Cape Cod... too dangerous or okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The discussion is interesting but it all comes down to the numbers, how many divers are in the waters is an area, how many shark sightings by scuba divers, how many shark attacks? We might not hear about the sightings but without a doubt every single shark attack will hit the news big time. If I'm not mistaken there has only been one shark attack in the last 80 years on cape cod. Not sure about RI.

The discussion is interesting but it all comes down to the numbers, how many divers are in the waters is an area, how many shark sightings by scuba divers, how many shark attacks? We might not hear about the sightings but without a doubt every single shark attack will hit the news big time. If I'm not mistaken there has only been one shark attack in the last 80 years on cape cod. Not sure about RI.

I am not aware of any shark attacks in RI waters on anyone. The one in Buzzards Bay 80 years while reported as a GW it has long been suspected that it was a very large Goosefish instead.

I am not aware of any shark attacks in RI waters on anyone. The one in Buzzards Bay 80 years while reported as a GW it has long been suspected that it was a very large Goosefish instead.

We have at least 4 confirmed sightings in Buzzards Bay (2 additional confirmed off Goosebury this year in June) in the past 3 years. And numerous pings from the tagged sharks usually early June before they head to the seal buffet.

I passed a very dead seal on my way to Cuttyhunk 3 weeks ago just off Dumpling Rocks.

We have at least 4 confirmed sightings in Buzzards Bay (2 additional confirmed off Goosebury this year in June) in the past 3 years. And numerous pings from the tagged sharks usually early June before they head to the seal buffet.

I passed a very dead seal on my way to Cuttyhunk 3 weeks ago just off Dumpling Rocks.

So the sharks are eating seals. What about attacks on humans in cape waters?

Right I heard there were GWs off the cape. Nobody in RI waters has ever been bitten by any kind of shark at least that know of. That was what you quoted of mine was concerning RI waters not MA right?

Yes let's hope we don't lose any of those lovely creatures.

I'm all for culling the seal population to reduce the amount of GWs in NE waters, less food less sharks.

I don't want GWs around while I'm in the water anymore than I want Grizzly or Kodiak bears around when I'm camping. Bears are lovely creatures also but they too are large and capable of unintentional killing.

I don't want GWs around while I'm in the water anymore than I want Grizzly or Kodiak bears around when I'm camping. Bears are lovely creatures also but they too are large and capable of unintentional killing.

If you have bears around when you're camping, you're camping wrong. Bring a stinky salami, hang it from a tree a good way from camp, and they'll fart around there all night. Also, bring some bacon grease. If any nearby campers are obnoxiously loud, sneak over and smear it on their tent. It'll keep the bears away from your campsite.

If you have bears around when you're camping, you're camping wrong. Bring a stinky salami, hang it from a tree a good way from camp, and they'll fart around there all night. Also, bring some bacon grease. If any nearby campers are obnoxiously loud, sneak over and smear it on their tent. It'll keep the bears away from your campsite.

Thanks, there aren't any dangerous bears in RI, and I don't intend to camp where there are any, just as I wouldn't dive where I knew there was a GW(s) in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom