Cape Cod... too dangerous or okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi folks-

My mom lives on Cape Cod (Dennis) and of course, she'd like me to visit more often.

I know there's diving on the North Shore and so on, but is there any diving actually ON the Cape? In other words, after the bridge?

Of course, everyone's talking about the GW's in the area because of all the seals. BUT WHO DOESN'T LOVE SEALS? I mean, I'd love to swim with seals. And if not that, at least grab some mussels or lobsters for dinner (I know, I need a permit).

And if the sharks don't get me, I'll be damned if I have't seen the most irresponsible "recreational lobster boaters" out there. It's like the wild west out there. (At least on the bay side)

Whaddaya think?
Hello......You guys are killing me. (Making me "Homesick.") You didn't say which bridge, but, you mentioned Dennis. So, I'll go with the Sagamore. Your actually quite close to a site called "Barnstable Ledge." which has a depth of approximately 60ft. A very beautiful dive, of course, I'm partial to the area.:wink: You'll have to research dive shops, and get information. I've been away for awhile. Years ago, they used to have a saying "If, you can dive in New England, you can dive anywhere." Back when, I was diving that area some of the Charter boats actually required you to have at least 25 New England logged dives......Sounds odd, but true. Actually, while typing this I thought of Wayne, he owns Divers Market in Plymouth. He's a good friend of mine, and would be more than happy to answer your questions.Good luck with your en devours.
Cheers.

Chicken.....? :p

They say if you can dive NE you can dive anywhere. They also say there aren't many old bold divers. I'm one because I know when NOT to be bold. :wink:

They say if you can dive NE you can dive anywhere. They also say there aren't many old bold divers. I'm one because I know when NOT to be bold. :wink:
Wooaaaah. AD. I've been accosted enough here on S.B. Now your'e calling me bald? :rofl3:
Cheers.......:wink:

So the sharks are eating seals. What about attacks on humans in cape waters?

There was a death down the lower Cape in Wellfleet from a GW in 2018 and a couple other non fatal since I think.
I can't imagine diving off the Cape would be anything but sand, not to mention freezing.
I grew up diving for lobster off of the Islands of Boston harbor and the viz was usually arms length and ice cold temps. I've never heard of any decent Cape dives. I've been down the Cape almost every summer of my life and I personally love diving with sharks, but I don't even swim down the Cape anymore. Still cautiously wade tho.
The White Shark Conservancy has an app that tracks shark sightings.

Nothing about diving in a constructive wetsuit in 65°water with 20' and ambush predators says "let's go!" to me. I like scallops and lobster, but I will be happy to buy them at the store.

There was a death down the lower Cape in Wellfleet from a GW in 2018 and a couple other non fatal since I think.
I can't imagine diving off the Cape would be anything but sand, not to mention freezing.
I grew up diving for lobster off of the Islands of Boston harbor and the viz was usually arms length and ice cold temps. I've never heard of any decent Cape dives. I've been down the Cape almost every summer of my life and I personally love diving with sharks, but I don't even swim down the Cape anymore. Still cautiously wade tho.
The White Shark Conservancy has an app that tracks shark sightings.

Woods Hole, Falmouth and the south west part of the Cape is actually very rocky as well as the canal not unlike Newport. I dove off the nuke plant in Manamot years ago, that was rocky and loaded with lobsters. Further east is where it becomes mostly sand. Cuttyhunk is great diving if you have a boat.

Nothing about diving in a constructive wetsuit in 65°water with 20' and ambush predators says "let's go!" to me. I like scallops and lobster, but I will be happy to buy them at the store.

Got to agree with that! However I don't eat any seafood I haven't harvested myself. There are plenty of sites that have bugs and scallops but no seals within 50 miles....in the summer. The winter brings seals to Fox Island deep in Narraganset Bay, which means GWs have to pass a lot shoreline to get there. There have been dead seals found in the bay during the winter none in the summer that I'm aware of. The entrance to the bay is 200FSW and very busy with large ship traffic. I have no trouble imaging a GW swimming along the bottom of the channel entering the bay on its way to lunch.

There have been dead seals found in the bay during the winter none in the summer that I'm aware of.

Anybody commented on whether those dead seals had chunks bitten out of them? Curious as to whether we should assume 'dead seal' = 'great white kill,' or maybe other causes are in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom