Shearwater live streaming update July 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grrrr, text is too fuzzy to read on my phone... What are features

peregrine photo.png
peregrine blurb.png
peregrine details.png
peregrine features.png
peregrine also.png
peregrine about.png
peregrine sport nitrox.png
peregrine tech tip.png

I'll wait for the AI. I don't really care about the compass, but I do have several PPS transmitters already. AI adds only $86 to the cost of a Perdix. I assume it has SurfGF like the Teric and Perdix.

With AI, this might be the perfect computer for my diving:)

Hummm. I might consider it as a backup computer. I'm in the market for one since I sold my old Petrel. I don't really need AI for a backup as it's pretty much in my pocket the whole time.

I'm still not a fan of the rechargeable battery. For me the risk of a flood caused by user replaceable batteries is lower than the hassle of having the battery replaced every 5 years. I've owned 2 Petrels and 1 Perdix and have never had a flood. The battery cap design plus simple precautions and attention to detail when changing the battery lower the risk of a flood to a negligible chance. But that's just me.

Still ... I'll give the computer a close look to serve as a backup to my Perdix AI.

I must say I'm upset about the lack of compass here quite a bit. Don't care too much about AI or type of battery, but at the cost of Peregrine + SK8 one is already dangerously close to OSTC Sport, which would allow the tech upgrade unlike the Peregrine.

Still, great that pretty screens are making their way to the mid-price segment.

I must say I'm upset about the lack of compass here quite a bit. Don't care too much about AI or type of battery, but at the cost of Peregrine + SK8 one is already dangerously close to OSTC Sport, which would allow the tech upgrade unlike the Peregrine.

Still, great that pretty screens are making their way to the mid-price segment.
To be fair.... They haven't announced the product yet, it's entirely possible that the compass is there, just not expressly mentioned...

To be fair.... They haven't announced the product yet, it's entirely possible that the compass is there, just not expressly mentioned...

Unless the description posted above taken from the DGE website was inaccurate, the compass is explicitly mentioned to not be there (comparison to Perdix/Teric).

Please, Shearwater is trying to keep this a secret until Thursday. If you know, bask in the glory, but please keep it to yourself. Thanks.

I know! they reverse engineered the Suunto Eon Steel firmware and if you buy one of the fine Shearwater devices you also get their new shearwater on Eon SW so you have matching
primary and spare computers. The real amazing job they did is how they allow either device to talk to either pressure transducer / sender to enable multiple transducer AI in those combinations.
Oh, so you think I may have had a coffee to much or such? Yeah, OK ... but Suunto deserves a bit of needling for still keeping the EON steel not so compatible with everything in the Buehlman world... While Shearwater is of course having no reason whatsoever to do anything about it, that they would seems about as likely as Suunto ever actually will... to me that is...

If it is a $450 computer and has AI, huge win.

If it does not have AI (or a version/option with AI), then it is a hard fail. Just in my opinion, of course.

I have a couple of students right now (both, Nitrox, and one Advanced) that are in the market for computers. If it has AI, a $450 Shearwater computer would undoubtedly be my top recommendation. If it does not have AI, then I will most likely stick with my current recommendation of the Deep6 Gear computer at $275. At the level they are diving and will be diving for the foreseeable future, a black and white LCD screen more than meets their needs.

IMO, AI is overrated and encourages divers to rely on their gear rather than skills/good practices. Maybe there is a situation in more technical diving than i am doing now where AI is hugely beneficial?

Transmittters have gotten more reliable for sure but i still see too many failures for my taste. If you are using a hosed spg backup, you dont get the benefit of "streamlining" either.

I know i am swimming upstream against a raging torrent on this so i am donning my asbestos jockey shorts LOL!

Besides, i am sure SW will appreciate this thread going off topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom