little bit of learning you start to figure out how to use the information in ways that no one else is using, mostly because the others do not have it avaiilable to the diver. If I have a choice i will take a tech computer and run it in rec mode. Again is it necessary . no but if you are an inquiring mind person and are not a 10 dive a year vacation diver (which should rent and not buy) then there is a lot to gain by the more tech info available.

Recreational dive computers have very safe profiles.
Technical dive computers allow you to set very aggressive profiles.

I agree with most everything in your posts except the first sentence in the above quote. I think most recreational computers come, out of the box, with very aggressive profiles. I know my Oceanics are probably running the equivalent of a GFHi of 95 unless you affirmatively add conservatism. My Shearwater at 50/80, let alone 30/70 as it came from the factory, gave far less no deco time than any of the recreational computers buddies were using.

Totally right that a novice user could set to 100/100 or something, but unless they are using conservative factors, they are running much closer to the edge on a recreational computer than a "tech" computer with preset GF.

That said, get what you can (1) read, (2) work, (3) afford. If you think you might go tech one day, t plenty of good options that will grow with you. Otherwise don't waste the $. Either way, learn to build conservatism into your computer.

As has been pointed out its not just about the software. I maintain that the very first consideration in a dive computer is readability the next is menu navigation.

Here we call 10ft vis really good. I've have to move my arms out of trim to read my perdix and I have 20/20 vision. When I decided to get a new computer I needed one I could easily read. This pretty much put me into the "tech computer" category right there. I played with a couple and found the perdix to best fit the ease of navigation category. So the best computer for ME was the perdix. The user changeable AA battery was a huge plus as well.

So did I choose a "tech" computer for rec diving yes, because it fit MY needs the best. Other people might not need s big colored screen do perhaps a smaller computer would be better for them. As with most rec dive gear it is what best fits each diver.

Really? I disagree with this completely. If you're hitting any sort of depth below 80FSW, then you are affected by narcosis. Only the fool thinks they are completely immune and the fact that many don't "feel" it, shows just how insidious it is. On the other hand, your PDC never ever gets narced. It remembers the details of your dive far better than you ever will and in far greater detail. Frankly, the people who dive their PDCs in gauge mode scare the snot out of me. Why? Your brain will fail you on almost every dive and it often hides the fact that it has failed. PDCs are great until they do something so radical that you can't help but notice the flaw.

Moreover, we rely on many tools to get us back safe. Your regulator, the boat your diving off, the car you got to boat in and the list can go on.
I agree with you but are we not talking about rec dives?
And I am not against computers, I am against people following blindly their computer without having a clue of what the information provided means.
Rec level is the perfect time to.start thinking at what you are doing and why and you don't need a.top of the range device for that.

If you're hitting any sort of depth below 80FSW, then you are affected by narcosis.
I am sure I am affected by narcosis even shallower!

I take photographs on ALL my dives and I'm usually set up for macro. I have a GoPro on my rig for anything larger than I can photograph but also for anything interesting that video will do better. So many times I've seen something while diving that I didn't think to video as shallow as 10m (33') but as soon as I got back to the surface it's become clear to me that I should have.

I'm not saying I'm off my face narced but I know that I'm not thinking as clearly as I would be at the surface.

To bring it back to the topic, a dive computer can help you make better decisions as you are diving (and may be affected by narcosis).

From my experience as an active instructor who teaches at all levels especially recreational level, if the recreational user isn't shielded from the technical features somehow, it will lead to errors in use and potentially the diver will get hurt. For beginner divers, it is VERY confusing and intimidating to say the least and I have seen and dealt with these beginner divers putting in the wrong configurations/settings in the computers where they almost got hurt. Not everyone is a diving or dive computer aficionado and hence there should be differentiation in the menu and settings available to recreational and technical divers. If the diver has no intention of going to technical diving, then there is no reason on earth for them at all to buy a technical diving computer.

I know that Ratio Computers allows you to upgrade their computers to a higher level (more technical diving) license when you want to use their more advanced/technical features for a license fee but you can buy their entry level computer (it is still a very comprehensive computer) and never have to pay anything extra if you don't need the features.

Saying that they should buy a technical dive computer as recreational divers who have no intention of going the tech. diving route or who are still beginners, is a crime.
Hello. I may have read too much into your reply? You seem to have lumped "Beginning Divers." into a category, and that they should be "Shielded." I firmly believe in being enthusiastic, and promoting, and sharing their excitement in this new found realm (Diving.) If, it where me? I would help them (To the best of my ability.) with whatever PDC that they chose. I wouldn't deter them.
You stated "If the diver has no intention of going to technical diving, then there is no reason on earth for them at all to buy a technical diving computer."
I can see many advantages to buying a "Technical." dive computer, one being the algorithm, (Accounting for diver error.) No one said they "Should?" the question was posed as "Would."
Did anyone know how to operate a dive computer, before, they actually held one in their hands? (Perhaps, some.)
Of course, we are not aficionados....That's why we come to instructors.....to be taught.
Cheers.

Many younger folks are much more tech savvy than we, older divers, may have been. I'm not worried that they would be overwhelmed by the technology. Everyone should be encouraged to make an informed decision to acquire a computer that has the features they need or want. I now require Buhlmann with custom GF. I have also grown quite fond of SurfGF

Back
Top Bottom